Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Default Woods Mower Spindles

I noticed that the Woods mower under the old Farmall was getting pretty loud last Summer and then in the fall that there was a pool of oil under one of the spindles and made note not to use it again until I had looked into the cause and source of the leak. Finally got ‘round to it a couple weeks ago.

The tractor and mower were refurbished (for use not parades!) in 1996; I remember replacing the center spindle at the time and that it cost in the neighborhood of $60. I replaced another, the right one I think, a couple years later. The one making noise is the left one, but it was the right one leaking - go figure. So the left one is getting my attention. I’ll replace the lower seal in the right one.

The manual says; “Time and money will be saved by simply replacing a spindle assembly . . . .” It does go on to indicate that if the user is so stubborn to attempt to set the preload, he can drive out the roll pin, add spacers under the sleeve to set the load and reinstall the pin.

A quick Google search turned up a lot of hits, Messik’s has ‘em for the least amount of dollars at $160. So my reasoning is that for that kind of money time may be lost but money may be saved by disassembling and rebuilding. If I break it I’m not out anything right? It’s already broked!

More Googling resulted in pretty much everyone parroting the manual. There was one thread on TractorTalk in which they were discussing the seals and sources for them and it was apparent that they were successful in getting them apart but didn’t say much about the process.

So, for someone who might come after me with the same dilemma, this is what I found. For the record, this is a Woods 59A finish mower mounted under a 1946 Farmall A. It runs backwards from most mower decks.

The sleeve on the top of the shaft does indeed set the preload and is pressed onto the shaft - mine was stuck at least and wouldn’t budge. There is no spacer in between the inner bearings. Also, and this is why they are such a bear to get apart, the bearings are pressed on to the shaft; the lower one is pressed on from the top. The shaft diameter is slightly smaller at the top of the shaft and in the area between the bearings.

I tried a number of methods to get the thing apart but at some point simply resorted to setting the casting on the largest bearing separator I have and standing that on top of the vice and then smacking the top of the very hard shaft with a Big Friendly Hammer. Once it started moving I could just get the wheel puller over the bearing separator and used an electric impact on low to pull it apart. Total time on Saturday was about an hour once I decided to go for broke. Note that it has been soaking on and off with PB for two weeks and that I’ve tried the heat and beat routine on the sleeve (thinking that’s what was holding it together.) Also, most castings have a slot (or something) milled inside so you can get a purchase on the races to pound them out. None found here, so it’s a chore to get the races out without beating up your fingers.

The upper seal was bad (that’s the one I mangled getting out; it was removed at the beginning so I could see in there). I expected to find it full of water but it wasn’t; the casting was completely full of grease and so were the bearings so it wasn’t lacking for lubrication but the bearings and races are all rough as cobs and the sleeve is pitted badly enough that I don’t think I can polish it well enough to prevent it chewing up a new seal. Anyway parts are on order - the sleeve and seals ordered for in store pickup at the local Kubota dealership and the bearings (Timken Set#3) from Amazon. Total cost is about $50. Here’s some pics.

Oh, almost forgot, that's Rustoleum Almond and it's about 20-years old; looking pretty rough so my plan right now is to clean this and the other spindle up and apply some paint with a plan to drop the deck off and do likewise in the near future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0998.jpg (30.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg (29.7 KB, 38 views)
and various other bucketraters, grassenators and dirtavators.