Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Try(Machine shops near "your town" ) on Google

This is an example for my area.
https://www.google.com/#q=machine+shop+in+galax+va

I use Star Machine for my stuff.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 08-31-2015, 03:11 PM

Thanks Sam, I've found a few now. The key to the search was to seach "Engineering machine shops in 'My Area' ". Not sure if I'll need them or not, since I'm still waiting on the local CC distributor getting back to me with regard to sourcing the OEM shaft.

Whilst I wait, and have the deck off, I've taken the opportuninty to do a few other jobs, like bracing the front wheel with some 1/4" steel plate, and want to take a look at my squeeking transmission.

Is this common, and where should I look? It squeaks at rest, with just the engine running, before I move off, so in my opinion it must be things that move when sitting still, which might help narrow it down a bit. It doesn't go away when I increase the throttle to mowing speed, but it does become a higher frequency and goes quieter.

I find it harder to hear at the higher frequency, but I don't think it will have actually gone quieter, just quieter to me.

Doesn't change when I engage the PTO, so its not that slipping past whilst disengaged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sutty
Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I'm not familiar with your tractor but it looks like it has a belt drive to the transmission similar to the 1000 series on this side of the pond so you may want to look at the belt and any idler pulleys.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 08-31-2015, 08:27 PM

Thanks Sam, yes it does have a belt drive. Would that be in motion whilst stationary? Ill check it out tomorrow, I was just thowing the question out there whilst watching a little TV in the evening, in case there was a well known squeek, that matches what I described.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 AM
Administrator

As far as I know your tractor is a hydro so the belt from the engine to the transmission would be in motion when the engine is running. I'd guess it also has an idler pulley or 2 to keep the belt tensioned so it's possible the bearing in the pulley are on the way out causing the noise you describe. Since you have the deck off now is the time to take a look.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 09-01-2015, 10:51 AM

Hi Sam, Yes, that was the plan whilst the deck was off. Tracked it down, whilst the engine was running by poking at the pulleys with a stick. The middle, guide only, v-pulley stopped whistling as soon as I touched it.

Turns out, as I'm sure you know, or at least it would appear, that the bearings are captive, sealed in when the halves of the pulley are spot welded together. Shame because the bearing could be had for a £3 to £4.

Anyway, the supplier got back to me with a price for the shaft only, so I asked about the pulley. Both were way too expensive, in my opinion, so I decided to continue looking elsewhere.

I decided to ring one guy up, from one of the better sites I found, and he was super helpful, walked me through finding the parts on his site, which wasn't hard whilst he was holding my hand, and we bottomed out not only the shaft but the pulley wheel too.

£44 for the shaft, and £26 for the pulley. Still expensive I thought, but half the price of the previous guy, and since he was so helpful I just ordered it there and then over the phone.

Happy as a clam.

By the way, since removing the pulley wheel, the bearing felt awful, sticking and notchy, sometimes it would stick completely, by hand, but I have removed the rubber shield from the bearing, and somehow inside it was full of rubbish. I've washed it all out, re-greased it, and it's fine now. No sideways play, or end play, and no more notchiness.

As I just explained, I've ordered a new one now, so I'll keep this old one as an emergency spare.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I'll let you know when I'm fully back up and running in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

Sutty
Old 09-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Pulleys are easy to rebuild. Drill out the spot welds, replace the bearing and bolt it back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3151.jpg (23.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3152.jpg (21.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3153.jpg (21.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3154.jpg (25.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3155.jpg (20.6 KB, 34 views)
BX2670 with FEL
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 PM

I wondered if I could do that Sam, and decided against it. Didn't think I had the necessary skill, or tools, and wondered if balance might be an issue. I suppose many of them aren't going that fast, and the spot welds seem fairly symetrically placed, so I guess it's fine. Had to put the old one back in to get it back in the shed, and it was squeak free anyway. Might leave it in now and keep the new one as a spare, until it goes for good.

Good to know that method should be fine for the future though. You never know which one might go next.

Thanks.

Sutty
Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Grand Member

I've saved many a bearing by injecting grease under the lip of the seal with a small syringe/needle.
As a side note, I have to laugh, looks like you've found a home here
In your original post you mentioned might be your "only thread"
----Just like trying to only eat one potato chip, ain't gonna happen.
---glad you stopped by.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:15 AM

Ha ha, you might be right ol'George. Thanks all for making me feel so welcome.