Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 05-21-2017, 03:52 PM
Grand Member

These earthway hand push seeders can be had for around $90. There's several videos on YouTube of them converted to sleeve hitch and 3 point both single and two row.

https://www.ruralking.com/earthway-p...FRZLDQodM0sCDA

https://youtu.be/Z4ySDiYt7ZY

This guy took it to the next level. to bad its green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlUhHASmeHw
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 05-21-2017, 10:36 PM

Thanks guys I'll look into that...would be great for wind breaks...I know j planted 60+ Austrian and white pines around here for that....not that I don't like using my 90-100yr old tile spades, but it can be a chore....sounds like a perfect job for one of the little ones to ride and plant!!!!

Anyways very cool find...bet it makes for a real nice looking food plot!!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
so we just kind of eat out of the garden while it's there. It is a total waste of money and time, but I enjoy it.

LMFAO, your blatant honesty is gut busting here. Have a mental picture.

Heres Jon, going to the work (fun) of putting in a massive garden. 1.5 - 2 months later, neighbor stops by, "nice garden Jon! That sweet corn must be 15' high!!"

Jon, "meh, its ok, we'll pick what we want for supper tonight, but were going to famous Daves tomorrow night. Probably should can some, but f*** it, I just do it for fun, probably just plow it under"

Neighbor

1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 05-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Banned

ALRIGHT!!! So, yesterday I finally got to use the planter. It's a good thing too, because it's raining AGAIN here today. This is about the wettest we've had it in the spring for a few years. Lots of people planted early, but we had a hail storm a couple weeks back and it absolutely demolished most of the gardens, if not all of them.

Ok, so back to the planter. So the first thing I did was to polish up the "shoe" and the knife. Used a flap disk on a grinder. Rough and rusty metal will build up dirt. Same as on a plow. You want the stuff shiny so dirt won't stick.

001.jpg002.jpg

Now I warned you guys about this earlier. Don't laugh, because it works perfectly! Just for the record, this isn't totally my idea. This is a very old idea. Back before planters and drills had markers, this set up was normal. We used something similar on one of our tractors on the farm. The guys I farm with said they still have the original set up they built for one of their drills.

Markers!! Just put the chain over the last row you planted. 30" every time!

003.jpg

Now, I just wanted to throw this pic in for guys who aren't familiar with planters. This is a view of the seed hopper with corn and I ran it by hand to load the plate. This IS NOT a "finger pickup" system as some people seem to think it is. This is a plate planter. The silver thing in the bottom with the "fingers" holding corn is a plate. As a note to all, the plate will grab more than one seed. It isn't a very accurate system. You have to find the "sweet spot" for speed. Too slow, and it will rake up massive amounts of seed and dump it down the tube. Too fast and it won't pick up seed well. I settled for a little on the slow side. Only because I was having trouble with the shoe doing it's job. More on that shortly...

004.jpg

Well, it didn't work as well as I had hoped, but that isn't all the planters fault. Here's something I'll just share right off with you guys. If your going to plant with one of these, you need to have a somewhat firm seed bed. That didn't really surprise me given it's a "knife" style furrow opener. (Not really a "rail" like the bigger planters used.) The skid shoe wouldn't ride on the loose soil left by the tiller. That coupled with the fact that the tractor was sinking in with the 6-12's on it, and I was left with rows in a furrow. I ended up having to use a rake to level it all back out by hand, otherwise when it rained I would have had a flooded furrow. (See below) On the right in the pic I had already leveled it back out. On the left is what it looked like after planing. I think you can make out what is wheel track and what is a row.

005.jpg

What I will do next time I use it, is run something over the garden to firm it up. Probably until I make something more suitable (like a set of rolling baskets or a cultimulcher) is just fill my lawn roller about half full and use it. I have a rotary hoe I use every 3 or 4 days after planting until the plants are large enough to cultivate so leaving it somewhat flat won't be an issue. The whole system would work a lot better if the planter had control arms and the tail wheel was rigid. The tail wheel can float, but the seed depth is dependent upon that shoe staying in contact with the soil. In the very loose tilled dirt, the shoe wanted to sink in and didn't float well. This is why that planters went to double disk openers with depth wheels instead of "rails" that they used to use. Much better seed depth control. I may do some more thinking and come up with a little different mount to the tractor too. I don't know yet. Probably going to leave an area of the garden unplanted for a while so I can play with different set ups.

All in all, I spent several hours playing with it. I had fun. I should have been farming, but took the day to do this and kill my grass. Here's a couple pics of and video's of the fun! I'll try some different things and update again when it dries out and play some more!

006.jpg

Tilling with my little redhead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpUkHsdpXeI

As a note, yes I was running faster than normal for tilling, but that gave me the perfect seed bed. I used a piece of #9 wire to hold the door just open on the tiller. With it shut all the way, it was leaving the fine dirt on top and when it rained and dried out, it left the ground extremely crusty and would dry with lots of cracks. The area of the garden I had tilled with the door open didn't do that. I wanted to try a different setting. I'll let you know how that works out also.

Planting. I kept stopping because I changed a setting and was fiddling with the depth. The speed I was running was actually a little too slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3Z84XYLHs
Old 05-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Grand Member

Cool info Jon. How about widening the shoe to be half as wide on each side so it will float more on top of the soil so it won't run so deep? Maybe tack on some "wings" to test? Glad you're working that 1050.
(2) Original, 100, 102, 124, 73, 800, #1 and #2 cart, brinly plows, disk, IH184, IH244, 1948 F Cub
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Thanks Mike!

I may try something like that. I thought about a set of wheels like a regular planter uses,,,,,,, but that will be a little difficult without raising the hopper. I don't know yet. I'll have to sit on a bucket and think about it a bit.

