Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob O 45colt View Post
When rebuilding chevy engines, that's what I learned from old Smokey! I followed Brian Miller's advice on this break in and used 30 wt dino oil for the first oil change than switched to synthetic. That, could have been the problem. He said to run it at almost wide open for an hour and I think that was too much heat on the rings. Looks like another rebuild is in the maken's. Damn.
Try dino oil. You won't be out much except the price of oil. Next step I would do is pull the head and see what the cylinder wall looks like.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Smile

Quote:
Mobil one synthetic
Synthetic oil is to slick for the rings to seat right in the bore, if they ever do seat. Good old dino oil is the best. Best to stay from Mr. Brian Miller.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
When rebuilding chevy engines, that's what I learned from old Smokey! I followed Brian Miller's advice on this break in and used 30 wt dino oil for the first oil change than switched to synthetic. That, could have been the problem. He said to run it at almost wide open for an hour and I think that was too much heat on the rings. Looks like another rebuild is in the maken's. Damn.
Best to stay away from synthetic oil in these old air-cooled, non-pressure lubed engines. I tried some Royal Purple in mine and it burned a lot. Switched back to regular SAE 30 Pennzoil and I didn’t have to add any all season. These engines aren’t what synthetic oil was designed for.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:19 PM
Grand Member

I'm working on a seminar that I'm doing on rebuilding a Kohler engine. The seminar is in Branson, Missouri this March. Possible problem areas come up as I work on this seminar.

Check the drain back hole in the block(breather area) to make sure it's not block. It is possible there is a ring either broke or installed wrong.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks, will check out the fuel filter and the carb. As I think about it you guys could be right.
Not to sure these gravity flow fuel systems flow enough with a filter if it is a paper element, a screen type filter should already be on the shut off valve in the tank ? Just a thought, but you may have other issues at this stage of the game .
Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Good luck with your troubleshooting, now my real question, I have read Miller's pulling site but Don't know anything him, seriously just asking.
Apparently more is going on but I enjoyed reading long winded explanations on the Kohlers.
Thanks for this site, I truly enjoy it..
Kevin
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM

Default 129 CC hydro rattling and knocking

I want to thank all who replied to my problem. This truly a good forum for us Cub Cadet owners. I also want to thank Only Cub Cadets Forum for being there and providing us a place to look for help and to share ideas. Thank you all who replied. My faith in mankind has been restored, but only when it comes to tractors and farm equipment. I am retired and used to be the best baler and swather mechanic in Billings,Mt! Just kidding! But I was good. Time takes it's toll on all of us and after awhile it's great to find help when you need it and to help others when you can. Thank you all!
Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 AM

I'm 10 years out from retirement and would like to overhaul my Kohler 241 by that time.
I'm interested as I like slower high torque motors, example ISX at work, 115 2 stroke Mercury.
I had a Farmall A that we honed the cylinders and placed fresh rings and again, it was just a toy and ran fine.
My Cub will serve as the same thing, only smaller.
I hope It's something simple for your Kohler, good luck.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poser View Post
I'm 10 years out from retirement and would like to overhaul my Kohler 241 by that time.
I'm interested as I like slower high torque motors, example ISX at work, 115 2 stroke Mercury.
I had a Farmall A that we honed the cylinders and placed fresh rings and again, it was just a toy and ran fine.
My Cub will serve as the same thing, only smaller.
I hope It's something simple for your Kohler, good luck.

Kevin
I had a 115 2 stroke merc. !967 6 cyl with 3 carbs. One of the first with electronic ignition. Was a real runner with a great sound. Mike
Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb72 View Post
I had a 115 2 stroke merc. !967 6 cyl with 3 carbs. One of the first with electronic ignition. Was a real runner with a great sound. Mike
Cool! My 115 is a 4 cylinder, 4 carbs, it is strong, when running, powers a heavy center console deep V.
Meanwhile, back to topic.
Keep us updated.

Kevin