Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 01-15-2018, 11:39 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
Mechanical regulators/starter generators work quite a bit differently than a regular rectifier situation you’ll find on modern engines. You get dc voltage directly from the starter generator, and the regulator regulates how much voltage and current by controlling the grounding of the field coil. It also stops battery voltage from feeding back into the starter/generator.

It’s a whole different process than rectifying ac from a stator/alternator type situation.
I have an IH Cub Cadet 86 that is running a stator/alternator type system.

Why spend $165 as Oak's post stated when the old voltage regulator system works ?????

Maybe I'm not understanding this

My biggest concern is how well the Clover solid state system holds up under engine vibrations and wet conditions.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:49 AM
Administrator

That Clover DR-110 looked very interesting to me. It looked like a quality built product. It also looked like it would work on our Cub Cadets quite well. It had me up until I seen the price.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 01-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Thanks everyone for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
A solid state rectifier/regulator will not work on a generator. You have to use a mechanical regulator. They last 40 years anyway, so it's not like they are a problem.

Aren't you a mechanic?.......
You should know that.

Mechanical regulators and generators were a little before my time
Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
That Clover DR-110 looked very interesting to me. It looked like a quality built product. It also looked like it would work on our Cub Cadets quite well. It had me up until I seen the price.
It looks like an outstanding product to me when you consider all the features. I'm sure that if they brought the price price down to something reasonable they could sell a ton of 'em.

But not to worry, I'd bet that as we speak, the Chinese are already duplicating them and they will be appearing soon at an eBay near you. (for $12.95 and free shipping)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 AM
Grand Member

That solid state regulator is nothing new.
Been something like that produced 50 years ago.
Back when we went to alternators on vehicles from generator systems,
approximately in 1963.
the Alternator changed the produced AC current, to DC in the alternator with usually a 6 diode rectifier.

Then externally they had the familiar regulator box that looked much the same
for generators or alternators ,(like cub cadet looked)
Late 60's early 70's, Ford ( Motorcraft) produced a solid state regulator replacement "kit"
( No internal coils or points to arc, wear out or adjust.)
It was a direct replacement, fitting the old regulator bolt mounting pattern.
it did come with a short plug-in adapter harness.
The regulator cover was only maybe 1" high, versus the near 4" of a conventional coil/points mechanical regulator.
in the early 70's, most went to internal voltage regulators.
So, regulating DC current with a solid state regulator is nothing new whether it is a rectified alternator producing DC or a DC generator/starter like cub cadet, and many others.
Apologies to all who already know this.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bedell View Post
I like it too.
I’m not going to go buy a bunch of them and start replacing old ones but I might try one on my Fcub.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 AM

There are a bunch of different ones out there. I think the clover ones are on the higher end. Just google solid state dynamo regulator. Some just regulate voltage and not current. Some do both. Looks like you could have something that would work on a Cub for less than $100, but might not look factory or be adjustable like the fancy Clover one.

George, correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t alternator regulators just regulate voltage and not current since alternators are basically self regulating when it comes to current?
Old 01-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
That solid state regulator is nothing new.
Been something like that produced 50 years ago.
Back when we went to alternators on vehicles from generator systems,
approximately in 1963.
the Alternator changed the produced AC current, to DC in the alternator with usually a 6 diode rectifier.

Then externally they had the familiar regulator box that looked much the same
for generators or alternators ,(like cub cadet looked)
Late 60's early 70's, Ford ( Motorcraft) produced a solid state regulator replacement "kit"
( No internal coils or points to arc, wear our or adjust.)
It was a direct replacement, fitting the old regulator bolt mounting pattern.
it did come with a short plug-in adapter harness.
The regulator cover was only maybe 1" high, versus the near 4" of a conventional coil/points mechanical regulator.
in the early 70's, most went to internal voltage regulators.
So, regulating DC current with a solid state regulator is nothing new whether it is a rectified alternator producing DC or a DC generator/starter like cub cadet, and many others.
Apologies to all who already know this.
Agreed, nothing new about the concept, but the beauty of the Clover unit is that it is a direct replacement. Old one out, new one in and go mowin'.

The regulator(s) you are referring to are easily available and actually cheap. Now you've got me thinking about doing some electrical experimenting.
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...=1516111374216
Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompers View Post
There are a bunch of different ones out there. I think the clover ones are on the higher end. Just google solid state dynamo regulator. Some just regulate voltage and not current. Some do both. Looks like you could have something that would work on a Cub for less than $100, but might not look factory or be adjustable like the fancy Clover one.

George, correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t alternator regulators just regulate voltage and not current since alternators are basically self regulating when it comes to current?
Never thought about doing both, but the output is dependent on load up to the rating of the Alt. so I think they do both.
We used to build alternators but not install the rect. and build a 110V.AC output.
Some Lincoln's had a 110V rear window defogger, so they actually had 2 alternators mounted on the engine.
I don't remember if they went into production but we built a run of prototypes.
They had to somehow control the voltage, as it is linear to rpm's.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Never thought about doing both, but the output is dependent on load up to the rating of the Alt. so I think they do both.
We used to build alternators but not install the rect. and build a 110V.AC output.
Some Lincoln's had a 110V rear window defogger, so they actually had 2 alternators mounted on the engine.
I don't remember if they went into production but we built a run of prototypes.
They had to somehow control the voltage, as it is linear to rpm's.
Mechanical ones control the dynamo fields based on both voltage and current, which is why they have 3 coils (cut out, voltage and current) but i thought alternators just do it based on voltage, increasing or decreasing field current flow until the voltage reaches the designed level. Obviously the current influences the voltage at a given rpm, so I guess it sort of does both, but it just indirectly has control over the current up to the rated load of the alternator.