Yeah, I work the guts out of that 1050! The motor is super shot. It oil smokes like crazy! A #2 tiller is quite the load for it. It's not pulling that hard in the video because I wasn't running very deep. But I can almost kill it when I sock it in. But, I played with the governor and the RPM.... so, it will pull it.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Grand Member

Really good info Jon! Tiff and I enjoyed the vid with you and your daughter tilling.

Im going to hook up to our 1 row mc cormick and go patch in a few places where the planter plugged up. Might have to call you!!

Love the 2+ in the back ground!
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Depth adjustment

Jonathon,
There is no adjustment for depth using the "foot"? My 12MX has the ability for you to adjust the planting depth by raising and lowering the "foot" in reference to the "shoe" The "shoe" looks a lot like the one on my 12MX. All the Brinly planters were made by Cole. All the Covington plates are right handed. The normal Covington corn plate is a TP-525. It claims to be perfect sized for Silver Queen. I don't plant Silver Queen so I can't say. I have planted corn with my Brinly planter, but now use the 12MX behind my 332 John Deere. Set up right the 12MX plants a more uniform depth and has more consistent seed spacing. I cheat, I have a gauge wheel on my 12MX. I usually plant three different varieties of bi-color sweet corn. A 65-66 day variety, a 73-75 day variety (lately Ambrosia), and an 83-85 day variety. I plant them a one week intervals starting with the earliest maturing, then mid, then late. Gives me sweet corn over at least a month long period. I plant on 40 inch rows because my IH 244 Compact rear tires are on 40 inch centers. I made a real one row cultivator from a 3pt 4 row to go behind the IH. My early corn is in silk right now. My last name is Barker. I was born and raised on a farm in Eastern Iowa. I graduated from high school in 1971.
Bill
Old 05-24-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
Really good info Jon! Tiff and I enjoyed the vid with you and your daughter tilling.

Im going to hook up to our 1 row mc cormick and go patch in a few places where the planter plugged up. Might have to call you!!

Love the 2+ in the back ground!
She's a spitfire!! I am learning why redheads get the wrap they have!! Sheesh...

That 2X in the background is the guys I farm with. It's a 6788, and we (as in it was done in my shop) built the motor in it. It's a good running tractor! We have it set at about 175HP and it will pull right up with their 7250 Magnum MFWD! Here they were working all around me and I work for them. Heck of a day to pick to take off!! But, it worked out. I just came off my night shift and they really wanted to finish down here, so I took over at about midnight and ran until almost 2am finishing up.

You have my number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
Jonathon,
There is no adjustment for depth using the "foot"? My 12MX has the ability for you to adjust the planting depth by raising and lowering the "foot" in reference to the "shoe" The "shoe" looks a lot like the one on my 12MX. All the Brinly planters were made by Cole. All the Covington plates are right handed. The normal Covington corn plate is a TP-525. It claims to be perfect sized for Silver Queen. I don't plant Silver Queen so I can't say. I have planted corn with my Brinly planter, but now use the 12MX behind my 332 John Deere. Set up right the 12MX plants a more uniform depth and has more consistent seed spacing. I cheat, I have a gauge wheel on my 12MX. I usually plant three different varieties of bi-color sweet corn. A 65-66 day variety, a 73-75 day variety (lately Ambrosia), and an 83-85 day variety. I plant them a one week intervals starting with the earliest maturing, then mid, then late. Gives me sweet corn over at least a month long period. I plant on 40 inch rows because my IH 244 Compact rear tires are on 40 inch centers. I made a real one row cultivator from a 3pt 4 row to go behind the IH. My early corn is in silk right now. My last name is Barker. I was born and raised on a farm in Eastern Iowa. I graduated from high school in 1971.
Bill
Bill,
I see I misread your name. My bad.

Yes, you can adjust depth with the shoe. (What I'm calling a shoe. The flat plate on the bottom.) But it doesn't really do any good when its just digging in the dirt, lol. I was really looking at the parts for the Cole MX. It uses the same plate as mine. Mine has to be some kind of early version of the MX looking at the new ones.

I also have a 2 row IH cultivator. Just not a good tractor to put it on anymore. I may try and get my Lo-Boy on it again, but it's just a bit too tall. Plus, I was going to have to bump the hydraulic pressure up on it a bit. Not quite enough to pick it up. As in when the oil is cold, running WOT it will, but only once.

If your 244 has the bolt in centers, you can adjust the wheel spacing.

I'd like to see some pics of the depth wheel you put on your 12MX.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:54 PM

Default 12MX plates

The Cole 12MX plates are at least 8 1/2" outside with a 4 3/8" center drive. If you were using a Covington TP series plate for your corn then the 12MX plates will be too big. The 12MX are too big for my Brinly. I believe I have finally got all the different corn plates for the 12MX. If you are looking for 12MX plates stay away from the Chinese knockoffs. They are prone to binding and have irregular pockets. Don't ask how I know! The 244 has only two wheel settings. With a loader on it I prefer to have them in the wider setting. Plus the difference is not enough. I have a set of rims off a 254 that has more adjustments and will allow me to go from 9.5x24 to 11.2x24. Filled with fluid the 11.2s will give me more traction and weight on the rear. I need to go through my Brinly plates and get rid of my duplicates. I have a pair of John Deere 51 Unit Planters on a toolbar I plant sorghum and sunflowers in the food plots. They are set to 30" rows and work fine behind the 244. I had the same problem with the 12MX digging in on my 332 until I put the gauge wheel on it. I will try to get some pictures resized and posted this weekend, Just be aware the tractor will be green.
Bill