Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Welcome to OnlyCubCadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Advice Needed (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53278)

CarlaP 09-06-2018 10:47 AM

Advice Needed

Hi from Tenino WA!

I took my Cub Cadet in for new belt and service; ended up having to have both belts and the spindles replaced (to the tune of almost $800). Picked it up, and the very first time I tried to use it, it died repeatedly when I engaged the PTO. I finally got it to run, but it surges and slows repeatedly when I engage the PTO, even after being warmed up. Called the shop immediately and was told this had nothing to do with their work, and to just use the choke while the PTO is engaged. HUH? They also assured me they "tested everything out" before I picked it up. No way they engaged that PTO! The mower has NEVER done this before. Just looking for advice for ammo to use when they try to charge me for fixing something they caused! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

R Bedell 09-06-2018 11:05 AM

First, welcome to OCC... :Welcome2:

It is impossible to answer any of your questions because no one here knows what model of Tractor, nor Mower Deck model you are talking about.

:bigthink:

:Huh:

:HeadScratch:

cooperino 09-06-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaP (Post 465608)
Hi from Tenino WA!

I took my Cub Cadet in for new belt and service; ended up having to have both belts and the spindles replaced (to the tune of almost $800). Picked it up, and the very first time I tried to use it, it died repeatedly when I engaged the PTO. I finally got it to run, but it surges and slows repeatedly when I engage the PTO, even after being warmed up. Called the shop immediately and was told this had nothing to do with their work, and to just use the choke while the PTO is engaged. HUH? They also assured me they "tested everything out" before I picked it up. No way they engaged that PTO! The mower has NEVER done this before. Just looking for advice for ammo to use when they try to charge me for fixing something they caused! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

WOW.... I would find whats binding it up.. Then I would bring it back and show them where they screwed it up.

Who diagnosed the spindles and other work? Did you ask them to change these or did they say it was needed?
Obviously they should have tested everything prior to giving it back to you. And whoever told you to use the choke when running PTO is either insane or incompetent.

olds45512 09-06-2018 12:08 PM

I'd be down there screaming in somebody's face. It's times like these I'm glad I can do all my own work, if I would have sent a tractor in to have a belt replaced and it turned into $800 and then they messed it up on top of it I'd be spitting fire.

john hall 09-06-2018 05:15 PM

Take it back to them have the manager come outside and listen to it. The price sounds crazy--go to Cadets website and put in the part numbers they installed to see how much the parts cost. If I had to guess, a belt is routed wrong, maybe over a guide. Rule of thumb for a good mower shop is to go use the mower before sending it home, even if its only for 30 seconds.

Alvy 09-06-2018 08:08 PM

Carla not meaning to state the obvious but sometimes we need to. Before returning make sure it’s not something coincidental like it’s simply out of gas now. Nothing worse than going back and causing a scene when something simple may have happened. May be something they did but make sure it’s not that.

I agree that the price sounds a bit high but if it was all three spindles etc the price is up there. Rule of thumb if you’ve never been to the shop is to ask to see the worn out Parts first. A reputable shop will be more than willing to show you what’s worn out and why before any work is done.

cooperino 09-07-2018 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvy (Post 465637)
Carla not meaning to state the obvious but sometimes we need to. Before returning make sure it’s not something coincidental like it’s simply out of gas now. Nothing worse than going back and causing a scene when something simple may have happened. May be something they did but make sure it’s not that.

I agree that the price sounds a bit high but if it was all three spindles etc the price is up there. Rule of thumb if you’ve never been to the shop is to ask to see the worn out Parts first. A reputable shop will be more than willing to show you what’s worn out and why before any work is done.

I agree with Alvy... Maybe you did check all the obvious things out before posting or maybe not? The price does seem over the top for what you mentioned. Did they do any other work? Most dealers while having your machine in their hands would want to do a PM service, sharpen blades, etc etc. Or was it 800 for 2 spindles and a belt and nothing else?

john hall 09-07-2018 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alvy (Post 465637)

The dealer my dad worked for put all the old parts in a box and sent it home with the customer, unless they requested to throw them away their. Only exception was fluid and oil filters.