Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Cub Cadet 1650 engine trouble

Hello everyone.. I recently acquired 1977 International Harvester cub cadet 1650 from a close friend.. The machine looks great! However after getting it home and using it for approximately 10-20 minutes, the engine began bogging down. ...the spark plug looked worn so i replaced it but still no changes.

Thee gone turns over each time but the engine will immediately begin bogging down after the i itial bogging down which occurs after running the machine for typically around 15-20 minutes... I have to wait a considerable amount of time for it to "cool down" before using it to where I can move it.

I ordered new points and condenser. I replaced the condenser which seem to improve the run time to maybe around 30 minutes before it began with the
same issue (engine bogging down while moving forward).

I then noticed the return clutch/brake spring snapped off so I replaced that. Still no changes.

I have no experience with points and have heard it's not easy to install. I don't want to attempt this yet as I do not know if this is the issue. Doess anybody have any other recommendations or any other areas to tes that? any help would be much appreciated as this tractor is new to me

Alex

I attached a photo of the tractor. elle .. thanks for looking and helping out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8076.jpg (34.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 PM
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Doing a tune up to an old machine that is new to you is never a bad idea, but it is also nice to know that you are doing something that needs to be done. That said, filing the points is usually good enough to bring them back into shape. Points in these engines usually last a long time, depending on the hours they have ran.

"Bogging down" is such a relative term. Doesn't really explain much.
*Does it pull down and die?
*Does it pull down from an idle, or WOT, or half throttle???
*Does it pick back up once you stop moving?
*Is it an engine problem, or a trans problem?
*How much was the tractor used prior to you getting it? Was it a weekly use machine? Or has it sat?
*Has the engine had any work done to it recently?

Lots of questions..... need some more information to help you legitimately. My initial response would be to clean the fuel system including removal of the tank and carb, replace the fuel lines, at the least remove the bowl off the carb and drain it. File the points and time the engine as per the engine manual. (More info on that can be provided if necessary.) Check and replace the air filter as necessary and service the hydro trans with new oil and a filter.... It that doesn't help, pull the head and check things out.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:47 AM

All the things J-Mech suggested are good to do to a new to you machine. I'd add check under the engine tins for mouse nest or other crud blocking airflow over the engine.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:20 AM
Grand Member

Is the firewall intact and does it have the rubber around it? I agree with Jon that it is most likely a fuel issue. Another possibility given the the frame you provided is an overheating coil but those generally shut the tractor off completely.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Could be a valve sticking when the engine gets hot.

I had a 1000 that acted the same way. When the tractor was cooling down I could hear the valve pop back into place. I could start back up and run for a little bit after that.

Something to try that is very inexpensive to get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil. Add a heavy dose to the gas and the oil.

I did this on my 1000 and after about 2 tanks of gas, this problem went away. I mowed once a week with that tractor for another 8 years before I sold it and never had this issue again. From then on I always add a little bit to the gas and oil in all my Cubs. Saved me from tearing into the engine and doing a valve job.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Cub 1650 trouble

Guys, thanks so much for the advice.

To answer J-Mech: When I start the tractor everything sounds great. I engage the throttle into the F position and use it without any problems for about 20 minutes or so. Then, without any other indication, the tractor starts to bog or choke down to the point of wanting to shut off. However, if I move the throttle lever back down to Neutral quickly I can "save" it from shutting down. As the engine "recovers" and picks back up I then try to move forward, I can some times play with it enough to get the tractor to run for a few more minutes (around 10 minutes but with intermittent success of the engine working but then bogging down)... basically enough time to get it back into the garage.

I took the fuel lines off, looked clear/clean and the carburetor bowl off and that was clean as well. I filed the points down very very gently as I was told to be careful not to take too much off. I replaced the spring return for the brake/clutch after it snapped off. I honestly thought this was the problem because the throttle and clutch/brake lever are connected. I also replaced the spark plug, condenser and air filter. Those are all new. Still experiencing the same problem thought.

No recent engine work has been done. My close friend who has had the tractor for a few years said it never gave him this issue. HOWEVER, he did tell me it sat here and there as it was not his primary tractor.

I have not drained the fuel in the tank.. but I have gone through 2 tanks of gas since bringing the tractor home.

There are no nests restricting air flow. I'm not mechanic but would it be possible something is overheating? Why is it running without problems for as long as it does but then BOOM! Seems like something could be overheating.

If the points were "off" wouldn't I be experience immediate problems once the engine turned over?

thanks for the recent replies guys... still need your guidance.

Alex
Old 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Grand Member

Have you checked the gas cap to make sure the vents not plugged?
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 08-03-2017, 01:10 PM
Grand Member

I'd go with the MMO in the gas 1st off maybe 2oz/gal at least.
I mix 1/ox per gal for all my older Cubs and use non ethanol gas.
You can also include the MMO as a % part of an oil change according to the directions.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:58 PM

What type of ignition coil or coils does this model have?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapebygd View Post
Guys, thanks so much for the advice.
If the points were "off" wouldn't I be experience immediate problems once the engine turned over?
thanks for the recent replies guys... still need your guidance.
Alex
NO!!! because "turning over" means ONLY that.... no more. Whether it fires, or attempts to start, or not.
you can remove the carb, remove the points condenser and coil completely from the tractor. Take the head off too. Then hit the key. With all those parts gone, it is guaranteed not to start or run but the engine will still spin. It is "turning over".
It drives me nuts when people think that "turning over" somehow means it fires up and tries to start and run.