Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 10:54 PM

Default "Doesn't run" - People describing cubs for sale...

So my Brother N Law calls me tonight and says there's a cub for sale and they only want $65 for it. Needless to say I jumped in the car, picked him up and went to look at it, even though it was already getting dark.

Turns out it's a 108 (haven't had a green stripe in a while) with a deck, home made wheel weights and no other goodies (maybe ags, it was getting dark) but for $65 who could complain. The lady said something was wrong with it and it "doesn't run" but she did not know what it was but it "does have gas in it".

I've bought many tractors that "didn't run" and most of them have been stupid things so I thought it would be interesting to hear your "doesn't run" stories.

Here's some of mine...
1) I bought a 1650 with dual hydraulics that was "locked up" for $50. I get it home, take the mouse nest out of the blower housing and it ran great. I used that tractor for years and still have it.

2) Ad in paper "Cub tractor won't start free". This turned out to be a little 106 with off brand cast weights, creeper, and three point. Ended up being a plugged screen on the sediment bowl.

3) I stopped and asked about a 782D years ago that was sitting in a guys lawn. It wasn't running but he was planning on getting it fixed. I told him where I lived and if he ever wanted to sell it LMK. A few years later the same guy knocks on my door and says he is getting a new tractor and the diesel no longer runs (he had it to the local Kubota dealer several times). I asked what he wanted for it and he said at least $50 to cover the new tires on the front. I gave him a $100, got it home, washed the nasty gelled fuel out of the tank and replaced the lines and filters. Smokes a little on start-up but runs great otherwise and I still use it today.

4) My brother tells me a lady he works with has a tractor they want gone, her description.. "it's a Big boy tractor that's yellow and white". I get there and find a 154 Loboy, tiller, deck, snowblade, with dual brakes, creeper and 3 point. The creeper gear was bad but I got the tractor for free. I ended up trading a couple of originals (parts tractors) and a beat up #2 trailer for a creeper but otherwise the tractor was great.

5) A guy stops by and says his cub won't start and says he just needs something to mow grass with. I traded him an old Craftsman (one of the ugly gray ones) for a nice little 1200. It turned out to be a bad spark plug.

6) I bought a nice 1450 for $100 with a leaf in the tank. The owner said "it only runs when it wants to".

I can't wait to get the 108 home tomorrow and see what "doesn't run" really means. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky...

Let's hear some of your stories...
1872 (I call her Vera), 782D, 154 Loboy (w/tiller, 3260 deck, and front blade), 3-1650s, 2-1000s, 149, 147, 106, 1810, Farmall Cub, Haban sickle bar (not mounted), No. 2 trailer and several parts tractors.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Grand Member

bought a 109 with wheel weights for $100. the guy said he bought it from an auction and in the description said it had a broken rod. well i brought it home, put a battery in it and it started right up. even with the old gas!!!

Cub cadets 100, 125, 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 129, 149, 149, 169, 1450, 1650 and a handfull of parts tractors. #40 box blade, ih back blade, rear ih rock rake, #2 cart, windbreaker soft cabs, windbreaker hard cab, cozy cab, kwikway loader , wards corn planter, brinly plows, culitvator, rear blade, disc and the usual decks, snowblowers and 2 tillers
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihnick View Post
bought a 109 with wheel weights for $100. the guy said he bought it from an auction and in the description said it had a broken rod. well i brought it home, put a battery in it and it started right up. even with the old gas!!!
I wonder if they were talking about a different rod?

OP....very cool post! Sorry it got moved!......Oh well you win some .......
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Odd that this was moved to general discussion, it's certainly Cub related

Well I got the 108 home, checked the oil (it had been ran but was very clean), stuck a battery in it and nothing. Got out the test light and determined the PTO safety switch was bad. I didn't have a spare so I stuck a jumper in it for now and now it's cranking really nice

Pulled the plug and I'm getting weak spark so I'll pick up some points, condenser, plug and a new coil for it (the coil is weeping some oil anyway).

I stuck the plug back in and put some fuel in it but it started running out of the carb so I pulled the bowl and got the float moving but it's filthy. The bowl gasket was brittle so I'll throw a carb kit in it while I'm at it.

