Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 05-02-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin122 View Post
You guys crack me up - thanks for the humor!

o---o I think its about time you start your disking adventure! Go slow and have fun, after all its seat time on your Cub Cadet, disc it straight with the plow furrows, at an angle, at another angle, and in both directions. Tomorrow do the same, maybe the same for the next couple days too.

True story - a few years ago I plowed my sod for a garden patch, 1st gear with my 122 and I either could no keep the front end on the ground or I spun out - so I hooked another cub to the 122 via a chain and my son helped me. The neighbor saw me as asked if I'd plow a spot for him, same hard sod plowing issue. And my results looked like yours or worse for both mine and his. After disking mine a couple times I brought out the tiller and proceeded to have a beautiful garden spot. My neighbors was not so nice, the soil was not the same just a few hundred feet or yards away from mine. I was amazed at how hard his soil worked up - and mine was definitely not easy. The next year I did the same plus I plowed, disked and roto-tilled another neighbors, found many rocks at this new spot and it was another not so fun experience. At a 4th of July party she proceeded to tell me how crappy her garden was and it was my fault - I've never plowed a neighbors garden since...

Point of my story is what woks for one might not work so well for others.

FYI - your 10.5 AGs are really nice - I still have my money back guarantee for ya, lol Oh - and you have 4 more inches of flotation for disking with these 10.5s versus 8.5s
I used the disc the other day with about 180 pounds on it and it did quite well. After a few days I'll try it some more, probably with a little less weight. And yes the Ags are very nice, I love them, and it's really amazing the difference they make compared to the turf tires. I filled them the other day and went from 40 pounds before to 98 pounds after, so I'm pretty happy with that.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:09 AM

I also have a Brinly 7 shank cultivator. What is the intended purpose of the cultivator? What's it supposed to do, or when is it to be used?

I've used it before to break up some topsoil to be able to level it with my blade, but I have no idea the intended use.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by o---o View Post
I also have a Brinly 7 shank cultivator. What is the intended purpose of the cultivator? What's it supposed to do, or when is it to be used?

I've used it before to break up some topsoil to be able to level it with my blade, but I have no idea the intended use.

It's a cultivator. You use it after the crop comes up. You straddle the row of (corn, beans...whatever) and feed the crop through the center of the cultivator. It plows on both sides.

Here:
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33055
Old 05-03-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
It's a cultivator. You use it after the crop comes up. You straddle the row of (corn, beans...whatever) and feed the crop through the center of the cultivator. It plows on both sides.

Here:
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33055
Ok so it works just like the big ones. The one I used as a kid was hydraulically controlled and adjusted itself automatically so the corn would never get knocked down.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by o---o View Post
Ok so it works just like the big ones. The one I used as a kid was hydraulically controlled and adjusted itself automatically so the corn would never get knocked down.
You ran a guidance system..... cheater.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
You ran a guidance system..... cheater.
Yes, and it was awesome! As long as the tires didn't run over the corn, the cultivator was able to compensate enough to not knock it down.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:00 AM

When cultivating - straddle the rows do not look back. For my sweet corn I watch the hood emblem on my 122.

On our farm we had a big 4 row cultivator - all I did was watch the corn row, guiding it under the one adjusting nut on the right side of the wide front Oliver 1755. Looking back was a disaster wiping out at least 4 rows of corn rather quickly. We farmed hills, swamp land and everything in between.

I'm glad to see you like the AG tires!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Banned

I look back when cultivating. If you didn't, how would you know if you need to adjust the cultivator, or if something wasn't right and you were taking out rows??? If your in heavy grass, it might plug, or a shovel fall off..... You need to watch your equipment. Looking straight ahead and never back is a good way to tear up equipment or crops.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM

OK, maybe step the when you look back.

I think when I plow I'm looking back as much or more than looking forward.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:26 PM

Lord have mercy plow in the fall if your not planting winter cover crops which most gardners dont the benefit of this is it will freeze and thaw with the temperature changes through winter months making the ground crumblely then in the spring 90% of the time you just disk then layoff your planting rows raised on a N.C. farm my grandfather taught me this as a young boy and this has worked successfully for me every year I'm 55 now