Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT) (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Front wheel bearing experiment (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51078)

guido 01-12-2018 08:28 PM

Front wheel bearing experiment

4 Attachment(s)
The front wheel bearings seem to fail every season when I mount the snow thrower. To combat this I am experimenting with installing two sets of bearing per wheel. (If two are good... Four are better... Right?) Four of the bearings flanges were turned off in the lathe allowing them to be pressed below the hub face.
These wheels will also be getting a set of Terra Trac tires.
We shall see how well this works if I get enough snow to need the thrower.

john hall 01-12-2018 08:36 PM

What "grade" of bearings are you using? Yeah, I've seen them go out in exclusive grass cutters (that's all we have here). I'm just thinking a high end, max fill bearing would be the best choice.

Marko141 01-12-2018 08:42 PM

This is the first year I have had a cub with a blower, I hope I don't have those issues, let me know how it tunes out!

Jeff in Pa 01-12-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko141 (Post 444000)
This is the first year I have had a cub with a blower, I hope I don't have those issues, let me know how it tunes out!

I have two 125's. One is lawn and garden duty with the other being used for snow duty. My first one I got in 2003 and the other around 4 years ago. Both still have the same front wheel bearing in them.

J-Mech 01-12-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff in Pa (Post 444002)
I have two 125's. One is lawn and garden duty with the other being used for snow duty. My first one I got in 2003 and the other around 4 years ago. Both still have the same front wheel bearing in them.

Yep.....

Bought my 1811 in 2002 with 1200 hours. Now has like 2100. I've never changed them. Granddad but a model 71 brand new. I still have it. Wore out 3 motors in it. I don't recall, but I think I changed them once. If not, they're original. Bought several tractors over the years.... only ever put wheel bearings in a couple. I don't think they were well taken care of.

Yeah..... I think your bearing failure is something else. Cheap bearings maybe? Didn't pack them with grease before installing? Front end badly out of alignment? Washing them with a pressure washer? Maybe just mistaking them as out because they have the normal amount of play in them for that style of bearing? :bigthink::bigthink:

guido 01-12-2018 09:53 PM

Admittedly the bearings I purchased this time around are obviously not ideal. (PRBB122206-2RS Made in China) The inner seals were removed and packed in grease. The thrower will be dedicated to the 147.

I can't say what I have installed previously except that they have steel shields. I know this because I recently fixed a bead leak on one of the tires and one of the steel shields fell off. Bearing are still greasy.

Like Jon stated, I am probably guilty of not just one, but all the faults he listed except that the bearings had fallen apart.

I hope to get blasted with snow so I can play... I mean test this out.

sir_lancealot 01-13-2018 09:42 AM

Give us some feedback after you use those tires for a few hours. I'm looking at putting those on all 4 corners of my 127, since they also come in the 10.50 size. :beerchug: