Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kubota Engines

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 11:01 PM

Default My 72 engine

Here is the Kubota Z-482ES that I acquired for free....I have the radiator and another from a goldwing with electric fan (not sure which one I'm gonna use)....Just some questions, before I open the manual; can I just switch oil filter to other side with no problems?? Also before I machine a drive hub for the crank pulley does anyone have an extra with any bolt provisions?? I'm going to make a plate with a stub shaft for the pto that bolts to the flywheel...Only problem thus far is fitting battery and fuel tank under original sheet metal...It fits nicely between frame rails so no Goobery looking mounting going to go on..Center line of crank looks good although I'm not sure to mess with axle position or make custom oil pan....All in time...I have the super steer axle ready to go, just wish I could find some tractor looking wheels to mount 7x14s" ags on for the rear without trying to make some...Should fit GT deck then also....I'm sure I'll need some input from the pros....

Oh and can I just use that plug in the thermostat housing for my temp sender??
Plus I think it has a 60amp alternator, but I could be reading it wrong, it was used to power all the accessories on a semi??? And is the Mitsubishi started the one botas all come with???
Thank you
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0356.jpg (32.8 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0358.jpg (26.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0360.jpg (26.9 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0362.jpg (30.5 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0359.jpg (28.2 KB, 263 views)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Grand Member

taken out of an APU? allot of those engines were made for various types of power units, reefers ect so they made them kind of universal . I'd have to dig up a manual and follow the oil flow to figure if the filter could be moved. most bigger diesel engines the oil comes up the pickup tube through the pump then directed through an oil cooler and then the filter before its directed throughout the engine.
it probably does have a 60 amp alternator. they charge the trucks batteries or the APU batteries in most systems . that is usually 4 900cca batteries
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Grand Member

if you put it above the T stat you wouldn't know the T stat was stuck till it was to hot. try to put it under the T stat
Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 PM

yes apu take out, sorry..it wasnt a reefer unit though...just hung on a frame rail

great point about the t-stat, duh...... yeah this doesnt have hardly any hours on it either...a buddy of mine is the big dog at a large grain mill....he bought 2 of these truck chassis, and i guess if they have to go to california they have to have units like these....guess the only time they ran was when they were in california, which was hardly if ever....was mostly dirty but didnt look like it spun much....i have to dig through the manual too, and ive seen pics of them with the filter in that spot i took the picture of,(with the block off looking thing) but just not sure if i have to do something special to switch it.....

thank you Don.....very much

hey, if this was your build, and mind you its pretty much JUST for mowing, would you do a foot controlled hydro,(rear out of 1641 with hydro lift)(its the only one i have) i do have 3 extra gear drive units if someone wants to trade for a cast iron hydro with ported pump??) or would you leave it the gear drive???

also, on a seperate note i have a bunch of stuff to get rid of at some point, ill give you a shout sometime...

thanks again...i really appreciate it
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 PM

No one knows anything about these little 2cyl units??? Kubota is no help...Something about engine division and tractor/equipment being separate....I can't find a service manual to save my life...Can for the newer units, the mini's or whatever, but not this style....I'm just gonna have at her....I've seen pics of the oil filter on other side so has to be...Also has like 3 different provisions for an oil fill...Kinda neat...Anyways, just finished a woods ported stihl 066 for the neighbor so it's little diesel time....
Old 02-01-2017, 08:18 PM
Grand Member

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...E-3564814.html
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM

lew, thank you very much!!!....although, i have found that file before, and although its VERY similar its still a little different... plus im having a hard time trying to get it to print at work

im just gonna get at it drain oil pull filters and covers and see what i find... theres just so little info out there on the es version that came in that apu...it has a huge wire harness which will be lost and i will keep aproppriate senders and sensors for gauges and so forth, but at least a parts list...thing thats crazy is if i went to my local kubota dealer; if i dont have the model tractor that it came in they cant help me or get me parts for it.......??? weird...anyways

thank you
mike
Old 04-16-2017, 11:40 PM

OK, so I had a very nice gentleman who I think said worked for carrier and that I couldn't switch locations.....I would have to buy a new front cover, or drill a big ass hole in the frame to change it, which I don't want to do....Then I had another fella who worked on bota engines say he's sure it could be switched and that they did that for one side access....I know one has a little check valve, (sleeve with ball and spring in it, but please, can someone confirm if the oil filter can be switched from right side to left standing behind the flywheel??? I've seen no manual that covers this and have spent hours online...Don't have the apu maker....Do I need to remove check spring?? Or is it a drain back Valve?? Someone has to know...I've googled pics of the inside of the different front covers, z482s and I think it's the same as a d772, ( I think, minus a cylinder) with a filter on either side and it's hard to tell any difference....This as stupid as it is is holding up my diesel 72 project....Any help is greatly appreciated.....I just need confirmation....Do I need a different cover, (I'm hoping not) or will it flip flop....

Thank you
Mike
Old 04-17-2017, 02:17 AM
Banned

What does it look like under the cover on the left side?

Take the cap on the left side off, disable the engine so it won't start, and crank it. If oil pumps out, then you know it has flow through it. Switch the components, install a gauge and see if it makes oil pressure using the starter. Can't be that difficult to figure out....

Post some pics. If nothing else, take the front cover off and see how it's plumbed. I would think it would interchange. Otherwise, what's the purpose of the cap on the left side..... I've worked on all sorts of Kubota engines in different applications.... but never tried to switch applications between motors. Not ones that wouldn't just bolt in anyway.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:24 AM

well i dont at all want to sound lazy, and i figured that would be my last recourse if i got no answers, but to be frank, ive just been so goddamn busy, and the engine is clean and i just really dont want to tear it apart any farther than i have too, i have the cover off and the filter, they look different but if i took off the nipple that holds the filter it spins into the other side and the cap fits into the other one just fine and all the oil drained right now and its sitting as is, i havent tried putting any oil back in and spinning it...the different covers from the inside look the same to me, and my thinking was the same as yours: what the hell would that little cap be there for if it wasnt another filter provision??? only difference is that little check valve...... the other ones dont have them, thats the normal filter location...so i dont know...i was hoping to just rewire this sucker and go, being as theres enough fab work to do on the damn tractor...

but thank you for the response Jon
mike