Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Cub Cadet Engines (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Engine oil (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58142)

Jaystang97 01-08-2021 04:48 PM

Engine oil

Changing the oil in my 1810 today and it is super thin and smells like gas! Any ideas of how gas could get in besides it being put in there which I didn't. I inherited the tractor a couple months ago and im going through it doing maintenance.

Jaystang97 01-08-2021 05:09 PM

Muffler is dripping with gas as well!

mortten 01-08-2021 05:18 PM

Fuel pump leaking fuel into crankcase.

Jaystang97 01-08-2021 05:29 PM

Not to sound like fool im assuming the fuel pump would be under the T where the lines connect? And had just cleaned the carb any chance a stuck float would allow it to leak in?

RLause 01-08-2021 05:49 PM

If the float leaks, the gas runs into the cylinders past the rings and into the crankcase

ol'George 01-08-2021 05:58 PM

Don't run it till you address the problem AND change the oil!!!!!
If you messed with the carb. either you have crud under the needle valve or did something wrong.
Start at the carb first, many times removing/installing the fuel line induces crud under the needle valve.
Also it will smoke like hell after you repair it and start it as the fuel is burning out of the muffler.
Running it without changing the oil, will do damage to the engine:bash2:

Jaystang97 01-08-2021 06:51 PM

I already drained the oil out i left the drain plug out to let everything drip out over night. Yeah I had previously replaced the filter and lines then had an issue with it running so I took the carb off removed the float bowl and cleaned the crud out off the float and all around inside the jets and put the bowl back on. Ill take it back off and make sure nothing is stuck in the needle seat or the float.

bugeye 01-09-2021 09:21 AM

When I had gas in the oil, I also removed the spark plugs to hopefully allow the cylinder/head to dry. Cranking the engine with the plugs out produced gas on the rag at the plug openings.

ol'George 01-09-2021 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeye (Post 504342)
When I had gas in the oil, I also removed the spark plugs to hopefully allow the cylinder/head to dry. Cranking the engine with the plugs out produced gas on the rag at the plug openings.

Normal to do that.

If it was the fuel pump with a ruptured diaphragm , USUALLY it will fill the crankcase with oil. but not the cylinders, But if it gets full enough
it will fill them and then fuel gets pumped into the muffler.
Since you were in the carb it is likely to check that first.
Make sure you take the needle out of the carb and blow the hose connecting elbow out where it connects to the carb both ways, as little cling-ons like to hide there.
if you changed the hoses leading into the fuel pump, also check that they are clean and clear.
Always best to start a hose replacement with blowing out the new length of hose first, then be careful to clean cut a hose, then be careful to put it on the barb taking care to not skin the inner jacket which could birth a cling-on :biggrin2:

darkminion_17 01-09-2021 09:59 AM

Those pesky Clingons always end up on Uranus ya know...