Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 AM

Default LT decks

I have a "newbie" question, although I have had a Cub for about 10 years.
The LT series had a few different deck sizes. Is the deck the ONLY difference between the machines? I ask because I want to go up a tire size, both front and rear to give a little bit more clearance and go to a more aggressive tread.
I have room in the front since there is no fender and plenty or room in the rear.
But I can see that if I increase the size it will hit the deck. I have the LT1050.
I really don't want to buy a new machine quite yet, but after 10 years I think that it could be a little more useful if I could raise the ground clearance.
As it is, the 50" deck is tucked quite nicely under the unit. I'm not opposed to pulling a self-powered mower behind if I have to, but I am thinking that a different deck configuration would be easier and cheaper to accomplish....
Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 AM
Banned

How does gaining ground clearance make the machine more useful? It's not heavy enough for ground engaging equipment...... so?

What do you mean when you ask:
Quote:
Is the deck the ONLY difference between the machines?
Between GT's and LT's?
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moark Willy View Post
I have a "newbie" question, although I have had a Cub for about 10 years.
The LT series had a few different deck sizes. Is the deck the ONLY difference between the machines? I ask because I want to go up a tire size, both front and rear to give a little bit more clearance and go to a more aggressive tread.
I have room in the front since there is no fender and plenty or room in the rear.
But I can see that if I increase the size it will hit the deck. I have the LT1050.
I really don't want to buy a new machine quite yet, but after 10 years I think that it could be a little more useful if I could raise the ground clearance.
As it is, the 50" deck is tucked quite nicely under the unit. I'm not opposed to pulling a self-powered mower behind if I have to, but I am thinking that a different deck configuration would be easier and cheaper to accomplish....
Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
How does gaining ground clearance make the machine more useful? It's not heavy enough for ground engaging equipment...... so?

What do you mean when you ask:

Between GT's and LT's?
I think he meant is the deck size the only difference between the machines...I think

OP, can I ask just how much bigger rear tires you are planning on going that would prohibit the deck from being installed? But more importantly than that...why? Are you having traction issues? Doing a lot of offroading? Just trying to get some info on this

Old 01-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Grand Member

Are you mowing rough terrain and trying to gain clearance to mow over it?

April 1979 1200 Quietline 44A deck 1988 1211 customized into a 1288 with a K301AQS 38C deck and a 1864 54” deck . Snow blades 42" and 54" . Brinly disk, brinly plow a cultivator and a $5 brinly yard rake!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus1991 View Post
Are you mowing rough terrain and trying to gain clearance to mow over it?
That is correct. The deck height is limited by the lift mechanism and the frame.
When sitting on a flat surface, the highest setting is less than 3" because of that. With larger wheels the entire adjustment could be used giving more clearance in rough areas and still be able to lower the deck for smooth cuts.

To answer some of the other responders:
Off-roading....NO
Ground-engaging equipment...NO

And I am talking about LT machines. I'm curious why when I asked about deck size being the only difference you didn't get that. It wasn't a trick question.

Thanks for all of your answers. I'll ask the dealer.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Grand Member

[QUOTE=Moark Willy;303695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus1991 View Post
Are you mowing rough terrain and trying to gain clearance to mow over it?[/QUOTe
That is correct. The deck height is limited by the lift mechanism and the frame.
When sitting on a flat surface, the highest setting is less than 3" because of that. With larger wheels the entire adjustment could be used giving more clearance in rough areas and still be able to lower the deck for smooth cuts.

To answer some of the other responders:
Off-roading....NO
Ground-engaging equipment...NO

And I am talking about LT machines. I'm curious why when I asked about deck size being the only difference you didn't get that. It wasn't a trick question.

Couple things; First, AFAIK (as far as I know), deck size and possibly what engine is in it are about the only notable differences to the end user.

Second, I think we were all just curious why you're wanting to put bigger tires (so big they won't fit with the deck on) on your machine if all you're doing is mowing. Looks perhaps?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Grand Member

The engines were different too. Looks like deck size went up with HP. LTs are toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-trac...-tractors.html

1993 Cub Cadet 2064
1988 Cub Cadet 2072
1980 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20
1966 IH Cub Cadet 102 w/K301
1961 IH Cub Cadet O
1967 IH Cub Cadet 102 & 122

JD 2155 w/ 175 loader
Old 01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah..... it's a LT. What do you expect?
Larger tires create more problems.... first you will have to find rims that fit, unless your just talking about taller tires. Then you have to be sure they will fit in the fenders. You already said they will hit the deck. Your going to lose torque and it will be harder to control at slow speeds...... Wasting your time IMHO.

Quote:
Yeah, didn't think it was a trick question. No, there are more than one difference between LT models. Deck size is proportionate to the engine. Usually bigger numbers means larger engines. Your going to have to give model numbers if you want a more specific answer.

Quote:
Yeah.... as if they will know, or recommend it. They're just going to try and upsell you on a bigger tractor.

If you want bigger and better...... sell that one and buy an older machine. A nice 1861/2/3/4 will be 1000X better. I'm sure you could get enough out of that one to get an 18XX.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Grand Member

I would do what others have said get rid of the lt and get an older gt . I have a 1211 with a 38c deck hyd lift . I haven't ever measured for sure , but it has a lot higher lift than my 1200. I'd say it probably has 6" of clearance all the way up. If not dang close. Another thing is that a lt isn't gonna take much abuse on rough terrain. Frames, alxes. Transmission,spindles aren't near as heavy built as on older gt machines.

April 1979 1200 Quietline 44A deck 1988 1211 customized into a 1288 with a K301AQS 38C deck and a 1864 54” deck . Snow blades 42" and 54" . Brinly disk, brinly plow a cultivator and a $5 brinly yard rake!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 PM

I'll just ignore the comments I don't agree with....as many of you do.
But I am sure ther is someone out there with a LT that has a smaller deck than the 50". So here are my assumptions.
The blades are smaller on those decks so the deck is smaller.
Obviously the width is less...hence the smaller deck.
Is the depth or the deck narrower as well...front to back?
Now here are the IF's...
If the deck is narrower then perhaps it would allow for larger diameter wheel. This of course would be affected if the mounting for this deck differs from the larger one, but it appears that the mount is the same for all of the LT series. Again, this is a determination that I made from diagrams in the manual.
At the rear, wheel clearance to the deck is tight with the original deck. That is the real issue. A narrower deck would eliminate these problems.

Again, thanks to you who have been helpful. You know who you are.
I am not trying to be argumentative, but when I ask the time I don't need to know how to build a clock.