Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER)

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Cadet 95 electrical issues

I have bumped into an issues regarding my 95e. More than one actually, but lets start with the initial problem and go from there.

My 95e starts and the traction motor runs fine. Bases on the wiring diagram I have a bad traction motor switch that does not connect circuits B & C. The continuity is hit and miss, but the important issue is I have only about 1.5 volts at those contacts when the traction motor is in the run position. I have spent hours and hours looking for a traction motor switch without success. The one I have does not appear to be original. It is an Indak switch, 3 position, 5 terminal, milled key. I looked at Indak's site and they do not identify their terminal clearly enough for me to determine which switch would work well.

Without the traction motor switch it is virtually impossible to continue testing the rest of the system. I suspect the blade switch may also be bad as well. I know one of the circuit breakers is bad, there is no continuity through it. I would rather not get involved in "hot wiring" things to test further.

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or suggestions?

Thanks ML
Old 07-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Administrator

From "my" research, the Key Switch (traction motor switch) is a IH-57599-C1 which is NLA. According to the diagram I have, it is a six terminal, three position switch. I went to the Indak web site, and I can not find any thing that matches up to the Cub Cadet arrangement. Thus I conclude, it was a specialty switch just made for IH/Cub Cadet.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 07-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Thanks Roland

I have all of the requisite books on the 95e. The service manual has the wiring diagram and on that it does show 6 positions. However, the Traction Motor Switch indicates that the two positions marked "B" are internally connected in a constant state. That is perhaps why there would only be 5 actual terminals. In that way, B&C are connected in both the Start and Run modes. My switch harness connector as well as a parts chassis both have 5 terminal connectors.

I have noticed that you seem to be a bit of a guru on these electrical issues. Not being one is really driving me nuts. I can follow basic circuits, but in this case it is difficult to follow everything once it gets to and past the traction motor switch. Also, IH has the positions marked as A,B,C,D,E. Whereas most switches are marked as B,S,I,A,R. As a result, things get confusing. IMO, as long as the IH terminal A is connected to Bat + via post 1 of the traction motor magnetic switch and the transmission neutral switch and IH terminal E is connected to post #2 on the traction motor magnetic switch via post #5 on the blade motor magnetic switch, the rest is easier to figure out. My biggest fear is that I really do not want to cut the wire harness connector and have to re-wire it. From what I can see, both harnesses are original. As long as A never connects to E there should be no issue to be worried about.

Another thing that burned a few brain cells was a "jumper" wire from the traction motor magnetic switch post 3 to the 100 amp fuse. All I can determine is somebody was trying to bypass the traction motor thermal switch. The motor ran just fine with or without the mysterious "jumper" wire.

Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

ML
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM

Roland

I revisited the Indak site and after analyzing the needs I better understand the connection requirements. I believe that the Indak part number 3A463A will work as required. It is listed as a "Special". I emailed Indak with a request for some additional terminal photos and/or descriptions and will see what they reply with.

I also believe that I found a toggle switch for the Blade Motor Switch, IH-57600-C1. Based on it's description, it should be the same as the original in all aspects.

I printed out the two pages, one for each switch. If you want them, I can scan and e-mail copies. I think I can also attach them here in a post if you prefer.

Let me know what you think.

ML
Old 07-06-2016, 03:01 PM

Some additional investigation has shown that all of the component parts for the model 95 are exactly the same as on the models 60, 55 & 75 based on the IH part number. This includes the actual key. The only thing that is not a match is the switch itself. I would suspect that the model 85 & 85 Special also used these components as well. If you look closely or zoom in on the wiring blowup you can see that the switch is mounted in both the Retainer and the Socket using a DD hole configuration and it is larger than the Blade Switch which is a D configuration. The only Indak manufactured key switch with the larger DD configuration is the milled key versions.

To my knowledge, the only two other members here that have the model 95 are MBounds & JeffK. I would appreciate it if either of these two could or would look at their keys and switches and verify that they are indeed a 5 terminal configuration.

My next search is going to be if an electric golf cart set up would have a similar configuration. Considering the all electric configuration, it may have a similar wiring system.

I called Indak today and am waiting for a return call to see if their part number 3A463A is still an available part number. If this switch is not an exact replacement, I think it would be a functionally suitable one. In my experience with design and engineering people, they seem to look for existing hardware that will accomplish a specific task and then design the rest of the components around it. I don't know that IH would have designed a switch and had them "custom" made when an available stock option already existed. I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first or the last time.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

ML
Old 07-12-2016, 05:37 PM

Do I have to have the full 36V power source in order to bench test the solenoids?

I am confused by the blade motor solenoid. It appears that if I energize the coil via #7 & 8, the resulting connection at #6 simply creates a negative to negative battery connection. I fail to see where the blade motors get their positive side power. Can anyone enlighten me?

ML
Old 07-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Administrator

I will gladly help you but I need some information. I see the Blade Motor Solenoid on the Wiring Diagram. I went to the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup site and can't seem to find it.

I need a picture(s) of this solenoid, so I have a better understanding of what is being accomplished in the diagram.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:49 PM

Thanks Roland

I have the solenoid at my home and will take a picture of it tonight. I have never posted any photos here, so that may be a new trial and error. First I will iPhone the photo then have to transfer that to my Mac and then see how to post it here. Physically, the solenoid looks pretty much like the diagram drawing.

Based on the wiring diagram it sure looks like post #6 and the adjacent post, not numbered, but directly connected to the 100 amp Fuse and ground will be connected when the coil is energized.

The other question was: Do I have to have the 36V power source in order to bench test either one of the solenoids?

Thanks again.

ML
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Roland

Here is the picture. I hope my resizing effort worked. Hope it is helpful.

ML
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blade motor solenoid.jpg (61.3 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 PM
Administrator

From that picture, can you show or tell what wire colors went to what terminals...??