Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 11:24 AM

Geez Todd I'm glad to hear that you are alright.

I think IH calls those "second" nuts "Gripco" nuts. I have a few of them on my 95 that I'm rebuilding and I replaced them all with nylon nuts and locktite. There isn't much vibration in that machine though. Anything on the 149 and I will absolutely use NEW Gripco nuts after seeing all the damage that can happen. Once used Gripco's may feel like their still biting, but for a few dollars, new ones will sure save a lot of grief and potential damage.

Your heart's done pounding and is just pumping. Tomorrow is Tuesday. You'll get her back to new.

Everyone have a great Fourth.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Grand Member

zippy, thank you for documenting your close call for us. Hope we all learn from it!

Although I have never done it, I had pondered with the idea of fabbing in a bracket across the frame and mounting a pillow block bearing (such as pictured) on the driveshaft as rearward as room would allow, to reduce strain on the rag joint. Now I'm thinking that had something like this been in place, it would not have prevented zippy's nut from coming off (no pun intended) but it may have reduced some of the damage. Has anyone done this or have opinions about it

(p.s. zippy I hope I'm not hijacking your thread but this seems to fit the topic)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4061.jpg (19.1 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman View Post
zippy, thank you for documenting your close call for us. Hope we all learn from it!

Although I have never done it, I had pondered with the idea of fabbing in a bracket across the frame and mounting a pillow block bearing (such as pictured) on the driveshaft as rearward as room would allow, to reduce strain on the rag joint. Now I'm thinking that had something like this been in place, it would not have prevented zippy's nut from coming off (no pun intended) but it may have reduced some of the damage. Has anyone done this or have opinions about it

(p.s. zippy I hope I'm not hijacking your thread but this seems to fit the topic)
I've often thought of doing the same but never followed through.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Banned

So..... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this failure.

The driveshaft fits into a bearing on both ends. One on the engine side, one in the drive flange on the trans. So, with one bolt missing, the other bolt should still have kept the flange from moving back to let the shaft out of the bearing. While it would have caused a vibration, I don't understand how it came out of the bearing. Unless a bearing was missing, or the shaft was too short, how did it get out of the bearing? It shouldn't have been able to move out of it.

I see the damage, I just don't understand how the shaft got out of the bearings with only losing one bolt. Doesn't make any sense to me. Should have just started vibrating, not came clear out.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
Yeah, it made some horrific racket, even this half deaf guy thought was loud. The kids were back at the house, and I was on the end of the driveway, some 360 ft. away, and they all heard it let go.
The tunnel has a bend in it. Can't even begin to imagine if that weren't there. It happened/let go so fast. Snubbed the tractor on the spot Johnny...
I wasn't cutting grass, was pulling my roller packing fresh ground we seeded down with grass, so wasn't WOT. Prolly, could have been worst.

This style (first picture) is what came loose, likely cause it was used a time or three. It's called a Two-way reversible lock nut. And the second picture is what I "always" use. Prevailing torque lock nut.
Thanks for the "glad you weren't hurt" wishes. I would add, never under any circumstances should anyone think about operating one of these machines, even for "just a second" without that tunnel cover on. I saw, and felt first hand, and it wouldn't be good.

This makes me wonder... what if one lets go on one of the tractors with a plastic tunnel cover, like a 1641.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post

The driveshaft fits into a bearing on both ends. One on the engine side, one in the drive flange on the trans. So, with one bolt missing, the other bolt should still have kept the flange from moving back to let the shaft out of the bearing. While it would have caused a vibration, I don't understand how it came out of the bearing. Unless a bearing was missing, or the shaft was too short, how did it get out of the bearing? It shouldn't have been able to move out of it.

I see the damage, I just don't understand how the shaft got out of the bearings with only losing one bolt. Doesn't make any sense to me. Should have just started vibrating, not came clear out.
Same here. It looks to me like the trans input shaft broke. Where did the other coupling go?

Glad you're alright Todd!

1993 Cub Cadet 2064
1988 Cub Cadet 2072
1980 IH Cub Cadet 782 w/CH20
1966 IH Cub Cadet 102 w/K301
1961 IH Cub Cadet O
1967 IH Cub Cadet 102 & 122

JD 2155 w/ 175 loader
Old 07-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
Dang Todd, that SOB tore some chit up! No one got hurt, that's the main thing. Good thing to have a nice backup grass cutter. Did it just grenade all at once?

I do have a question about what type of nuts to use. I use the grade 5 nylon lock nuts and grade 8 bolts from TSC and I think I put a dab of blue Loctite on them. Is it okay to use them in that application? Here is what mine look like.

Attachment 86075 Attachment 86076
Todd,

Don't mean to hijack this thread.. but where did you get that fan on your 982? Looks alot better than the stock crap that cub cadet sells!

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 07-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post

I was wondering if the shaft was too short? When mine came out years ago it was because the engine shifted forward and let the shaft come out of the rear coupler...

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 07-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewcub View Post
Same here. It looks to me like the trans input shaft broke. Where did the other coupling go?

Glad you're alright Todd!
I saw that too Travis. I am wondering if the shaft broke first, or after the driveshaft let go.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynjeep View Post
I was wondering if the shaft was too short? When mine came out years ago it was because the engine shifted forward and let the shaft come out of the rear coupler...
I'm also wondering if the shaft was too short.

I just don't think it should have come out of the bearings even if it did lose a bolt. I'm not just too certain I haven't found bolts missing on shafts before that were still running.... It seems like I have, but can't say for sure.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Jay, that is the fan that was on the shaft when I got it. I have another that looks the same also.