Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Welcome to OnlyCubCadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Don't even own a cub....yet! (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34117)

Beer Belly 08-19-2014 06:22 AM

Don't even own a cub....yet!

Hi all.
I have wanted a cub for years. I had a JD 112 (k241) I sold, a Yanmar YM155d I sold, now I am looking for a Cub. I like the narrow frames the best. I am eying a 124,and a 70 but I keep getting the "look" from wife!

We'll see how this pans out...wish me luck!

Does anyone have any thoughts on ones to avoid or to look for?

Anyway...great site, keep 'em running, and one day I hope to join the club. :beerchug:

GrotenhuisCubs 08-19-2014 07:30 AM

I think your right on with a 124, great old tractor!

Beer Belly 08-19-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrotenhuisCubs (Post 281605)
I think your right on with a 124, great old tractor!

I have only had email contact with the 124 guy. Hey said the shifter is getting sloppy, and he used some washers in place of the missing "teaser spring"???

Any idea what he is talking about before I make the hour drive to go look at it, and is that spring available? Or should I run for the hills!

Thanks

PaulS 08-19-2014 08:50 AM

Welcome!! What you describe on the 124 can be fairly easily fixed although a bit of work. I have never had the shifter problems but have changed a few teaser springs. That spring is part of the clutch assembly and requires some work to get to but is not near as hard as engine work. If the tractor is in working condition and the owner does not think that yellow paint is pure gold neither of the described problems would be a show stopper for me.

ACecil 08-19-2014 11:19 AM

Welcome to OCC. Any cub you get will be a good one.

cubs-n-bxrs 08-19-2014 11:59 AM

Welcome to OCC. Good luck on the Cub hunt. All Cubs are good ones but I think the wide frame Cubs are easier to work on. The shifter issue on the one Cub is an easy fix if you get it. Where in the great state of NY do you reside?

hdsdcouple 08-19-2014 05:11 PM

LOL welcome to the forum.

I will sell you a couple of mine

Beer Belly 08-19-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs (Post 281661)
Welcome to OCC. Good luck on the Cub hunt. All Cubs are good ones but I think the wide frame Cubs are easier to work on. The shifter issue on the one Cub is an easy fix if you get it. Where in the great state of NY do you reside?

Columbia county.

I have been trying subliminal suggestion to wife. I insert "cub cadet" in every conversation. I think it is working! I asked her, out of the blue, what her favorite color is, and she said YELLOW! I am making progress! It is good to be me.......maybe!

Beer Belly 08-19-2014 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACecil (Post 281647)
Welcome to OCC. Any cub you get will be a good one.

Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs (Post 281661)

I was an auto mechanic for years...what it all comes down to is EVERYTHING is a PITA to work on!:Explode:
Quote:

Originally Posted by hdsdcouple (Post 281731)
LOL welcome to the forum.

I will sell you a couple of mine

Thank you....what have you got? I only need one...for now!

cc_bob 08-19-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Belly (Post 281735)
I have been trying subliminal suggestion to wife.

You're doing it all wrong, bring home 3 tractors and when she complains sell one to make her happy:biggrin2:

All Cubs (especially the older ones) are great but it depends on what you want to do with it.