Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Rear Engine Rider & ZTR (RER)

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Default Cadet Model 60

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to Cub Cadet and also to restoring such things. I like the idea of restoring, own many of the tools, but lack the time to do so.

I feel I got lucky to be introduced to the sect by coming across, randomly, a Cadet Model 60 that the kids and I quickly named The Little Yeller Feller.

I passed it by the first day I saw it on Craigslist thinking it was absurd looking, but then a vision came to me in the night that it was actually really cool.

Anyway the Yeller Feller wasn't beat up, apparently was barn stored for 30 years or so. The piston is stuck but the cylinder looks smooth, and every part seems to be there.

The kids and I plan restore it with a full dis-assembly, media blast the rusties, and paint all that needs to be. Restore the color on the fiberglass and so on. The only fiberglass damage I see is front left corner had a collision with something, but still quite minor.

I'll post what pictures I can for now, and we plan to take pictures the whole process.

Current issues with dis-assembly is how to remove the mower deck height adjustment handle. The service book I found here or the other place seems to imply the rubber grip comes off and then there is a retainer inside the tube. I'm looking for opinions about how to get the rubber off if it's ideal to retain it. If the majority says to cut it off, I will.

Also we're working on removing the steering wheel / column. I found here or there a post about there being a roll pin up top in addition to the bolt and nut down lower. Both are completely rust and stuck. The bolt head has now been sheared off and I'm working on drilling it out. No luck with a fast drill and bit; with good reason because I have now realized that slow, cool, lubricated is the key

All advice is appreciated although until I get through this experience I'll have none of my own to offer.

Thank you,

PF

Old 09-25-2014, 12:35 AM
Grand Member

Welcome to OCC great project.
I picked up a 85 awhile back, just cause I think their different, in a weird way
Haven't dug into it yet, so sorry I'm of no help. I picked up a service manual off evil-pay, haven't studied it either.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:32 PM

Cool Ideas?

Anyone have ideas on the following from my original too long posting?

"Current issues with dis-assembly is how to remove the mower deck height adjustment handle. The service book I found here or the other place seems to imply the rubber grip comes off and then there is a retainer inside the tube. I'm looking for opinions about how to get the rubber off if it's ideal to retain it. If the majority says to cut it off, I will."

Franks.
And beans.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 AM
Grand Member

I don't think many here have experience with that model. I think cutting it off would be a last resort. Are there any buttons/releases sticking out the grip that can be removed first? I would think the grip should then just slide off. Its been on there for 40 years so it may need some help. Maybe a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun might soften and expand it to help is slide. Some close up pics may help us too.

Bill
Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 PM

Default Cadet Model 60 deck height adjustment

Nothing sticking out. Just a rubbery slide on handle cover. I just hate to lose any original part at this point.

I've got 85 pictures of what I thought was everything but in classic fashion I don't have one of that.

Too late tonight to get but I'll try a bit of heat and see what happens.

I agree there's probably not a lot of people with experience on this one.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PF
Old 09-29-2014, 11:25 PM
Grand Member

Those rubber covers get rock hard over time. Yes I would think heat gun or even a hair drier may heat it up enough to get it moving.

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:17 PM

As far as I know, the rubber handle on the implement lift lever will slide right off with a little persuasion, usually some heat or a really tight "grip and twist" motion. I have a model 60 and mine comes right off from being worn. Then yes, there should be a bolt underneath the grip that will allow you to remove the outside portion of the handle and the spring.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:51 PM

Default Model 60 Resoration Progress Report

Thanks for the ideas about heat to get the handle off. Haven't tried it yet, but we will soon. My 13 year old is really into working on this thing, as am I with him.
We hope to be riding it all around, maybe even mowing with it next spring.

Currently we're stuck on the removal of the steering column due to forty years of crust. We've been drilling out the bolt with the bits we have around. Started small, went big too soon, went back to small, broke a few off but not in. Then today broke one off in the bolt, got it out then broke another one in the hole that we didn't get out. We were less than 1/4" away from the other end too.

So we started small from the other side, came in contact with the broken bit and stopped after spending a few minutes trying to tap the broken bit out without any luck.

So for the looks, here's a couple more pictures. One of the unremarkable stuck rubber handle, and another of the drilling progress.

I've read every single post that Google found with Cadet 60 or Cadet Model 60 or IH Cadet 60 and so on, it seems there's only about 10 people claiming to have one; but that's just the people interested in posting about it.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Do you have pictures of yours that you can share? Did you restore it?
What kind of value does it have with you? I know there's no blue book for them, but what is it worth to you?
For me, because we like it so much I think I'd think twice about even a thousand dollars even in the unrestored condition its in.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:04 PM

I have one that had been grown over in a bush for I don't know how long.

Haven't started on it yet but had to have it as i'd never seen one before.