Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Default A sad reminder to us all.

This story gives me the heebee jeebees. I have a 4 year old grandson who LOVES Poppa's tractor.

ASCAR Crewman Gives Winnings To Injured Boy
This is a rather unique post: it’s a bit of a tear-jerker, but at the same time, it’s gross. It’s really gross. Like, if you’re about to eat or have eaten recently, just go here for a while. We’ll understand. If you’re ready to press on, then… buckle up.

(Here’s the good news.)

Jeff Kerr, the jack man (hush) for Martin Truex Jr.’s car in NASCAR, recently won $10,000 by posting the best individual jack time (I said HUSH) at the pit crew competition for the Sprint Cup Series. Every penny of that $10,000 went not to Kerr, but rather the family of four-year-old Preston Loyd. When you hear why, you might be tempted to pony up a bit as well.

Preston was badly injured in late April in a freak accident involving his grandfather and - brace yourself - a riding lawnmower. Oh, it gets worse. Preston had just run out the back door of the house to talk to his grandfather; his grandfather never even saw him as he backed the lawnmower over the young boy. The scene was horrific:

He lost all ribs on his left side, along with his stomach, spleen and left kidney. His liver was lacerated. His arm was cut badly. Preston was airlifted to Charlotte Medical Center, and upon arrival the trauma surgeon gave the boy less than a 50 percent chance of survival.

Along with that kind of damage, of course, comes an unbelievable amount of blood loss; this is the more immediate danger to a person’s life in the case of such severe trauma.To that end, this horrific quote from Kevin Clark, a volunteer fireman who was the first at the scene:

”I went in and the grandfather was white, white. Preston was white, white, too,” Clark said. “It was a terrible injury. In all my years of experience, a young child doesn’t have that much blood. My opinion is he didn’t have anything left in him.”

Okay, enough with the horror stories. Somehow, through a 32-day coma, the young boy survived the ordeal; now comes the long, arduous, expensive task of healing. Fortunately, that’s where Kerr stepped in. Kerr and his family attend the same church as the Loyds, so word spread quickly. Lo and behold, Kerr vowed to win the pit crew skills competition and donate the money. Lo and behold, that’s exactly what he did.

Such generosity, along with (obviously) smaller gifts from fellow NASCAR members and charitable strangers, is helping the family along as Preston recovers. As for that recovery, “normal” is on a wholly different scale at this point; he’s still got a mountain of rehab and plastic surgery in front of him, after all. But at the same time, he’s making progress with cognitive recovery, and anyone with a relatively well-functioning brain and two good legs has a shot at a good, productive life.

Some Days all You Can Do Is Hang On!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Every once in a while we do hear bad stories like that. As i stated in my first post, my brand new I 1046 had some issues with it as soon as i unloaded it. The one biggest thing was that none of the safety switches worked. I was able to drive forward go right into reverse with out it shutting down. In case some did'nt know, all the new Cubs have a safety feature where you need to trun the ignition key to the middle position then hit a momentary button in order to back up with the blades engaged. Obviously the reasoning behind it is to remind you to look behind you before you back up. I was adament about getting that hooked up correctly so i took it to the local dealer where it was only a harness that was unplugged. Be safe!
Old 06-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Very tragic story, with A bittersweet ending as well.

I think though that through the years this may be an isolated incident although as difficult it would be if it happened to you or me. these machines of the past never had such safety features.

In reality they are only as safe as the operator, and as the same as with a gun ,we should be responsible of our surroundings at all times.---No I don't consider myself perfect, I don't always look back when traveling a short distance, I admit it could happen.

We all just need to take time and thank God he wasn't killed and pray for a good recovery that he may have the strength to go through any future surgery's. as a young lad he may need lots of them.

Roger I would like to tell you,{though none of my business} In Pa if the neighbor wants to turn you in, for riding a child on a tractor while mowing, you are subject to be charged with child endangerment . and the child is taken into custody by children and youth services.

Any child if he can't reach the peddles and controls cannot run one till he can safely , on his own.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:06 PM

Jim, my grandson is NEVER with me on the tractor when I am doing any kind of work with it. Just joy rides now and again. That poor lad wasn't riding on the tractor either.

I have told all my family repeatedly. When I am running equipement, do not come up behind me. Always from the front so I can see you. A four year old wouldn't undertsand that directive, so I've told them keep children away---don't let em out of sight.

Those laws you mention are good. They shouldn't be necessary---common sense should always be used.

Some Days all You Can Do Is Hang On!!!