Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Get To Know The Members

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Default My First Cub Cadet, recycled hand-me-down

I am now the proud owner of a 1969 or 1970 Cub Cadet 126. I am 47 years old and this is my 2nd time around in life with the very same tractor.

Back in 1975, my folks owned nearly 6 acres of land with our home and barn smack in the middle. The angst of mowing this acreage was bestowed upon me. Thank god dad brought home a used yellow and white tractor. It was a Cub Cadet 126. Me being a mere 12 year old, I knew nothing about this tractor except that I hated everything to do with it. It meant only one thing. Mowing our 6 acres in Eden, NY every weekend. I eventually ran it without any oil and blew it up. To this day, I do not know if it was intentional or an accident. Dad made me mow with a push mower until he rebuilt it, just for my punishment. I guess I deserved that.

Many years later, mom and dad moved to Avon Park, Fl. I live in St Pete. After about 15 years of comming to Florida in the winter and many trips hauling dads "treasures" from NY, that cub cadet eventually ended up parked in a thicket of brush behind their Florida home. Dad had since purchased a newer Cub and now "Old Smokey" as they called it only got started perhaps once every few years.

I live in a residental area with alley access and have aquired the gene from dad to have lots of toys. My boat and travel trailer did not easily maneuver in my driveway with my 1988 Oldsmobile Custom cruiser station wagon. I called dad and asked him if Old Smokey was available. Dad gave him to me and I schlepped him to this side of Florida.

After a day of fiddling with gas lines and electrical stuff, Old Smokey is now running as good as new and I am proud to have this part of american history as well as family heirloom sitting in my driveway. He tows the camper and boat effortlessly.

Perhaps one day I may drive him to the corner pub for a beer! I am known for stuff like that.

Thank you for allowing me to share my story.

Mark in St Petersburg, Fl
Old 05-21-2010, 03:59 PM

First off. Welcome from one new guy to another.

Now I can only say one thing. We want Pics. :P:P:P

It's nice to have child-hood memories, I'm still making mine.

Thanks
Cody
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Sminkey

Default Good story and welcome!!

We'd love some pics, please?!!!! And careful, you could probably still get nailed with a DUI :biggrin2.gif:
Old 12-08-2010, 12:03 PM

I know two that got busted on their tractors.One on his 455 JD,wife took his keys for the truck so he got on his Deere to fetch another 12 pack.He was seen trying to run over some Canadian Geese(he lives near a lake and the geese would crap on his drive,side walk,yard,pic nic table and so on).He was charged with DUI,resisting arrest and endagerment to a migratory bird-lol! Other fellow was on his 3000 Ford tractor.He had already lost his drivers license so he mostly got around on the tractor in our rural community...untill the law won...again.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Nicely told TBM and welcome to OCC!

Did your dad do a lot of traveling when you were a kid? If so, I think we may be brothers and your dad had another life out here on the West Coast . . .

My version is centered around our first riding mower, a Toro rear engine -
I discovered it would pop wheelies like nobody's business . . . then I lunched the tranny . . . Dad scrapped the Toro, bought a used 21" rotary (not self propelled!) and I mowed our 2 1/2 acres of heavily landscaped yard for two years until he bought a POS craftsman rider which was pure misery to get started. I never challenged the man's ability to make the punishment fit the crime again!
Old 05-28-2012, 03:48 PM

My boat and travel trailer did not easily maneuver in my driveway with my 1988 Oldsmobile Custom cruiser station wagon. I called dad and asked him if Old Smokey was available. Dad gave him to me and I schlepped him to this side of Florida.

Great story! I had a 1988 Pontiac Safari Station Wagon; a sister car to that Oldsmobile. Best car I have ever owned, but you, you are correct. It couldn't maneuver much while parking/positioning anything it was towing, because the car was so long that it took a lot of space on its own. I loved that car for driving, towing and carrying. I wish I still had it. I hope my Cub Cadet 1250 can take its place.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:09 PM