Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Haven't we covered this process already? Like beat it to death? It's a lock collar. It's the same as the other two you took off. You have 3 more to remove after this one. Do we need to go through it each time?
Ahhhhh..... nothing like feeling welcome.

You're a moderator?
Old 05-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
Ahhhhh..... nothing like feeling welcome.
I tell it like it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nra1ifer View Post
You're a moderator?
Have been for several years now. Where have you been?

If you would like to walk the OP through the process we already walked him through, go right ahead. But it's already been covered, and he has removed 2 already. Nothing new you're going to add. Loosen the set screw, polish the shaft, soak it in penetrating oil, drive the lock collar opposite direction of shaft rotation to unlock it. If that doesn't work, try the other way. If that doesn't work, cut it off. Same process for all 6 collars. What is there to go over???
Old 05-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Grand Member

Let me just add (and maybe muddy the waters)
There are self aligning bearings that do not have the eccentric locking collar.
They look like any other collar with a set screw or two, but made part of the bearing inner race.
USUALLY those style don't have any blind drilled holes for a spanner wrench (where most just use a punch)
Someone over the years might have substituted a non locking collar, as they can be used successfully.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Let me just add (and maybe muddy the waters)
There are self aligning bearings that do not have the eccentric locking collar.
They look like any other collar with a set screw or two, but made part of the bearing inner race.
USUALLY those style don't have any blind drilled holes for a spanner wrench (where most just use a punch)
Someone over the years might have substituted a non locking collar, as they can be used successfully.
George!! Don't confuse the guy!!!

I'm sure it's the original style bearing with a lock collar. I'm sure it's the original bearing period.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 PM

Finally got the lock collar off! The previous owner must have taken it off at one point and also struggled because the pin hole was mutilated...but after soaking in penetration oil a little longer it finally moved. Now the case is open! From what I can tell, the reason why it ceased up was because one of the lock collars on the tine shaft was loose. This caused the gear to move and pinch the chain between the gear and casing. Maybe this is not the cause, but now that I have it open I can get the chain on right and put it back together!
IMG_8211.jpg

IMG_8212.jpg

IMG_8213.jpg

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8214.jpg
Old 05-17-2017, 08:26 PM
Administrator

You need a new sprocket, the teeth are shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (50.7 KB, 74 views)
BX2670 with FEL
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
From what I can tell, the reason why it ceased up was because one of the lock collars on the tine shaft was loose. This caused the gear to move and pinch the chain between the gear and casing. Maybe this is not the cause,
That cannot be the case. The tine shaft is a shaft. One shaft. If one lock collar was tight, the shaft can't move. So.... no. Looks like everything was just wore out. (More below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrichards View Post
but now that I have it open I can get the chain on right and put it back together!
No, your not done yet. You have 3 more bearings to remove, and you need to replace the sprocket that Sam pointed out. Plus, you will need new chains, as the old ones will be worn and stretched. With that worn out sprocket, the chain likely got mangled when it was trying to hop over it. You also need to remove the main drive sprocket and see if that pin is broken. You're far from ready to go back together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
You need a new sprocket, the teeth are shot.
Plus all the other aforementioned parts.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Grand Member

Good grief, you need a parts tiller!
Mine was not even close to being that bad, the tines were all shot and I doubt if it had EVER been apart.

Again, good luck!!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finsruskw View Post
Good grief, you need a parts tiller!
Mine was not even close to being that bad, the tines were all shot and I doubt if it had EVER been apart.

Again, good luck!!

I don't think the OP's has ever been apart either.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Grand Member

Copy that!!
Mine did have the remnants of grease in it yet.
Was surprised how much the new chains maid in the tightness of the whole unit, once adjusted to the spec's in the manual for a new chain installation that is.