Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > What is it worth ?

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Grand Member

Default 2284 with 60" deck

I have a potential deal on a 2284 with a 60" deck, I think I can get it for $1000. It was 1700 hours on the Kohler Command engine. Otherwise appears to be in good shape. I'm assuming it will need a complete tear down to clean it out and I'll probably find some oil leaking from seals. In the engine and rear. Is that a pretty good deal? I'm a little concerned on the hours.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Grand Member

Is it currently running and mowing? Those are tall hours.

I bought one with 700 hours running but surging. Deck needed repair. Paid a grand cuz new rear ags on it, decent plastic, and no rust on the tractor. I have spent another grand making it a running mowing machine. These things get pricey in a hurry. Some deck parts getting hard to find and expensive. Which deck? Does it have dual hydraulics? Any other attachments?

70, #1 cart. Brinly Cultivator. Some wheel weights.

{125, 126, 2072-Sold~regrettably, 2284 60 inch Haban 325 deck., 451 snowblower, 2182-60 inch Haban 374 deck- "Money Pit", 401 Haban 54 inch dozer blade- rebuilt, 1440-down the road, Another 2182 for parts. Another 2284 for parts. 450 blower. 1812-sold, 2072 w/ Haban 374, and a 2182#3 w/ Haban 325}-------> All SOLD
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Grand Member

Dual hydraulics, haban deck. It looks pretty good condition.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Grand Member

Go for it. At 1700 hours the engine has either been replaced or will need it in short order.

If it you could get it for 1000.00 and run it for a while, even if you had to drop 1500 for a new engine, you'd have a 2284, haban deck dual hydraulics and a new engine for 2500. They go for that often around here. If the machine is solid I would do it.
1- 1864 in pieces
QA36A Thrower, #1 Tiller w/ extensions, IH windbreaker, IH wheel weights, 44C mower deck, 50C mower deck, CCC 54" Blade, GT46 high vacuum deck, GT54 deck, Cub Tripple Bagger, Custom dozer blade, Custom suitcase weights, 3pt cultivator, lawn sweeper, original R-Bucket
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue11 View Post
Go for it. At 1700 hours the engine has either been replaced or will need it in short order.

If it you could get it for 1000.00 and run it for a while, even if you had to drop 1500 for a new engine, you'd have a 2284, haban deck dual hydraulics and a new engine for 2500. They go for that often around here. If the machine is solid I would do it.
My 1864 is around 1100 hours and when I had it apart for seals and gaskets the cylinder bores looked perfect, still showing cross hatch. As far as the engine may soon needing replaced at 1700 hours, is that a general wear and tear concern like rings, seals, and gaskets, or of something coming apart internally when they get that "old"? Just wondering because my 1864 will be up there before I know it.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM
Grand Member

It's gone... oh well..
Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorner View Post
It's gone... oh well..
Next time get out the money instead of the keyboard.

If your really mowing 6 acres like you say, what you really need is a 12' batwing finish mower, or a ZTR.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Grand Member

Do I really need to prove to you that I have 6 acres? Look at my recent post in "what did you do with your cub today". I have 2 acres of lawn, and 4 acres of field which is clover and grass. The two acres gets mowed weekly, the field needs mowed about every 3 weeks. It only takes about 4 hours to knock that down with one tractor with a 48" deck. It took less time with my 60" swisher on an offset but I had more problems with that setup than it was worth, so I sold the Swisher and got what I paid for it. Swisher 60" trail mowers are hard on belts. I don't follow why I would need a ZTR for open space. A bat wing would be neat, but I don't have a place to store something that size or anything to run it, because aren't they PTO driven? I may go for a 7' or 8' so pull behind gang mower. I have a need for tractors for multiple uses, so a ZTR isn't something I can justify getting, because it's only a mower. I don't really NEED a Super for this job, but I like them.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Banned

No, I don't need "proof" that you have 6 acres. Your claim mathematically checks out, so that's about all the proof I need. I am just slightly skeptical, as 3 weeks here the grass would be about 15" high, and no way could you ever go that long without needing a bush hog.... but grass grows differently in different areas.... so, whatever.

