Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > Gardens, Lawns and Landscapes

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeter View Post
An important thread because, well, if the grass doesn't grow fast and thick then we would need fewer tractors......
That's it, I'm selling my Supers and installing astro turf.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
Are you being serious? Will the seed actually come up in the spring?
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
No different than planting winter wheat or winter rye. Grass seed is cool like that.
Seeding during a snow storm is identical to what nature does, only you have better control of the variety of seed being put down, seed spacing, soil conditions (tilling, fertilizer etc)

I had EXCELLENT results after doing exactly that in New England,,,, also, usually the soil stays moist.

As far as putting down hay to establish grass when it is warm, I have found the hay is adding locally grown grass seed (and weed seed,, ) at a rate that you would not normally put down.

The grass seed from the hay is usually local, therefore proven to be a good growing variety in your area.

The hay puts down LOTS of seed, normally adding more seed is a waste of money, but, some insurance there is plenty of seed.

I have never had a failure when putting down hay, something comes up, and it is always thick.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
As far as putting down hay to establish grass when it is warm, I have found the hay is adding locally grown grass seed (and weed seed,, ) at a rate that you would not normally put down.

The grass seed from the hay is usually local, therefore proven to be a good growing variety in your area.

Are you talking about a lawn or a pasture?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:12 AM

I'm lazy.. I'm literally going to just throw down some seed in the middle of the winter before a big storm and see what happens in the spring!

I won't spend much seed/money on the experiment.... but if it works, it could revolutionize what has been going on up here for decades.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm lazy.. I'm literally going to just throw down some seed in the middle of the winter before a big storm and see what happens in the spring!

I won't spend much seed/money on the experiment.... but if it works, it could revolutionize what has been going on up here for decades.
Count me in, also going to try it the same way.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 07-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Count me in, also going to try it the same way.
Quote:

Now you guys realize he was living somewhere in New England when he was doing that right? Because the temperatures up there stay around 80 for only a couple of months in the summer. I lived in upstate NY for 6 years before moving down here.You can throw seed on the cement and it will grow. Try that anywhere south of PA and what will happen is the seed will come up in the spring, say March, along with the weeds because you can't put down pre-emergent,and die by mid-June because when 90-95 degree heat hits it won't have deep enough roots to survive. Unless of course, you can water it twice a day every day. But if you actually do it make sure you post some pictures

Old 07-16-2014, 08:15 PM

I did some seeding this spring, putting down the local garden stores "bulk" mix of shady area grass. Worked well by mixing it in with peat moss.

Gotta do some seeding this fall..
Old 07-21-2014, 04:50 AM

Well, good info aside, I'm down with Cad.... I'm gonna go out in Dec and toss some seed down... I'll will document the results. The truth must come out about this magical cure!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:25 PM

I can vouch for the winter seeding as I watched my FIL throw what grass seed was left in a bag out in a section of his yard around Christmas as he found it in the way in the garage. Next Spring you could see the new grass and that was the greenest area in his yard.

He also recommends freezing the seed before planting it if you plant during fall or spring, his theory is that it simulates winter dormancy.

edit to add...he lives in north east corner of MD near DE/PA. The winter he did it was the one we had three blizzards and it was very cold. It survived the following summer heat as well as the rest of his lawn. I haven't really made a point to notice it since that first spring when you couldn't help but see all the thick new growth there. I can't say for sure that the crabgrass hasn't taken over there since then, but I can say for sure it isn't a bare brown spot.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 View Post
I can vouch for the winter seeding as I watched my FIL throw what grass seed was left in a bag out in a section of his yard around Christmas as he found it in the way in the garage. Next Spring you could see the new grass and that was the greenest area in his yard.

He also recommends freezing the seed before planting it if you plant during fall or spring, his theory is that it simulates winter dormancy.
I heard freezing the seed stimulates faster growth as well. I am not going to try it since I'll be buying the more expensive seed this year, but if someone is willing to try it and report back that would be great.

As far as the seeding in the winter, where does your FIL live? Also, since the concern is not whether it will come up in the spring but drought resistance in the summer, do you have any information on whether the newly seeded grass survived the summer months?