Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   In a pickle with the front PTO (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53508)

TexasP 10-02-2018 08:00 PM

In a pickle with the front PTO

Help! I've put myself in a hard spot and I am hoping someone out there has been here and can help me out. I was trying to remove the front pto off my 70 cub cadet and one of the top screws rounded out. Then to make matters worse, the ease out broke in the top of the screw......I know....it felt like it was moving. Any one have any ideas where to go from here?

Bamafan 10-02-2018 08:21 PM

A three jaw puller and impact wrench, lots of pb blaster over a day or so, that's what I had to do on my 100. May be a better way but it pissed me off.

cooperino 10-02-2018 08:40 PM

all I can say is.. Relax.. Your not sunk yet. Slow it down and really take your time and let the penetrating oil "not WD40" set in and do its work. It takes time and patience.. Is there anything left to grab? lets see a pic

J-Mech 10-02-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 468252)
all I can say is.. Relax.. Your not sunk yet. Slow it down and really take your time and let the penetrating oil "not WD40" set in and do its work. It takes time and patience.. Is there anything left to grab? lets see a pic

Have you ever dealt with this on a PTO Coop?

cooperino 10-02-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 468254)
Have you ever dealt with this on a PTO Coop?

Yup.. sure have... You?

J-Mech 10-02-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 468255)
Yup.. sure have... You?

Yep. But I'll just listen. Cause, he's got issues.

cooperino 10-02-2018 09:37 PM

Yup, no doubt an issue but if he can get the easy out out, still doable. Like I said, patience will be key.

TexasP 10-02-2018 10:06 PM

J-Mech, you're right about having issues. I also tried to drill after the ease out broke to try to get another foot hold. Presently nothing to get a hold of. Bamafan might be right. Although I have heard of some high dollar drill bits that might drill through it. I just knew if anyone has had this issue before, they'd be here.

J-Mech 10-02-2018 10:10 PM

What brand of easy out was it?
What type of drill bit did you try?
Did you get the other 4 set screws out?

cooperino 10-03-2018 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasP (Post 468262)
J-Mech, you're right about having issues. I also tried to drill after the ease out broke to try to get another foot hold. Presently nothing to get a hold of. Bamafan might be right. Although I have heard of some high dollar drill bits that might drill through it. I just knew if anyone has had this issue before, they'd be here.

With cheaper easy outs you might get away with drilling. However, Better easy outs are tough to drill. In this situation I have used my dremel tool with a long narrow slightly pointed grinder on it. I was able to grind away the easy out and make a new hole for the next extractor tool. I would continue to soak with penetrating oil. I like to use a 50 50 mix of ATF and acetone. Also with extractors, I never use heat when using them. It seems all the heat quickly disperses to the extractor which can cause them to break more easily.

Jon brings up a good point.. You do know there are 2 set screws per hole yes?? Did the others come out ok?