I don't care if you buy a SGT. I don't care how you justify it. Personally.... if you think a ZTR is a waste of money because you say you can justify a "tractor".... then I'd say justify a tractor. As in TRACTOR. Like sub-compact, or compact or shoot even a utility tractor. If you don't buy brand new, you can pick up a decent tractor capable of rear mounted implements for less than you will have in a good set up SGT. I'm not going to dig around in your area's c-list to verify that... but for example, Ford 8N tractors are a dime a dozen. Old IH's are too. You should be able to get a tractor for $3000 that will do far more than you ever will with a SGT.

Again... whether you think it or not, I'm trying to help you. With 6 acres, it's easily justifiable to own a tractor. If you want an SGT instead, fine. But don't come on here wanting to know what they are worth, or if it's a good buy.... do your research before hand, and when a good deal comes along, (like a 2284 for $1000) GO BUY THE DAMN THING! Sitting around waiting for us to tell you if it's a good deal just cost you the good deal. If it's a CC SGT, and it runs and cuts grass, it's worth $1500. If it has options (3pt and rear PTO) it's worth more. Personally, I don't think any of them are worth over $2500, but that's my opinion. But that's mostly because I can find 6 (real) tractors that cost that much, and I can do a whole heck of a lot more with them... and they're way bigger. (Less should not be more $$ in a tractor. It's all about demand.) A SGT with no options and just a deck is just that. An overgrown mower. Only thing you can do with it is push some snow, and cut grass. Now, if it has 3pt, that really opens the door. But even then, with no rear PTO, you're limited.

So... buy one. Just buy it. JUST BUY IT. If that's what you want. There has to be like 25 threads in the "What is it worth section" you can go look at. My gosh, since we added that section I think there has been a post about dang near every tractor IH/CC ever made. Go look through there if you have a question about value. Are you going to have to work on it once you buy it? UNDOUBTEDLY. They all need work, so choose your "battle". How much are you willing to pay, and how much work are you willing to do?

I hate the "what is it worth section" BTW. Same questions over and over and over and over..... The whole reason we created that section was so people could look through it and get an answer without making another post.... but, alas. No one ever looks through it. Just asks again anyway.

Rant over.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Grand Member

You make all great points, and I have considered an 8n or 9n with rear bush hog... but I can't store it out of the weather, and the age of those machines is also a concern. I have an ATV go kart, two riding mowers (the 1864 and Jacobsen GT10 with K321 repower), a snow blower, and a work area in a 12x36 basement garage (basement with external garage door access).

That being said, I had to cut the field last night before the next monsoon moves in today for the weekend, so I went out last night and cut it, for this I use the Jacobsen. I can go much faster on it than I could with the swisher, and it was probably 8-12" high, some spots were higher. I ripped through it with my 50" deck at the next to highest setting (leaving about 4") in a little over 1.5 hrs mostly in 3rd and 4th gear. I was actually surprised I did it that fast, and grass/clover was flying out the chute and the K321 didn't even flinch. If it were higher I would only be able to use 2nd or 3rd gear and double the time. That's why I'm thinking a super with 60" deck might be a good fit for my needs. My Jacobsen has the sleeve hitch for my garden implements. It's an excellent tractor but the deck is not going to last forever.

As far as the whats it worth section, yes I have looked through it... and one thing you have to remember (at least it's the way I think), is there are older posts there, and all based on opinions for something that is never seen in person by people posting their opinions and answers there. A post from 3 or more years ago about something similar to something I'm looking at really has no relevance to me, because 3 years ago something could be worth more or less than now.

Here is a satellite shot of my land:
4.jpg

And here's my Jacobsen, the deck is from a Ford but they were all made by Jacobsen, the only difference is the paint:
20170510_213530202_iOS.jpg