Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Implements and Attachments (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Bent Center Casting on 42" Deck (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42918)

Nailhead 02-24-2016 08:46 PM

Bent Center Casting on 42" Deck

I think I just found why my 122 was sitting cast off in its previous owner's driveway: the center spindle housing is bent toward the side opposite the discharge, which I'm sure really screwed up the cutting performance of the deck as a whole.

The deck itself is straight: I sighted along it in several directions and noticed no bends, or misalignment, so that's not the problem.

After removing the casting, I noticed that the bearing housing is canted relative to the front edge of the casting.

Being cast iron, can this be straightened? How-- with a torch or something?

I wonder what bent that...

Anyway, thanks for any help.

Jeff in Pa 02-24-2016 08:53 PM

As a machinist who regularly works with castings, trying to bend it is a very bad idea. If shimming gets it level, do that.

Yosemite Sam 02-24-2016 09:13 PM

I think we need some pictures...

Nailhead 02-25-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam (Post 365301)
I think we need some pictures...

I'd love to post some, but this forum isn't on Tapatalk (so I can't post from my phone), and I can no longer figure out how to post pix from the photo hosting site I use(d) since they "improved" it.

I have no interest in computers and far less patience with them, so I have to rely on my descriptive powers in these instances and hope they get the point across.

Nailhead 02-25-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa (Post 365297)
As a machinist who regularly works with castings, trying to bend it is a very bad idea. If shimming gets it level, do that.

I was afraid of that.

Maybe I can drill a bolt hole on either side of the casting: one to snug the higher side down to the deck, and another opposite to hold some washers to act as shims. I'll need to adjust the length of the eyes on the front of the casting, too.

Thanks very much!

olds45512 02-25-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nailhead (Post 365335)
I'd love to post some, but this forum isn't on Tapatalk (so I can't post from my phone), and I can no longer figure out how to post pix from the photo hosting site I use(d) since they "improved" it.

I have no interest in computers and far less patience with them, so I have to rely on my descriptive powers in these instances and hope they get the point across.

You can post pics directly from your phone, I do it all the time. When your making a post just scroll down to "manage attachments" and it should be pretty self explanatory from there.

Nailhead 02-27-2016 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 365341)
You can post pics directly from your phone, I do it all the time. When your making a post just scroll down to "manage attachments" and it should be pretty self explanatory from there.

Thanks, I'll try that.