Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Grand Member

As Matt says, take it apart and find the problem.
I don't see as it makes any difference, if the bearing (s) is/are bad,--- replace
them. if the shaft (s) is/are wallowed replace it/them.
If you want a guess, I'd say it is the bearing.
If you take it off the tractor like I suggested, and look at the shaft in question, you can see if the movement is in the bearing, or the shaft is sloppy in the bearing.
But you ain't gonna do that easily with it installed on the tractor,
and you can't tell if the inner bearings are bad till you take it apart & wash them and feel/visually inspect.
It had been my experience that the bearing on the input goes first, then again I have seen moisture take out a inner bearing and the outer sealed bearings be ok.
I wished all jobs were this simple/easy, don't make it out to be more.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvcman View Post
so IF there is no play in the bearing its the shaft ?? Where is the best place to get the bearings ?
Did you not read my previous posts?
ebay is the cheapest then our sponsors then mother cub cadet
Also read matts replies.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 PM

no im gonna dig into it soon though unless I decide to sell it and find something eaiser to use ie; hydro lift and tranny etc.

I see the ebay thing thx ! How about the shaft if I need them and the oil seal ??
Old 03-14-2011, 02:49 PM

George, those bearings are 3/4 X 1-5/8" x 1/2 " on epay...How did you get them for 6.00 ?? Just made an offer ?? And these are the same ones my QA42A takes ??

Also do I ned to replace the oil seal ?? Is so where do I get that..
Thx
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Grand Member

[QUOTE=cvcman;62814]George, those bearings are 3/4 X 1-5/8" x 1/2 " on epay...How did you get them for 6.00 ?? Just made an offer ?? And these are the same ones my QA42A takes ??

Also do I ned to replace the oil seal ?? Is so where do I get that..
Thx[/QUOTE
---I made him an offer, just like it says.
Those bearings are outer bearings, some gear boxes use a narrower bearing on the inner, some use those and no separate seals.
How would I know if your seals are bad/worn? I'm good, but not that good!
Do they look worn? are they even there? is the shaft rusted where they are installed?
Re read previous replies where to get parts.
Most folks take things apart and see what is needed, then try to make a single order if possible.
This avoids duplicate shipping costs, if ordering from the same supplier.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM

I didnt see anyone talking about seals. The parts breakdown shows a different outter and inner bearing. IF I need them would this guy have then do you think ? I will tear into this soon and post my findings...Thanks for the help
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Oh one more thing. the bearings are not pressed in or not so much that I need something special to get them out ??
Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Here's a copy/paste of some good gearbox info I posted on another thread...

I've had three of these gearboxes apart so far - two of them had four sealed NICE 1630 bearings, two on each shaft. The other one had the 1630 bearings on the outside of each shaft along with a seal and a 5/16" wide unsealed R12 bearing on the inside.

NEVER use a gear puller on these cast iron pulleys or you WILL break them. Take the cover and snap ring off and drive the shaft out of the box, a 5/8" aluminum or brass punch is your best friend here. With the long shaft/pulley combo out of the box you can set the pulley on top of your vise with the shaft pointing down and drive that sucker outta there. The punch is your friend again here!

Another tip - most people don't know this - snap rings only go on ONE WAY. The ID of the ring has a sharp edge on one side and a radiused edge on the other - the sharp edge always faces the end of the shaft. If put on backwards, the radius can make the snap ring walk up and out of the groove.

Last tip - I fill my boxes with a 50/50 mix of grease and 90WT gear oil, whether it's got a drain plug or not. Put some sealant on the cover bolt threads since two of the holes are drilled and tapped all the way to the inside of the box and those two will leak otherwise.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:54 PM

iyou can get most anything you want from
www.yardparts warehouse.com