Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Engine removal (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53560)

Mudrig150 10-09-2018 07:49 AM

Engine removal

I'm going to be starting on the 1250's restoration soon, and I wanted to ask: Any tips for removing the engine? Mine's missing the lift hook and I don't want to damage anything trying to wrestle it out. Anything I should check with it out?

R Bedell 10-09-2018 08:29 AM

You have two options.

(A) Fabricate a Lift Hook, or

(B) Use brute force strength, and lift it out on your own.

:ThumbsUp:

cooperino 10-09-2018 08:31 AM

Bolt on a new hook.. Or a piece of chain through the bolt. Or do what I do.. Wrap your arms around it and just lift it out! Another method would be to belly wrap a strap right around the whole thing.

Terry C 10-09-2018 10:18 AM

Just lift it out.
Or if you have a buddy, weld a 1/2in long piece of pipe to a old head bolt. Take a three foot or so long piece of smaller pipe that will go thru the welded on pipe and one person on each side of the pipe and lift it out.

twoton 10-09-2018 10:57 AM

If you're pulling the engine, figure on fixing the slop between the cross channel and the front axle too. So, block up the tractor frame, remove the front axle and roll it out of the way. Remove the ISO rail to oil pan bolts and blah, blah, blah.....:BlahBlah:

.....then lift the engine out.

Mudrig150 10-09-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoton (Post 469000)
If you're pulling the engine, figure on fixing the slop between the cross channel and the front axle too. So, block up the tractor frame, remove the front axle and roll it out of the way. Remove the ISO rail to oil pan bolts and blah, blah, blah.....:BlahBlah:

.....then lift the engine out.

Can't you just unbolt the cradle and then lift the engine out? My front axle doesn't really have play, so I don't need to deal with that.

cooperino 10-09-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudrig150 (Post 469011)
Can't you just unbolt the cradle and then lift the engine out? My front axle doesn't really have play, so I don't need to deal with that.

Yes.. you can.. What he was saying is. Now is a good time to take care of the front axle with the engine out

Mudrig150 10-09-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 469012)
Yes.. you can.. What he was saying is. Now is a good time to take care of the front axle with the engine out

Don't you have to take the front axle out to remove one of the cradle bolts?
I guess I'll remove it to check out the axle pin and change the arm on the steering box.

twoton 10-09-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudrig150 (Post 469011)

Yes you can, but... there are 'ears' on the front ends of the cradle rails where the snubbers are that can make it tricky to lift the engine and rails out as a unit. Especially if you are lifting it out by hand. If you have a lift/hoist its a different story.

R Bedell 10-09-2018 02:34 PM

The front axle has NOTHING to do with engine removal.