Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
Well at least you admit it. And aren't like some who take things apart then leave it lay around, then give up, and ends up being a pile of junk. Parts...
BUT, sometime you'll need to face your fears.
Have to chuckle at part of what you're saying. My dad, who WAS an ace mechanic, took things apart and, as you say, often left the pieces laying around; however, the reason he did not always put them back together was not for fear of giving up but rather because he just moved on to something else - fully intending to get back to and complete many different projects that were in various states of disassembly, reassembly or repair. After he passed, the workbench and basement of my Mom's house was a bit like an archeological dig through the past few decades. My brother and I discovered loads of these projects that for one reason or another never quite came to completion.

As to the other part of what you're saying, about my need to face my fears - it's not about actually being "afraid" to tackle a rebuild in the truest sense of the word, but moreso a realization that the amount of time I'd need to devote to it just isn't there. I'd have to sacrifice so many other more important things that do need to be done in a much shorter timeframe. And, if I'd start taking the engine apart, even with copious notes and pictures, then get bogged down in other responsibilities, I suspect my garage floor and workbench would wind up in the same state that my dad's was. I'd have to stay at it without much lull in between the work or I'd simply forget too much of what had already been done. Hope that clarifies some of my thoughts.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
three, no problem, I understand. What I'm saying is, don't be intimidated by rebuilding one of these. If your going to spend $800 on a short block and then pay someone else $200 + to put it together you can probably by another machine in your neck of the woods.
I'm already looking for other Cubs..actually found one that looks to be in great shape but have to find out more about it. The guy who has it actually just bought it from someone else and thus far doesn't seem to have much info on it.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Why is it that when someone wants to buy a motor, all you guys throw a fit and try to talk them into doing it themselves, even when they state they don't have the knowledge or time to do it? I hear all the time "it's not rocket science" or "it's just a garden tractor motor". Well... yeah. But whenever people have wiring issues, you would think it was either a rocket or a bomb. Threads with post after post after post of people trying to sort out a simple starting issue on a tractor with all of 4 circuits and like 10 wires. Everyone ALWAYS suggests buying a new harness. No one EVER suggests to anyone to rewire it themselves. Why is it that people think the motor is soooo simple, and the wiring soooo hard? I don't think either one is difficult..... you guys get the point??? If a guy wants to pay someone to overhaul the motor, or buy a motor, or buy a wiring harness, then LET THEM. Frustrating to me that a Cub Cadet is never a "rocket" or "the space shuttle" unless you are trying to rewire it. Then, and only then is too difficult to fix yourself. At least not without a thread containing 100 posts.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Why is it that when someone wants to buy a motor, all you guys throw a fit and try to talk them into doing it themselves, even when they state they don't have the knowledge or time to do it? I hear all the time "it's not rocket science" or "it's just a garden tractor motor". Well... yeah. But whenever people have wiring issues, you would think it was either a rocket or a bomb. Threads with post after post after post of people trying to sort out a simple starting issue on a tractor with all of 4 circuits and like 10 wires. Everyone ALWAYS suggests buying a new harness. No one EVER suggests to anyone to rewire it themselves. Why is it that people think the motor is soooo simple, and the wiring soooo hard? I don't think either one is difficult..... you guys get the point??? If a guy wants to pay someone to overhaul the motor, or buy a motor, or buy a wiring harness, then LET THEM. Frustrating to me that a Cub Cadet is never a "rocket" or "the space shuttle" unless you are trying to rewire it. Then, and only then is too difficult to fix yourself. At least not without a thread containing 100 posts.
I do all my own wiring and stunts.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
I do all my own wiring and stunts.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
LOL Seriously though, I get your point, but I still appreciate all the input I've been receiving here. I don't mind the encouragement to tackle a big job myself. IF I had the time and alot of personal over-the-shoulder type help, like my Dad used to be able to give me at times - I'd be willing to take it on or at least part of it - but he's not here anymore and I don't have the time, so I need to let professionals help me out. I think that, like a pinball machine, my mind is just about ready to go to 'tilt' with everything that has been said here over the past few weeks. Again, thanks to all! I'll put in a new battery, try my best to better time the points, and if that doesn't help then it's out of my hands.

All that being said, with homage to those who are hesitant to tackle rewiring, I would probably be the same way. Most electrical-related jobs just scare me. I let my IH dealer do a new wire harness just the other year. He said it was rather a B to do.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
LOL Seriously though, I get your point, but I still appreciate all the input I've been receiving here. I don't mind the encouragement to tackle a big job myself. IF I had the time and alot of personal over-the-shoulder type help, like my Dad used to be able to give me at times - I'd be willing to take it on or at least part of it - but he's not here anymore and I don't have the time, so I need to let professionals help me out. I think that, like a pinball machine, my mind is just about ready to go to 'tilt' with everything that has been said here over the past few weeks. Again, thanks to all! I'll put in a new battery, try my best to better time the points, and if that doesn't help then it's out of my hands.
My comment really wasn't directed at you..... I appreciate you're position, LOL. I made a lot of money off people just like you, so I get it.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
My comment really wasn't directed at you..... I appreciate you're position, LOL. I made a lot of money off people just like you, so I get it.
Now Jonathan...taking advantage of us newbies....really....you should be shamed to the core....LOL Just kidding!!!! I am very appreciative of peoples' abilities and skills, no matter in what walks of life they occur. Greatness can be found in anything, if a guy knows what he's doing and what he's about. (I think Paul Newman echoed these thoughts (or similar) in "The Hustler"...)