Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 07:15 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Daniel, there is nothing wrong with owning something you don't need very often. I have a generator too.... I hope I don't have to use it, but sometimes I do, and it's nice to have!

Right...I have limited storage space so I try not to acquire things I won't use. Yeah I know, build a shed....

(May 1970) 147 w/an IH spring assist, 48" deck, 42" blade, 1969 73, #2 trailer, 10" Brinly plow and (on loan) Dad's #2 tiller.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadslingingdaddy View Post
J just remember....

Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!

That's what I tell the wife anyways!!! : - )
I agree Randy! That's why I have more things than I have room to store! Have to rent a shed to put them all in.

Unfortunately, my wife also lives by the same philosophy...... and we have too much crap that is just piled up. We have a crib, baby toys, pack and play, a million car seats... and we don't have any babies, and NOT going to have anymore!! (Yes, quite sure on that one.) She keeps telling me it's "in case" she needs it babysitting. I told her I would be happy to buy all that sh!t again when (***IF***) she ever needs it again!

It's all still here......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Steve View Post
Cool looking blower. Hope the repairs go smoothly!
Thanks Steve.... but that never happens, lol.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:19 PM
Banned

So, I'll give an update.

Not much progress to really show.... But I have the blower housing stripped down, and have started the welding repairs. In the pics below, I welded farther than the factory welds, but after much internal debate (with myself) I have decided to solid weld the mounting flanges, and the impeller housing to the auger housing. When you weld things together, sometimes there is no benefit to solid welding something together, as stitch welds will hold just fine. After looking at the stitch welds on the machine, the high stress areas were all broken out, and I think solid welding it will make it stronger. I honestly think it was a simple cost vs expected life that kept them from doing so at the factory. So, what welding I have done, there will be much, much more. Then..... I ran out of Argon/CO2. So.... stopped me for a while. My lease on my Argon bottle is up, so this is going to be a costly refill.... like $200. That's more than I intended to spend on this whole project, so I moved on to some other repairs until I make some more "play moneys", lol.

Started taking the impeller off the driveshaft. Of coarse, it is rusted stuck on. After heating and air hammering it for maybe 15 min, I heated it up again, soaked it in Kroil and let it sit. Tomorrow, I'm hoping it will just fall off on it's own....

Just as a note to you guys: When heating something to facilitate removal, you have to heat the part (in this case the tube on the impeller) but not heat the shaft it is on, as doing so causes it to also swell, and thus gains nothing. You have to quickly heat the tube, try to move it, and you may get one more chance at a heat before the shaft gets too hot and everything seizes again. Seen guys time and again just keep heating and beating, them not knowing they were causing themselves more harm than help. Once it's hot.... let it cool completely and start over again. Yes, that may take even a couple hours if it's a large piece, but that's just how it is. I'll try again tomorrow.

I did get the augers off the shaft, and plan to take the auger drive box apart to clean, lube and seal it up. I also think I may see about getting stainless shafts made to replace the ones that the blower and augers ride on. I hate that the shaft rusts and things get stuck. Never know when you might bend an impeller blade and have to take it all apart again. I don't want to deal with a stuck impeller again.

I called Maple hunter today to ask about making me a COMPLETE new set of decals for this machine. (Why do these projects always go from "just get it running" to "COMPLETE overhaul"????) I'm in the process of taking measurements and pics to send off to them so they can reproduce an entire set of decals for this machine. Hope they only charge for the making and not the designing. Hate to have to pay to be the guinea pig.

I figure if I'm going to weld up the whole blower housing, then why not just sandblast it and paint it. Be easier to weld with the paint removed, and look better all painted than just painting what I burned off. Plus, it would be nice to own something really nice. All my equipment is mechanically good, but nothing pretty to look at. I've got it all apart.... why not paint it?? (Oh yeah.... because I don't have a paint booth. Why does Olds have to be so far away??)

Here's some pics, just so you guys know I can weld. Not my best work, but I'm not using the ESAB. Just the Lincoln.
Yes, in the first pic there is weld over weld. That was an area where it had cracked. I doubled it up to help give it some strength, and make sure the crack got welded good.

11.jpg12.jpg
13.jpg

Oh, here is the lower auger housing after the cutting edge was removed. Told you guys it was bad. I'm going to cut it off, make a new piece, weld it in, then make a new cutting edge and bolt it on. I used to do a lot of trading with my local welding shop... and they just got a new waterjet. I'll have them make both pieces. Slotted holes and square holes will be easy for that machine to make.

9.jpg
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM
Administrator

You're not done yet? What's the hold up?
BX2670 with FEL
Old 01-23-2018, 04:59 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
Years ago I was researching choppers and found some shop in the Midwest area that was doing it. Called and talked to the guy, nice fellow. Claimed to be one of the first to do such. Never sent mine, just lived with it no more than I was using it--it wasn't horrible but it could have used some help. The only shop I knew of here that built drivelines couldn't balance my chopper.

So what HP engine is on that machine? I'll guess 8 at the most. I assume you'll tune it up and get it running. Just wondering how hard those older air cooled ROPE START machines are to crank in freezing weather. I actually had a NOS Briggs 110V starter kit. Don't ask how it wound up this far south. Had everybody here scratching their head WHY such a thing existed. Took a Yankee to educate us on that one!
Not to start any arguments on the claim of balancing straw choppers first but I was a youngster when Dad had his done up the road aways. Sioux Automation. I’m guessing 1970s.
It does make a huge difference how the combine feels.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 01-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
So what HP engine is on that machine? I'll guess 8 at the most. I assume you'll tune it up and get it running. Just wondering how hard those older air cooled ROPE START machines are to crank in freezing weather. I actually had a NOS Briggs 110V starter kit. Don't ask how it wound up this far south. Had everybody here scratching their head WHY such a thing existed. Took a Yankee to educate us on that one!
You must mean one of these, comes in handy when that recoil gets stiff in the cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00567.jpg (17.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
So, I'll give an update............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...
Good to see your progress Jon.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkminion_17 View Post
You must mean one of these, comes in handy when that recoil gets stiff in the cold.
You are missing the starter gear.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 01-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

No, I'm not done yet, Sam. LOL!

Thanks Dave!

Lew, I'm liking that starter kit!!!!
I think the flywheel already has a gear on it, doesn't it? From the parts book, it appears that way....

Not much to report today. Dropped the blower housing and cutting edge off at a welding shop to have a repair piece and new cutting edge made. Rescue11 says that's cheating, but so easy for them to cut them out on the water jet. Then I just weld on the new part, and bolt on a new edge.

They got my impeller off the shaft for me too..... why not? I was going in there anyway, lol.

Also stopped by and checked on a lease price for my empty Argon bottle.... .it wasn't as bad as I thought, but I have another deal I just made and am going to spend the $100 elsewhere for this week. I'll have another thread on that later..... probably early next week. I'm pretty excited about it!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Banned

Got my parts back from the welding shop today. Busy day, and busy evening. I just picked them up, dropped them off at my building and had to run home. Post pics tomorrow! They are NICE. Water jet machines do amazing work. I was impressed!