Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 AM

After using the hydraulic lift extensively for snow removal something had worked it's way loose.

I found that the steering column tube had become loose and when I actuated the hydraulic lift it was moving the entire tube up and down through the dash tower.

The steering wheel was tight, and according to the diagrams in service manuals and parts diagrams online everything was intact. For some reason (maybe the tube worked it's way further into the housing first) my lift lever could move the steering tube 1" in either direction.

I took the opportunity to replace the column bushing with a bearing and then made a spacer to take up the slack between the wheel and the tube.

Now the tube is nice and solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180124_060955949.jpg (19.3 KB, 209 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 08:06 PM

I've been working on a couple things lately.

Tightened up the steering, added in a thrust bearing. Steering is pretty tight for a 40 year old tractor that had just the bare minimum maintenance done. Next will be replacing all the ball joints with greasable rod ends.

Rebuilt the hydraulic lift spool. It was leaking since I got it, and I noticed when I pulled the head on the engine a while back that it had a film of oily dirt on it. The engine's cooling air was being mixed with hydraulic fluid.

Took muffler box back out and gusseted it to prevent vibration. Welded in some 16ga steel strips to the ends with the least support and wrapped it around the edges as well to prevent the steel from fatiguing over time. This made a marked difference in noise reduction. Next time I have the box off I'll take some pics.

Plowed some heavy snow today and sheared the spirol pin on the lift arm/rockshaft. Replaced it temporarily with a bolt/nut combo just to get the drive finished. The pin must have been compromised for a while because I have a good extra 1" or so of lift on the blade now.

Didn't have time to document the progress, but I don't like posting without pics, so here ya go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180210_060716598.jpg (27.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 02-17-2018, 10:00 PM
Grand Member

Looking really good! I grew up on a 1450 in the 1980's.. you are correct.. quietlines with good engine mounts and all the sheetmetal tightened up are very nice tractors to run and operate.. Mom still uses the same tractor to mow her lawn 40 years later!

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 02-17-2018, 10:35 PM

The more I look at QL’s they really grow on me. Good candidate to sit beside the 1812? I’m thinking
Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 AM

They are a great looking tractor in my opinion. The best that IH ever produced. Their styling plus the few series upgrades that were added to the engine and driveline make them then pinnacle of the IH engineering (also just my opinion)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Updates:

I've been doing a lot of little projects here and there as I get time, but haven't had the chance to sit down and post.

I am in the process of repairing the seat with some foam and Plastic-Dip. It won't be pretty, but it will be functional, as is the case with most of the repairs I am doing with this tractor.

Replaced all the steering joints with the heavier duty ones from McMaster-Carr, which are also greasable. Replaced the hydro control joints as well.

Fabricated a front grille screen.

Pulled out the deck and started to weld in patch plates for the weak areas and get it ready for some POR-15 on the underside. Replaced worn spindle bearings. I noticed that this deck has the smaller main drive pulley!

Been using the dozer blade quite a bit lately. The driveway needs a lot of attention, so I started putting the 1250 to work. Hydraulic lift is handy for a lot of things!

I'm looking for a rear lift and sleeve hitch adapter. Daughter is doing gardening this year for 4H and it's time I get a moldboard plow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Joints.jpg (25.0 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Grille (1).jpg (20.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Grille (2).jpg (17.8 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Grille (3).jpg (21.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Grille (4).jpg (39.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Grille (5).jpg (35.4 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway Work (1).jpg (35.4 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Driveway Work (2).jpg (34.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Front Lift (1).jpg (44.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Front Lift (2).jpg (30.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg Front Lift (3).jpg (37.7 KB, 111 views)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Grand Member

QuietLines are my favorite series too. They are great tractors especially after updates and upgrades have been performed. It should give you years of rugged dependability.

I see the tractor is earning it's keep too!

One comment though...The headlights make the front look like the Abominable Snowman with cataracts from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon! I shouldn't drink so much.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCub View Post
QuietLines are my favorite series too. They are great tractors especially after updates and upgrades have been performed. It should give you years of rugged dependability.

I see the tractor is earning it's keep too!

One comment though...The headlights make the front look like the Abominable Snowman with cataracts from Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer cartoon! I shouldn't drink so much.
I agree! They're too big and I've always thought they look goofy, but they serve the function for now until I get an actual replacement
Old 03-03-2018, 07:08 PM
Grand Member

Where are you located in Ohio...your grass is greening up very nicely. I am in Canfield near Youngstown...spring is near. Yay!

I have an extra set of Quietline headlights available if you are interested!

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:13 PM

I spent my childhood in Girard! Went to Canfield fair every year until my parents separated. I miss the northeastern Ohio snows.....

I'm living in Athens, southeastern portion of the state. Mild winter for the most part. A couple snows and cold spells, but nothing too brutal. Lots of rain and warm weather last week. That's part of the reason behind getting the deck prepped. Once spring hits I won't have any time for my own machines.

I'll PM ya regarding the headlights!