Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor (LT)

Notices

Old 07-13-2017, 05:48 PM

Default 1320 PTO belt will not stop

Hi,
I have a 1320 in well maintained condition. It has the newer style front deck bracket that makes the deck 'fore and aft' adjustable. I have a properly sized belt, my tensioner is clean, greased and operates freely.

My deck brake is maintained, adjusted and works properly.

Even with the deck adjusted to make the belt extremely loose, when I pull the disengage lever the belt stops, I hear the brake grab, the blades stop. But then the belt slowly starts moving with enough pull to override the brake. I have even cleaned and sanded the drive pulley with successively finer emory cloth till it was polished so smooth I wondered if it would even pull the belt ( it does ).

It slipped bad enough the other day when I was using the tractor to haul a wagon and not cutting grass that the brake started smoking. I put on a new belt and it still persists. This is a development this season that has not happened in all the years I've previously cut grass with it. Any suggestions?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:17 AM

Sounds like this is an issue with the pto not disengaging to me. I think thats where I would look first.

Randy
1 73
1 2182
Old 07-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Grand Member

The PTO belt guide must be installed correctly. It "corrals" the belt on the sides and keeps it from gripping the drive pulley.

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Default PTO belt

Randy and Delta.
Thank you for replying.
The idler pulley mechanism fully retracts and the belt is very loose.
I have even tried adjusting it to be so loose that even once fully engaged it was still loose enough that it "flapped".
Yet, somehow the drive pulley is still pulling the belt.
I just replaced belt guide on the idler pulley and it is properly positioned and the drive belt guide is not adjustable.
I have replaced the spring on the deck brake to be sure the brake was pulling as tight as it should and the brake pad is not worn away, even though it was smoking and it grips tight.

It is very perplexing to me and I am a very capable mechanic.
I was hoping that maybe someone had possibly encountered this before and had a solution or some some specific instructions for correcting this.

Am I correct in my presumption that the drive pulley needs to be smooth so as to be able to spin without pulling the belt when it is disengaged since the belt still resides on the pulley even when disengaged?

Also, is there a guide to indicate how much slack should be in the belt when disengaged and how much tension should be in the belt once engaged?
I do not see this in my manual.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 AM
Grand Member

If the the belt guide is distorted and allows the belt to sway out on the sides of the drive pulley, it will be driven by the pulley. The guide must keep the belt close to the "sides" of the pulley and away from where it curves around and engages the engine driven pulley. Clear as mud?

Queen Of The Quietlines!
Old 07-15-2017, 02:07 PM

Thank you, I'll take a closer look at that