Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Briggs & Stratton Engines

Notices

Old 04-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Grand Member

Default Vanguard starter drive

https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplima...I7aToxMDAwO319

What is the function/purpose of the coil spring that is on the starter drive?
Old 04-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Mike

I think it retracts the gear after the engine starts.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
Mike

I think it retracts the gear after the engine starts.
What he said.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Grand Member

The spring keeps the gear from vibrating back into the ring gear causing a noise/wear.
The helix on the inside of the pinion gear is what retracts the pinion when the engine is started.
The spring keeps it retracted.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
The spring keeps the gear from vibrating back into the ring gear causing a noise/wear.
The helix on the inside of the pinion gear is what retracts the pinion when the engine is started.
I would have thought that's what the spring would be for but that spring on this starter design doesn't come in contact with the pinion gear even with the gear fully extended. The spring is nested on a steel sleeve that is pressed inside that hub.

It only touches the hub on the end of the armature shaft that the roll pin goes through. Maybe this is the answer:

http://usedlawntractorparts.com/images/691564.jpg

This starter is like one that I have except the one in question here doesn't have the cage on it that touches the pinion and pushes on the spring. So, mine is missing a part that doesn't show in the Parts Tree diagram. I have replaced several pinions in Vanguards in the last couple of years and don't remember seeing that cage on the starter drive.

That makes sense though. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
George

You may want to take a look at the starter section in the Vanguard service manual. When you do look at the plastic gear starter. I think you will find that the helix is what moves the pinion gear into place to engage the ring gear and once started the speed of the ring gear, the starter motor slowing and the spring is what retracts the pinion gear.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-28-2016, 11:38 AM
Grand Member

When all the parts are present (unlike mine), I believe the helix not only drives the pinion into the ring gear, it also allows the pinion to unwind back to home when the ring gear speed over runs the pinion speed.

Regardless, the pinion will disengage from the ring gear without the spring having any influence on it's position. Will it come back and contact the ring gear? Maybe/probably but I know I have two engine running like that, for how long, time will tell.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:42 AM
Grand Member

On a related note, I've bought and lost/misplaced 2-3 Craftsman 1/4" drive X 13 mm sockets to get the upper starter mounting bolt off. Awkward job at best trying to work around the starter drive clutch and seems worse going back together.

So, I bought some short 8mm Allen head bolts and used an Allen head wrench with the ball end to insert the bolt and tighten it up. Very easy operation now.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:17 PM

i cant believe they havent hardly changed the crappy design since the early all cast iron briggs motors....interesting..still a plastic bendix gear too?? i just rebuilt one for a 1974 model 16hp, and didnt pay attention to the case, after replacing the bushings and putting it back together and realized the magnets are polarized a certain way when i put it back together and it spun opposite direction!!! learn something knew everyday...or im just dumb....
Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Mac View Post
George

You may want to take a look at the starter section in the Vanguard service manual. When you do look at the plastic gear starter. I think you will find that the helix is what moves the pinion gear into place to engage the ring gear and once started the speed of the ring gear, the starter motor slowing and the spring is what retracts the pinion gear.
ok,
I do not have that starter in my hand, I was speaking of what normally happens.
inertia/helix engages it and over running disengages it, like others have said.
something has to keep it out of the ring gear, I would think.
But I have been wrong, and my wife likes to remind me of that