Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Gt2550 (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54476)

crncrk 02-10-2019 05:50 PM

Gt2550

Hello,
I have 2005 GT2550 with the metal hood and side panels, and Kohler C23 engine. It is hard to start. I have to crank it for 10 seconds at a time, 3 times before it fires, like the fuel has drained back to the tank. It has the mechanical fuel pump in the rocker cover on the left side of the engine. Does the fuel pump have a check valve to prevent fuel from draining back to the tank? Any idea what I can do to diagnose this?
Thank you.

Ozcubowner 02-10-2019 10:18 PM

On my GT2550 the lowest part of the fuel line is the filter so it cannot drain all back to tank
Is the fuel filter clean ?
Are the fuel lines in good condition ?
Once started how does it run ?
When starting and engine fires do you immediately start pushing in the choke ?
Are plugs in good condition and correct gap ?
Oz

R Bedell 02-11-2019 05:42 AM

Since you are in Iowa and it is cold there this time of year, did you try using the "Rec 90" grade of gasoline..?? It is 90 Octane, and ethanol free. I use it in the winter months for my plow tractor. I have noticed a difference in starting, in that it is much better.

Ozcubowner 02-15-2019 09:52 PM

Hey Roland , it looks like our combined 10657 posts were not impressive enough to get a Thank you (lol)
Oz

Gompers 02-15-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Bedell (Post 477680)
Since you are in Iowa and it is cold there this time of year, did you try using the "Rec 90" grade of gasoline..?? It is 90 Octane, and ethanol free. I use it in the winter months for my plow tractor. I have noticed a difference in starting, in that it is much better.

Is that different than standard pump 90 octane (ethanol free)?

That's what I run in all my stuff. My CH20 is a little cold blooded too. I haven't looked into it because it always starts, just takes a few seconds of cranking before it takes off if it's been sitting for a while.

crncrk 03-01-2019 12:45 PM

Thanks for the reply's. Sorry for my delayed response.
At the end of last mowing season, I replaced the fuel filter and line from end to end. Plugs too.
The fuel filter is the clear plastic style, and looks clean, but I will confirm this.
Once started, it runs as it should, and restarts fine as long as it doesn't sit too long. I don't use it in the winter, and do not use ethanol. It may be that when I replaced the filter and lines, I put the new filter up near the fuel pump rather than at the low point in the line as Oz pointed out. My other tractor, a 2185 with the 18hp Kohler, starts right up after sitting. I'll compare the two as far as where the fuel filter is mounted.
Thanks again.