Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Tractor pullers using Cub Cadets!

Notices

Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM

Default I'm wanting to get started

OK here is the deal. there are some antique power clubs around here that pull tractors but not many that do garden tractors. I talked to one of owners and they are going to start doing the small tractors soon! I always wanted to build one. I have a decent cub 122 with a good k301. the carb needs cleaned and the gas tank need sealed as its rusty and Ive tried several times to clean it with acid etc. Thats all minor stuff I can take care of. anyways the engine was a NOS replacement and has a walbro carb on it and besides needing fine tuned, should be a good engine to get started with in a stock class. I have a set of 23in true powers I can donate to the project. I really have no idea where to get started with this build. I havent even gotten a list of the rules yet. I dont want to heavily modify this tractor as its a pretty nice. But honestly it just sits around and Id rather cut it up and use it then let it collect rust. I am thinking about picking this rough 108 up thats in a local scrap yard. I can get it for 75 bux. its pretty rough and the 8hp is stuck. should make a good puller tho. But for now I want to have fun with my 122 NOW. Where can I buy or get info on building wheelie bars and do I need a adjustable hitch for the rear?? lm so green it hurts.... my little girl loves these things and she enjoys going to the big tractor pulls! so I figure its something we could get started in. She already has her own sears custom garden tractor haha. also the weight class i would pull in does that include driver weight too? im a big guy, 300lbs plus depending on time of year haha. here is a pic of my 122 and the 108 thats in the scrap yard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151128_170934.jpg (25.8 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 20151130_121026.jpg (31.2 KB, 198 views)
Old 10-16-2016, 08:50 PM
Grand Member

Here is my PERSONAL opinion, I hate destroying good running machines to make any sort of a custom build. I am of the opinion that's what junkers are for. Some guys like buying good solid machines and selling off the components to subsidize their build, that's just not my way of thinking. My vote it is to leave your nice looking running Cadet complete, assuming it is a solid machine. Now if the engine smokes and knocks, driveshaft and clutch are shot, tires need air every time you use it, and the deck needs belts, blades and spindle bearings, then turn it into a puller. Otherwise I would go get the one at the junkyard. Depending on how competitive your area is, you won't have anything in the engine or driveline left stock. Good possibility all 4 rims and the innards of the rear end will need changing to, just depends how competitive you want to be. Have you looked on Craigslist, there is always a few for sale around here.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 10-17-2016, 09:37 AM

yeah I have checked craigslist. they bring 500 plus for a POS around here. 1k plus for one like my 122. They are few and far between. I only paid $125 for my 122 and I more or less saved it from getting junked so I don't feel bad about using it. it sat for 15 years under a tarp when I got it last year. The deck has a locked up pulley but besides that it is a decent tractor. I don't want to ruin it tho. BUT its not like im going to ever be mowing lawns with it. Let me go over this with yall and see what you think. set of 23in super lugs on the rear and tri ribs up front, straight exhaust, red clutch spring, maybe whole new clutch setup as mine is a little worn, wheeliebar and adjustable hitch, and some sort of setup to hold weight in front and rear. Im just wanting to run this in a stock class. Im not sure what all that will allow me to do as Im waiting on the rules. I may get laughed off the track with that setup... Do you honestly think I will be wasting my time as the tractor will truly be stock with a better then factory clutch. I don't know. pulling garden tractors is not popular around here so I have nobody to talk to about it. The 108 I will buy and will do a full build on but id like to atleast try it with the 122 first. I may not even like it. I should be able to use the tires on both tractors. the 108 is real rough and will require a full build. id like to find a 10 or 12hp to build for it as well. the original 8hp is junk anyways.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 AM
Banned

If GT pulling is not popular in your area, then doesn't sound like the competition will be very stiff. I'd worry more about getting all you can out of the motor.... but you will need the other stuff you mentioned.

You keep saying that 108 has an 8hp. From the pics, I see a 10HP air cleaner. Plus the 108 came out with a 10HP, so not sure what your dealing with.

Get the rules before you start a build. Less headache that way.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM

Default cub

Hello, as what most of the old guys always told me it's cheaper to buy one than to build one. And that's usually true. Price things out and have fun. Mike
Old 10-17-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
If GT pulling is not popular in your area, then doesn't sound like the competition will be very stiff. I'd worry more about getting all you can out of the motor.... but you will need the other stuff you mentioned.

You keep saying that 108 has an 8hp. From the pics, I see a 10HP air cleaner. Plus the 108 came out with a 10HP, so not sure what your dealing with.

Get the rules before you start a build. Less headache that way.
you 100% correct... its a 10hp. I was getting it and the john deere 110 I got from him confused on engine size. I got them package deal for $175 for the cub 108 and the deere 110. I think I can sell the john deere for more then enough to pay for it and the cub. My mistake dawned on me while I was eating lunch. I was thinking I could sneak back on here and delete where I called it a 8hp before anyone noticed.. too late for that haha.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickb72 View Post
Hello, as what most of the old guys always told me it's cheaper to buy one than to build one. And that's usually true. Price things out and have fun. Mike
this is true. But hard to find something someone else built that's exactly what you want. I have a bunch of chevelles and novas I am working on.. .would be way cheaper getting one already done then buying basket cases cheap and going though it. I get on craigslist multiple times a day for the past 8 years or so and Ive never even seen a puller for sale on there. Like I said there in only one organization I found that does it and one more that's fixing to start. I think it will start to be popular if it does start. They are a bunch that pull antique tractors. I think it would be good to start pulling the small ones too at those events.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:43 PM

The 122 is an excellent candidate. You can find almost everything you need at the various vendors. Unless you are more the type of guy that prefers to do your own thing. You can check out Zack Kerber Machine, Midwest Super Cub, Vogel Manufacturing... If you have a Facebook account search for Garden Tractor pulling help group.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Grand Member

http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...874#post277874

Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoton View Post
This is a excellent thread.