Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 05-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk View Post
Question #7 This information is from Kohler FAQ's page
https://power.kohler.com/na-en/engines/faqs
deals with fuel cleaners. sea foam is a cleaner.

Products like sea foam are destroying your carbs.

I tried sea foam several times. The engines were down on power that had sea foam in it.

It's your engine.......your choice to use this kind of junk.
OK, not arguing, just asking what happened to your stuff? Were you using it regularly or something? I've only used it as a 1 shot/tank treatment. Not trying to derail the thread, just like learning.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Grand Member

Thanks for the help. I'm just going to leave it alone for now, and if I have any more problems, I will take it apart and clean it properly.
38" LT mower deck, 4 42" triangle mower decks, 2 44A mower decks, 2 50C mower decks, 42” GT deck, 3 42" snow/dirt blades, 42" landscape rake, #4 cart
Old 05-13-2018, 09:20 AM

Ive used seafoam in all small engines for years, couple oz in every 5 gal can of gas I bring home. Modern ethanol fuel has plenty of additives in it already and when it evaporates it leaves a white powder residue in the carb that can block small vents, jets and passages in the carb, fuel additives such as Seafoam or Stabil, etc, etc, help prevent such problems.
CCC 12.5 w/deck
Plus 35 or so non IH tractors
Old 05-13-2018, 09:36 AM
Grand Member

On the Seafoam debate, since my Original up until now, I've never had to use it in any of my IH Cub Cadets. NEVER. I've always kept what I could clean inside the carb, clean air filters, and especially a clean fuel tank. Every other year, I remove the head, true it up, clean the combustion chamber, and install a new head gasket.

So like wise, I would like to learn how you guy's carbs are getting so cruddy. It would seem to me, that if a carb is getting so dirty that you need this sea stuff, then you need to change your practices. I've always got good results when using Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel supply.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM

Is Marvel not simply another fuel additive intended to maintain a clean fuel system.... same thing differant label afaic.

Take an engine apart every two years just to clean inside them.... thats not gonna happen here.

I drag home 30-40 non-running GTs/LTs every year and probably 60% need little more than a carb cleaning to get them running, which I suspect is mostly due to residue left behind from evaporated pump gas without any preventive additives such as Seafoam, Stabil...... or whatever your personal choice may be.
CCC 12.5 w/deck
Plus 35 or so non IH tractors
Old 05-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hall View Post
OK, not arguing, just asking what happened to your stuff? Were you using it regularly or something? I've only used it as a 1 shot/tank treatment. Not trying to derail the thread, just like learning.
I mix the recommend amount in a 5 gallon fuel container. I went to a plow day and tried the mixture. Both tractors (IH Cub Cadet 149 and 100) act like they had no power. 100 would die. I drained the fuel and tried non sea foam gas.....both ran great.

I use plow days to test different things. Fuel is one thing I test.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncub7172 View Post
So like wise, I would like to learn how you guy's carbs are getting so cruddy. It would seem to me, that if a carb is getting so dirty that you need this sea stuff, then you need to change your practices. I've always got good results when using Marvel Mystery Oil to the fuel supply.
Same here. I see too many on sites like this that are too lazy to practice good fuel habits like turning the fuel off at the tank and letting the carb run dry.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanceskene View Post

Modern ethanol fuel has plenty of additives in it already and when it evaporates it leaves a white powder residue in the carb that can block small vents, jets and passages in the carb, fuel additives such as Seafoam or Stabil, etc, etc, help prevent such problems.
sea foam is a cleaner. Stabil is a fuel stabilizer.....big difference.

All gas has an additive package. Odds are the addition of ethanol is the only difference. A good fuel storage practice will eliminate problems like you are talking about.

I been using E-10 with no problems for 16 years.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Dale, Sea Foam is for cleaning. Biggest thing is decarboning. Yes, the engine will have reduced power on it. I'm not surprised they ran bad with Sea Foam in the tank.

I used to use it in the shop. Mostly on engines that had set, or I knew were in fact carboned up. If you read the can, it tells how to do an intake manifold flood with it. It does work. Make sure to heed the part about "a well ventilated area". Thats not a joke!!! Don't do it inside at all!

The newer engines with plastic manifold would carbon so bad they wouldn't run well. I've seen carbon build up in them bad enough they would run with the fuel lines unhooked from the fuel rail. Carbon soaked up the gas.

On small engines, I'd only use it if I had a sticky valve, or stuck rings. But I'd run it in the oil, and gas.... but only maybe a tank of gas. If it helps, great. If it doesnt, tear it down.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncub7172 View Post
On the Seafoam debate, since my Original up until now, I've never had to use it in any of my IH Cub Cadets. NEVER. I've always kept what I could clean inside the carb, clean air filters, and especially a clean fuel tank. Every other year, I remove the head, true it up, clean the combustion chamber, and install a new head gasket.

Agree John ! 40+ years of running these never had a fuel problem or a carboned up head, little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in my gas can and good refueling habits ! In the winter months when I'm not buying much gas to plow snow I add stabilizer to my 5 gallon can, sometimes I have the same gas I purchased for the last mowing of fall use it all winter and start mowing come spring with no issues. I also shut the fuel valve and run the carb dry if I know it's going to be sitting awhile before the next use.