Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by green 4 acres View Post
I was targeted and shot at , at a golf course
A guy was hit in the chest , lots of blood.
I tried to contact this man to tell him ,but because of HIPA ,l was denied contact or apparently even any investigation
What are you talking about???
Someone shot at you? An auto mechanic....? You seem about as boring a guy as there ever was....
Besides, what does it have to do with IT?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
The office she works at went from XP to WIN7 just within the last 18 months. She found it odd that their PC's only being 18 months old, were now not good enough.

I am no expert in the HIPA arena, but it sounded like a Sales Pitch to sell some new equipment. That is why I posted here. Seems there are some well experienced IT guys here.
Actually, the easiest way to upgrade would be to go to microsoft's website and upgrade to windows 10 from there. So it depends on how your daughter's office IT wanted to do it. Using windows 7 installation discs or downloading windows 10 installation media from the microsoft website would be "clean" installs of windows 10. These would require a backup of all info on the pc prior to installation, then reinstalling all the backed up info.
Upgrading directly from microsofts website should save all info already on the pc, it would just change the OS to 10. Easier, but occasionally errors can occur. Could depend on any specific medical software used on the pc's.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:38 PM

It is obsolete is all you have to say ,things move quick in IT .
Probably a realtime conflict too .

Take your meds jmech !
Old 03-01-2018, 04:39 PM

As stated previously I have been in the healthcare industry for 37 years. The requirement for the computers in the OP posts is that they can protect the patient sensitive information on them. Old versions of software required you to log into the computer but did not time out locking the computer if sitting idle and unattended and allowed an unauthorized user to walk by and view all information on that computer. Ask your daughter if her computer requires her to constantly relogin if she doesn't use for greater than say 5 minutes. If it doesn't then that it is the issue that requires the upgrade.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:14 PM

It also runs a little deeper than just the OS - a new OS will come with and supports new versions of software, especially web browsers which in turn support newer (more secure/unbroken crypto) security methods. It's a lot easier to crack the older versions of software, web browsers doubly so because it's open to a whole variety of outside attack vectors.

One of the more recent problems for me at work has been to disable SSLv3 and TLS1.0 for the websites that we offer, this causes Grandma's old computer to no longer be able to access those sites because her old web browser doesn't do TLS1.2.

If Grandma's grandson would update her computer occasionally she'd have a newer browser that can support the new protocols and she wouldn't be complaining to customer support who complains to me (often via my boss).

So back to the OP - I don't think it's anything new that MS wants everyone to upgrade. Yeah, there's money involved one way or another, so it isn't completely innocent, but keeping ne'er-do-wells out is vital so it isn't exactly a money grubbing scam either. I've heard the argument, "well this is an office machine and the web browser is never used." Don't you believe it! An awful lot of software is now web-browser based. For me, on my work computer, I will have half a dozen web tabs open to Office365, the load balancer, the firewall, the WPEngine console (I HATE word press), VMware vCenter, and more.

Bolting on security is not as effective as baking it in and even MS has become more security conscience in recent years so I'd say it's prudent to stay as current as possible.

That's my two cents. (Darn well all it's worth too!)
and various other bucketraters, grassenators and dirtavators.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Thanks for all the responses. Will pass this on and let them (Dr's office) decide the course they want to pursue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thank You Card.jpg (9.3 KB, 41 views)

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 03-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Under the HIPAA Security Rule, 45 C.F.R. § 164.308 (a)(5)(ii)(B), organizations must implement procedures for detecting, guarding against, and reporting malicious software. If you’re using software that is no longer supported by Microsoft, you are not HIPAA compliant.

Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won’t end until January 14, 2020.

Once an operating system enters extended support, it's still very safe to use. It means that Microsoft will continue to patch any security threats but won't add any new features (as it would do during the 'mainstream support' phase).