Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Just one? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55038)

cheesedawg82 05-13-2019 11:33 AM

Just one?

Been thinking about the size of the tractor collection I've got going on here, and I'd like to talk a little bit about going down to one Cub.

Right now I've got a 149 hooked to a 1A tiller, also have snow plow and 38" deck, 12.50 turfs/chains, no weight, that I guess would be my tillage machine

I have a 106, middle buster, brinly cultivator, ags w/ gym weights and a rotted 38" pin on deck that I bought to mow potatoes, but will probably just let rot away to nothing. It's purpose in life is to work the garden rows post tillage

I would like to someday get myself a 12" bottom plow and a potato plow.

I'm learning that some of the planting, weeding, and dressing chores
I'd like to do with the 106 are probably better done by hand with a wheel hoe until I get enough land to justify the purchase of either a full grown Cub/ Farmall 140/ Allis G, etc to work a truck patch. I also don't have enough grass to justify ever putting a deck on either machine, I mow with a 28" Snapper. I'm not sure I'll ever find the time to fix the trunion on the 149 for smooth operation, and tbh I'd prefer the hydrostatic drive control to be on the right side if it can't be a pedal. it also really lacks the tight turning radius that I would prefer. I hear talk of how smooth some of the newer ones are to operate and finding myself liking the idea of something a bit more modern. I'm also noticing turning brakes and a smidge more ground clearance on a Super, but I'm not so sure that's gonna do me much good. Diff locker would be cool, so would twin stick hydraulics, but any of these things would simply be a bonus.

I don't want to make any harsh moves mid season, but future planning is nice, and maybe it's time to talk about sending the 149 and 106, along with the parts 127, 1315, and 1330 off to a new home and replacing them with something newer without breaking the bank. Just one nice, solid machine for a small garden (that may get much bigger) and a little bit of plowing in the winter. What would you look at?

Side note - I am not opposed to a Predator engine swap in a not so highly sought after/broken machine or whatever. I can do the work, I'm just thinking of the end game in the budget of time and money. I'd also like to have some room in my garage back.

cooperino 05-13-2019 11:50 AM

As Minion told me the other day after I purchased my first cyclops... Get a early 3100 series tractor and you will be happy. I myself love my old cubs and actually look for reasons just to run them. If I had to choose just one machine to do all my chores though, I would go with the 3000 series GT. Just my 2 cents based on what you said you needed to do.

CADplans 05-13-2019 12:14 PM

I accidentally ran across my "One Cub" tractor, but, it was a different color,,

I wanted gear drive, rear lift hitch, steering brakes,, low cost,,

and,, actually,, I ran it yesterday doing ALL the chores my wife wanted done for Mothers Day,,

The tractor is my JD 650,, it is everything a Super is,, but a little more,,
How many people have asked what was needed to have a gear drive Super??

I have an over-sized Super that is gear drive,,, :biggrin2:

AND, it does everything I want to do with a 14 horsepower two cylinder diesel engine.
Yes, at 1,500 RPM,, it sounds exactly like a miniature old JD 2 cylinder, :bigeyes:

ejl6658 05-13-2019 01:00 PM

I would agree with the 3000 series tractors opinion. If you want differential lock go with a 3200 series. If diff lock isn't needed the 3100 series are great machines as well. Vtwin Kohler engines in most and foot controlled hydro. Also have a cup holder for your favorite beverage.

cooperino 05-13-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADplans (Post 482194)
I accidentally ran across my "One Cub" tractor, but, it was a different color,,

I wanted gear drive, rear lift hitch, steering brakes,, low cost,,

and,, actually,, I ran it yesterday doing ALL the chores my wife wanted done for Mothers Day,,

The tractor is my JD 650,, it is everything a Super is,, but a little more,,
How many people have asked what was needed to have a gear drive Super??

I have an over-sized Super that is gear drive,,, :biggrin2:

AND, it does everything I want to do with a 14 horsepower two cylinder diesel engine.
Yes, at 1,500 RPM,, it sounds exactly like a miniature old JD 2 cylinder, :bigeyes:

:bigthink: I think you missed the cost factor involved with this equation! LOL:biggrin2:

CADplans 05-13-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 482200)
:bigthink: I think you missed the cost factor involved with this equation! LOL:biggrin2:

I have less than $1,500 in the 650,, about the price of a nice Super,,
the negative about the 650 is that it is a 1980's machine,, and certain parts might be tough to get,, :bigthink:

I do still have the 800 Cub Cadet,,
I saved that one simply as a nice machine to look at,, I wash it now and then,,, :biggrin2:

cooperino 05-13-2019 02:22 PM

You really found a 650 at a super price! "pun intended" lol.. Around here they start at 3500$ for just a decent condition tractor. I think that's due to not many of them around my neck of the woods

CADplans 05-13-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperino (Post 482204)
You really found a 650 at a super price! "pun intended" lol.. Around here they start at 3500$ for just a decent condition tractor. I think that's due to not many of them around my neck of the woods

To get that price, you have to let a tractor find you,, not you finding a tractor.

Mine was owned by the neighbor of a friend,,
the woman's husband had passed,, she wanted to sell ALL of his toys as a package deal,, tractor, accessories, and an entire woodworking shop,,
and she did not want to put it on Craigs List,,

I "helped" her get rid of it,, at the price she established,, :biggrin2: It took nine loads of a 10 foot dump trailer to haul his woodworking shop,,,
there was only about two wheelbarrows of wood,, ALL was tools and hardware.

My son-in-law has a REAL nice woodworking shop,, now!! :bigthink:

cooperino 05-13-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CADplans (Post 482205)
To get that price, you have to let a tractor find you,, not you finding a tractor.

Mine was owned by the neighbor of a friend,,
the woman's husband had passed,, she wanted to sell ALL of his toys as a package deal,, tractor, accessories, and an entire woodworking shop,,
and she did not want to put it on Craigs List,,

I "helped" her get rid of it,, at the price she established,, :biggrin2: It took nine loads of a 10 foot dump trailer to haul his woodworking shop,,,
there was only about two wheelbarrows of wood,, ALL was tools and hardware.

My son-in-law has a REAL nice woodworking shop,, now!! :bigthink:

:biggrin2: Yeah... I have had a couple deals like that over the years.. :bigthink: Gotta figure out how to get more of them

SS5150 05-14-2019 11:05 PM

For a ground engaging machine, you'll need a 3pt or a sleeve hitch correct? It's my understanding the 3pt for the 3000 series tractors is pretty hard to find. Tillers & throwers are also more scarce.

IDK, I think I'd build either a 782 or 1864 to meet the need.