The tractor was showing promise and I was waiting on parts so I dug out a 3 point and Brinly adapter but I'm missing the pin that mounts to the rock shaft, I'll have to dig some more. Maybe I can get it going in the next few days and plow the garden with it. The worst part of the tractor is the fender pan which has some holes in the floor boards and some dents, I'll see if I can locate a decent set of fenders if it runs good. Hopefully I'll have under $100 in a nice little worker

I'll try to get some pics this weekend for ya...
1872 (I call her Vera), 782D, 154 Loboy (w/tiller, 3260 deck, and front blade), 3-1650s, 2-1000s, 149, 147, 106, 1810, Farmall Cub, Haban sickle bar (not mounted), No. 2 trailer and several parts tractors.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Grand Member

no the guy said the auctioneer told him it was the engine rod cuz it had no compression. i spun the engine by hand and heard ( poof poof) come out the muffler. people these days lol

Cub cadets 100, 125, 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 129, 149, 149, 169, 1450, 1650 and a handfull of parts tractors. #40 box blade, ih back blade, rear ih rock rake, #2 cart, windbreaker soft cabs, windbreaker hard cab, cozy cab, kwikway loader , wards corn planter, brinly plows, culitvator, rear blade, disc and the usual decks, snowblowers and 2 tillers
Old 05-14-2011, 08:39 PM

Most people have never heard of compression release, LOL.

Well I now have good spark on the 108 and it seems it had other issues as well. The exhaust valve was stuck open and it wouldn't even fire. I pulled the breather off and after a good while with a screw driver and lots of carb cleaner I managed to get the valve to move. It now opens good but still does not close all the way, it will run but not very well. I think I'm going to fill the plug hole with carb cleaner, let it sit then repeat. Unless someone has a better method, if all else I'll pull the head.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 AM

this can go both ways. i bought my 147 for 150 bucks. prevous owner said engine was rebuilt but didnt run because the end of the crankshaft was screwed up. i was thinking i would install another crank and have a running tractor for 150 bucks. i got i home and was going and pulled the head. i cranked it over by hand and noticed the valves werent moving at all. i had never seen that before. i pulled the oil pan. the grenade gears had let go and wiped out the camshaft gear. well i thought i would need a crank and a camshaft. i tore it down to a bare block and noticed i was missing a chunk from the bottom of the bore sleeve. i basically junked the block and picked up a k301 block cheap. i completely rebuilt that engine and now it runs sweet. tractor is essentially a 127 now, but the k301 has plenty of power. i own 2 of them and they are always eager to work. my john deere 112 also has a k301, which is not the original engine on that tractor either. the k321 would have been nicer on the 147 but at the end of the day, it just doesnt matter. a k301 with large flywheel is almost as powerful.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:52 AM

Funny, I could've picked up a "non-running" 1450 as well. I said that I wouldn't be able to get it on the truck if it didn't run. So he cleaned the carb and dumped the gunk out of the bowls and it fired right up. Now I have to pay the "running" price.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Grand Member

I picked up the 102 from a farmer that said it did not run He was right the head gasket was blown. about $12 later and some wrenching and cleaning it turns to be a nice running Cub with creeper.

The 86 was drug up on to the trailer and was a wreck. But engine wise it needed a valve to be freed up. and is a good runner but needs clutch work.
The 127 was purchased from My Aunt in Circleville Ohio. They had bought it new and mowed lawn with it for years. It finally would not start. I took some tools with me and had it running in a couple of hours. Mainly bad old gas and carb cleaning. Drove it on the truck and brought it home. Since then it has mowed a lot. Two years ago it got a complete freshening.

The 73 was a call from my Uncle in Conneautville. He had to get this Cub out of the garage. I told him I did not need or want it, he kept calling. Finally said he would take some maple syrup and honey for it. I wasn't expecting to much. And was pleasantly surprised to see a CUB in pretty good condition with a very good 36 inch mower deck. It ran but is the smoker of the group. Another project.

I did find a nice 1200 Friday. Std shift. The guy says it runs very poorly, and makes funny sounds when trying to start. He is somewhat mechanical so it probably has a bad engine. I asked if he wanted to sell it? I told him I have a CUB problem. He just could not understand why someone would need more than 1 CUB I think it has a 48 inch deck too? Must have a electric clutch engagement system. I don't know anything about the 1200 other than when opening the hood it has several shrouds covering the engine. I assume there is a 12 HP under there somewhere? I will keep that one in mind for the future. I told him he would have $600 in a rebuild or $1000 in a new engine.
I said it might be worth $150 as is.

Regards,
Chris

Cubs: 147R and the "train", 127 elec lift, 127, 125, 106, 102, 100, 86, 73, Brinly plow, Snow thrower, 2 Rototillers, several mower decks and several snow plows, #1 cart, Grandkids barrel cart.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Cub stories are awesome! There's nothing more satisfying than buying something that doesn't work and getting it running.

1200s are really nice tractors and don't let all that shrouding discourage you, it's just a Kohler.

Sounds like you haven't owned a QL yet. Be sure to check the ISO mounts, if they're bad they'll cause the clutch to flex and break out around the holes. I had a 1000 given to me because the PO got tired of replacing that plate. I replaced the ISO mounts and replaced the drive plate with the early non-flex one and never had any more issues with it.