Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 09-05-2016, 08:21 AM

Default 450 blower belt tension

Something isnt right with this blower belt adjustment. I am going to double check the belt length.

It seems like too much an angle to me, and not straight inline with the impeller nor perpendicular to the belt path. Am thinking belt wear, spline wear, etc.

Whats needed?

There is an adjustment bolt missing from the top of the gear box which simply pushes it away from the housing. Which if that is meant to be an adjuster would suggest it should naturally want to pull/tilt the opposite to this. So doesnt seem like the first problem (but likely the next problem)

The idler adjuster spring seems pretty strong and could have been replaced with one too strong. Doesnt look original.

Other than belt length, and spring tension, I dont see any other adjustments. And belt length really only needs to be long enough to reach when slack, then the spring tension should set the belt tension...

And if belt tension is too high might not be good for bearings (on the engine nor the gear box)

I should fix it. Insights?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1365.jpg (21.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

That has nothing to do with belt tension. Either the drive shaft out of the gearbox is broken, or something is very bad wrong.

Take the belt off. Grab the gearbox and try to rock it on the "hinge". It shouldn't move. If it does, start taking the blower apart. Remove the augers, then the impeller. Problem should be obvious.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:20 PM
Grand Member

Yea you have something bad wrong going on there. Since the fan inside the housing cannot rock to that angle without causing serious damage to the fan housing I'm with Jon on a broken output shaft or the internal splines on the fan are wallowed out bad enough to let the gearbox rock to such a position. Being that the internal splines are a much softer material than the output shaft on the gearbox I'm gonna stick with my 2nd option. The fans can be purchased new or you can can have them bored and sleeved with a new spline. I had a friend on this forum repair one and I repaired one myself.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 PM

Impeller splines dont look too good....

Shaft output splines do seem much harder. Not perfect but better.

When it goes back together I will pay attention to get as much engagement length as possible, it doesnt seem that it was all the way down on the shaft.

If someone has a replacement impeller in good shape PM me, else am going to try to bore and replace the splines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1366.jpg (27.2 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1367.jpg (22.6 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1368.jpg (20.1 KB, 155 views)
Old 09-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Grand Member

The output spline on the gearbox has to be slide all the way inside the splines on the fan. The aluminum shoulder on the gearbox has to be slide inside the hole on the housing just about flush. Then you can tighten up the mounting brackets on either side of the gearbox.Looks like about only half of the splines are engaged.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeter View Post
Auger splines dont look too good....

Shaft output splines do seem much harder. Not perfect but better.

When it goes back together I will pay attention to get as much engagement length as possible, it doesnt seem that it was all the way down on the shaft.

If someone has a replacement auger in good shape PM me, else am going to try to bore and replace the splines.

You need to replace the splines on the impeller. They are shot. Or get a new one.

You keep talking about the auger..... are you talking about the impeller/fan? The augers are stand alone and not splined. They have a shear bolt on the auger drive shaft. The auger drive gearbox has two shafts.... neither are splined.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
are you talking about the impeller/fan?
Yes, corrected in the posts.

Thank you
Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubs-n-bxrs View Post
Looks like about only half of the splines are engaged.
I think so. Which no doubt was major contributor to it failing.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Administrator

That's ugly. Put it back together, list it on C-List, send it down the road and go find a good one or get ready to get you wallet out.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
That's ugly. Put it back together, list it on C-List, send it down the road and go find a good one or get ready to get you wallet out.
True that!

When I went through the auger drive on mine a couple years ago, it got kind of expensive. I ended up buying one new auger. They are still available, but a different style. Should have bought two. I repaired the old one and put it back on and kept the new. Point is, you can buy another for about the same price as it takes to fix one. But.... I like my stuff and this way I know what I have.