Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   The Tool Shed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Lamenting the demise of Craftsman tools (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51260)

sawdustdad 02-09-2018 10:07 AM

Lamenting the demise of Craftsman tools

2 Attachment(s)
I was thinking about all the tools in the shop and there are a couple that I go to frequently, even though I've got multiples of each, these two seem to be my "go to" items.

If ever there was truth to the adage, "they don't make them like they used to" it's true of some classic Craftsman tools. When I first started buying tools (about 1972) Craftsman was the market leader.

I've got at least 4 different calipers, dial, digitial, vernier. This craftsman caliper is the one I pick up most frequently. It's great quality, solid and works. No batteries.

I have a half dozen tap and die sets, but this set is the most durable, and cuts better than any of the others. In 30 years, I've only ever ruined one tap, the 5/16 NC. I've replaced it with a new Irwin tap, but the old Craftsman taps seem to last forever.

What trusty Craftsman tools do you have that you keep using despite all the new stuff on the market?

R Bedell 02-09-2018 01:21 PM

I agree. But I stopped buying Craftsman 20+ yrs ago. Never again.
:angry:

athomas 02-09-2018 03:25 PM

Most of my stuff is craftsman from the late sixties and early seventies with some later proto ,snap-on and williams mixed in . Not to much tool troubles but I find it hard to find a good screwdriver, some I have 40 years old are better than the new ones after a few uses !

john hall 02-09-2018 08:13 PM

I miss the old Craftsman tape measures. I bought my standard one back in 1990. Every time the scale got too worn to use or torn I carried it back for another. Think they replaced it 4 times in about 25 years. The last one I noticed the quality was getting "cheap". Finally the last time I carried it back I was told this would be the last replacement as they no longer honored lifetime warranties on tape measures. I picked out a comparable Stanley to replace it--the quality just ain't there folks. My metric tape measure is still from 1990, the first meter or so is worn pretty bad, but since I can't replace it with another metric (this was a catalog item), I'll just keep it.

jbrewer 05-01-2018 07:11 PM

I have a lot of Cman, along with Snappy, Proto, Cornwell, and other truck brand tools. The Craftsman set I got with my first paycheck after getting out of college is still working fine.

I've augmented the rollaround with a bunch of older high quality tools bought off of garagejournal.com and ebay. The 50's 60's craftsman stuff is really nice.

One can never have too many quality tools :-):beerchug:

zippy1 05-02-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athomas (Post 445955)
Most of my stuff is craftsman from the late sixties and early seventies with some later proto ,snap-on and williams mixed in . Not to much tool troubles but I find it hard to find a good screwdriver, some I have 40 years old are better than the new ones after a few uses !

You want GOOD screwdrivers, buy Snap-on. Don't get any better.:beerchug:
As for Craftsman tools. I've got a set of ignition wrenches. Most have been replaced numerous times. But I've really noticed, the quality has really tanked over the years, compared to the originals, from 1979.:bash2:

jaynjeep 05-02-2018 09:45 PM

I have a craftsman 1/4 drive socket set that I bought as a kid in the mid 80's to work on Cubs with! It has the round ratchet with the quick release button on the ratchet along with the thumbwheel.. best ratchet craftsman ever had (made by Easco) I also have the same ratchet in 3/8.. Saved money from cutting grass and working on Cub Cadets to buy my first tools with!:beerchug: But like others said.. I quit buying Craftsman 8 or 10 years ago.. Quality is gone!

nophun 05-07-2018 06:36 PM

Craftsman will be coming back at Lowe's starting with USA made toolboxes on Father's day this year. The boxes will be made in Sedalia MO at the Waterloo plant(I think Stanley B&D acquired them).
There has been talk of moving hand tool production back home as well. The folks at Lowe's only know vague detail, but the guy here said they will be rolling products out for an entire year or more.
This is 3rd hand info, but the guy at Lowe's showed me boxes clearly marked Craftsman in the top of their shelving.

jbrewer 05-07-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nophun (Post 452930)
Craftsman will be coming back at Lowe's starting with USA made toolboxes on Father's day this year. The boxes will be made in Sedalia MO at the Waterloo plant(I think Stanley B&D acquired them).
There has been talk of moving hand tool production back home as well. The folks at Lowe's only know vague detail, but the guy here said they will be rolling products out for an entire year or more.
This is 3rd hand info, but the guy at Lowe's showed me boxes clearly marked Craftsman in the top of their shelving.

I hope you're right, but Lowes are the ones that closed out all the US made Kobalt tools some yrs ago in favor of Chinese made Kobalt tools.

sawdustdad 05-07-2018 09:46 PM

Seems to make sense that Lowes would be bringing in a new line of tool boxes, the local stores are nearly sold out of any Kobalt tool boxes and the remaining ones are on sale.