Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Grand Member

Default Brinley Plow...& Sleeve Hitch

Just wondering, if you can remove the "A" frame off a 3pth plow and make it into a sleeve hitch design? Just looking at some pictures and the clevis doesn't look too much different - only a few minor modifications would need to be done?

Then again....perhaps the angle adjustment might need to be adjustable.....perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree on this one?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Grand Member

Forget the previous question.....I figured something out that works better!

Just buy the correct plow!! :biggrin2.gif:

DSCN0996.jpg
DSCN0995.jpg

Picked this one up in Eastern Michigan about 2 weeks ago or so. I think I was lucky...guy was going to a plow day that Saturday with it having full intention to come home without it and the cash in his pocket! Its been all re-painted and looks great. It just needs new decals to be "complete".

I talked to my father on the weekend and he still has wheat ground he hasn't plowed yet this year....told him I would go help him out! Will see if I can convince my mother to get a picture of the two tractors plowing together!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM

You know, they say the ground in that part of Canada is just too tough for plows - I better take that one off your hands. That looks like a Missouri plow for sure.:biggrin2.gif:

Seriously, though that's a very nice plow there. I have been sort of looking for a Brinly sleeve hitch plow the last few days - I just not ready to put down the money for a new one. I'm not quite sure if this tough, rocky ground here will take a plow.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Grand Member

No worries T-Mo....if the 982 can't pull it, or I just plain don't like it - I'll send it your way! You will be first on my list, gotta love a guy who will take another man's junk! :biggrin2.gif:

Only thing I am concerned about is if I can pull it with just my stock turf tires on the tractor? I don't want to go out and buy chains for the tires since I have no intention of using the tractor in the winter for snow removal (already have a blade on ATV & a walk behind snowblower). I am thinking its better investment to get some wheel weights for it and or another set of rims & some ags and load them up! Will see what happens, all depends on the
$$ funds $$. After all, that dreaded day on the 25th is coming fast and I still have to finish some trim work in the house too. I can see the wife now.... "You spent your money on that $@&# tractor, look at my house! You not think that it would have been a SMARTER idea to spend some........" Ummmmm....yeah! We will have to see about the tires!
:biggrin2.gif:
Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 AM

Yeah, gotta keep the wife pleased.

You could take some car or truck tire chains and cut them down to fit. That's what I did for my 123. Of course, the best plan was your buying another set of rims and ags - that's would be the way to go, but I understand the money part.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:46 AM

Mountain Heritage , Alot depends on the type of ground you will be plowing and having the plow set properly.

Make sure you fine tune your plow and it will cut thru the dirt like a hot knife thru butter. Wear or take the paint off of the plow share also.

Ground that has already been worked will be somewhat easier to plow. Sandy/Loose ground will be easier also. Clay/Gumbo ground that has never been worked is somewhat difficult.

If you have loose soil and your plow is set right , i doubt you will have to have Ags or chains when you plow. Try it first before you buy anything.

Those 26-12-12 Ags are going to look killer , but they are really to big to plow with because they will not set down in the furrow.

Try to fine tune your setup and keep practing before you spend that hard earned $$$$$$$$$ !!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:49 AM

Chains are going to be a LOT cheaper than another set of tires and rims. Who cares if you don't use 'em in the winter?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Grand Member

Ok, lets throw this out then....Can I get another set of rims that are a little narrower than the stock tires? If so, what model tractor would have narrower rims but still sticking with the 26" diameter? Or is there such a beast?

Only reason I say I don't want to buy the chains Matt is because I am thinking if I put the lets say $100.00 into chains, and I only use them once a year - not really putting money to "good" use. But if I put lets say $300.00 or so into rims & tires (likely more if I have to buy new) but use them more often throughout the year - I am thinking it is money better spent? Don't really know which is better right now....kinda talking outta my.... !! I just think that chains would clog up and still end up slipping - thinking the ag tread will clean better in the loam/clay & sandy/loam soil we have around here? Then again, if I see the price on rims & tires it may scare the crap out of me and I will go with the chains anyway! In a perfect world, getting away with my stock turf tires and perhaps throw some wheel weights on it would be great & cheaper!!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:55 AM

I have plowed with chains on several occasions with no problems. They work every bit as good (or better) than lug tires.

I think you're probably looking at $200 for a pair of rims and at least $200 if not $300 for the tires. That's $4-500...

Turf tires without chains will have very little traction when plowing.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Grand Member

Hmmmm....

Going to have to do some more research on this. You think if I did put the money out for a set of Tru Powers on stock rims they will work ok with the 12 inch plow I bought or are they going to be running over the ground I just rolled over in the previous pass?