Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 PM
Grand Member

You didn't mention if the driveway was gravel or blacktop. You'll be pushing harder on gravel...
I used to have a push blade, and thrower on lawn tractors, when I first got into the "hobby". They did the job, BUT have more limitations than a GT (Garden Tractor)
I'll help you spend your money. Get yourself a storage unit for the lawn tractor to sit in the winter months, and get an older GT for snow removal. And that can sit in your garage through the winter, ready for snow removal...
I know you didn't ask for opinions or alternatives, but I'm thinking out loud like always...

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
You didn't mention if the driveway was gravel or blacktop. You'll be pushing harder on gravel...
I used to have a push blade, and thrower on lawn tractors, when I first got into the "hobby". They did the job, BUT have more limitations than a GT (Garden Tractor)
I'll help you spend your money. Get yourself a storage unit for the lawn tractor to sit in the winter months, and get an older GT for snow removal. And that can sit in your garage through the winter, ready for snow removal...
I know you didn't ask for opinions or alternatives, but I'm thinking out loud like always...
I appreciate all the thoughts and input! If money was no issue your scenario sounds like best case! I think I may still go with a two-stage snowblower instead. I know the XT1 is the “base” model, But I hope with keeping up with regular maintenance for it to last a few years at least. I changed the oil and filter as recommended after the first 10 hours, and I’ll be sticking to the schedule for everything else in the future.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnone View Post
I appreciate all the thoughts and input! If money was no issue your scenario sounds like best case! I think I may still go with a two-stage snowblower instead. I know the XT1 is the “base” model, But I hope with keeping up with regular maintenance for it to last a few years at least. I changed the oil and filter as recommended after the first 10 hours, and I’ll be sticking to the schedule for everything else in the future.

You’ll probably be happier with that in the long run. Only downside is having more engines to maintain. But it’ll probably throw snow a lot further, an probably last longer.

The XT1 will do a fine job of mowing your lawn. Like most things these days, they just aren’t built very heavy.

Then again, a lot of these old cubs cost 10-12k in today’s dollars when they were new. Like most things, you got what you paid for. A lot of them are still running just as good as new 50 years later.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:35 PM
Grand Member

Do you have blacktop or gravel? On a nice smooth blacktop driveway it will be fine, if you have gravel I would just take it easy, I've seen people bend the frames on the tractor because the plow dug in on gravel while going fast.
1211 Dual Stick
Pap's 100 restoration thread - http://onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47965
Old 12-27-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompers View Post

You’ll probably be happier with that in the long run. Only downside is having more engines to maintain. But it’ll probably throw snow a lot further, an probably last longer.

The XT1 will do a fine job of mowing your lawn. Like most things these days, they just aren’t built very heavy.

Then again, a lot of these old cubs cost 10-12k in today’s dollars when they were new. Like most things, you got what you paid for. A lot of them are still running just as good as new 50 years later.
Right on. The few times I got to cut with it it did a great job and was really enjoyable. I also mulched the hell out of some leaves. It seems to do those things just fine so I can’t complain.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
Do you have blacktop or gravel? On a nice smooth blacktop driveway it will be fine, if you have gravel I would just take it easy, I've seen people bend the frames on the tractor because the plow dug in on gravel while going fast.
Good point and questions. It’s a blacktop but it really needs to be repaired. There are a good amount of spots where I could potentially have some problems like you mention. Unfortunately we just put a new roof on and had floors resurfaced and half the house painted, so the driveway will be next year. The joys of home ownership!
Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnone View Post
I know they sell a kit for it, and I know people do it, but how much wear and tear does it really put on the engine / trans? I have a new XT1 with about 10 hrs on it, and I’m debating on getting what I need to plow with the Cub or just buying a two stage snow blower. I have about 100 ft of driveway that is at 30 degrees and then maybe another 100 feet of loop, and then probably around another 40x40 section to clear. Thoughts? Sorry if this is a real amateur question but this is the first tractor I’ve ever owned and I want to take care of it.
As quite a few others have said, weight is your friend. I'm running a snow blower on the front of our xt1, and the more weight I put on the back, the better it goes. I actually just loaded the tires, we'll see how it does next time it snows here.
Also, I think you could be overestimating the slope of your driveway a bit. A 30 degree angle would make it somewhere around a 60% grade!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
I talked to a couple of dealers about the differences between the xt1 and xt2 before buying, according to both of them they use all the same parts right down to the frame. The only real difference is the type of bearings used in the front wheels, everything else that the xt2 has is an option on the xt1. My point is I'm not sure why people think of them as a mower that won't last, they should last just as long as any other.
The point is this.. They are lawn mowers. NOT garden tractors. They are not built the same and are not meant to perform as a garden tractor will. Anything you use it for besides cutting grass will likely shorten its already short life span. Not lasting or short life span as discussed here is in reference to and when comparing to a true GT. The XT1 and XT2 will have similar life span of any other MTD product of like size.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
I talked to a couple of dealers about the differences between the xt1 and xt2 before buying, according to both of them they use all the same parts right down to the frame. The only real difference is the type of bearings used in the front wheels, everything else that the xt2 has is an option on the xt1. My point is I'm not sure why people think of them as a mower that won't last, they should last just as long as any other.
How many Craftsman LT's do you see that are 40 plus years old still doing the job???? Should is a BIG statement there....
Old 02-12-2019, 07:23 AM

Not sure how this thread got resurrected, but I own an XT1 and I would be EXTREMELY hesitant to do anything with it except cut grass.