Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Cub Cadet Engines > Kohler Engines

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 AM

Default CH22 giving me problems

I have a CH22 with a Klien carb on my 2284 and it is refusing to run. I was getting ready to plow my garden made one furrow and the tractor just abruptly shut down. I was able to determine that the engine was not getting fuel. Back ground on the engine is I rebuilt the carb and changed the fuel filter last spring and used the tractor every week all summer and I use it regularly now. Here what it will do start and run a few seconds then die. Choke it crank several times restart and die. If you pour fuel in the carb opening it will continue to run until you stop. Here is what I have done to try to solve the problem. Replaced the fuel filter and all fuel lines except the long one to the tank. I have fuel running out of the fuel filter. I dissembled the fuel pump and cleaned it. Checked that I have vacuum at the vacuum hose when the engine cranks. I have fuel which will spurt out from the pump when the engine cranks. I pulled the carb dissembled it,cleaned it with carb cleaner and blew compressed air through all the holes and jets and reset the float. Pulled the electronic shut off cleaned it made sure the actuator was free applied 12v and watched it work back and forth, checked the power line to make sure I had 12v there. Reassembled everything and again checked that I had 12v at the electronic actuator when the key was on. The engine still starts and dies still no fuel in carb. I pulled the top of the carb and I have fuel in the bowl. If I hadn't blown air through the carb I would think its stopped up but I know air will go through all the jets. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to be thorough. Any suggestions? I took a break to see if Im missing something. I think Ill pull the carb and let it soak in cleaner as a next step unless you guys think of something Ive missed. Thanks for the help Don
CC 1572 aka "The Big Yellow Smoker" BYS w/3pt hitch-PTO
Brinly Cat 0 3pt plow-Brinly sleeve hitch plow
Custom Hydraulic lift disc-Haban Blade-Brinly Cultivators
Cub Cadet lawn trailer and lawn sweeper
Old 02-01-2012, 03:10 AM

Don

In your post you say you've checked the fuel solenoid. I'm wondering if for some reason, its still screwing up. But then if you have fuel in the carb, it should stay running. You definitely have a fuel problem, cause of the way you describe the manually dumping fuel in the carb. There's that small screw in the side of the bowl see if you can pull it out and let some fuel run out and try it again. Let the fuel run a bit, just to see if there's some kinda obstruction in the fuel inlet line.

Regardless you may still have to pull it back apart.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Just found what I think is a deal on Flea Bay. Brand new carbs for a CH22 with the acc pump. These were take offs from engines used by Ridley Motorcycles. Ridleys were Kohler powered automatics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kohler-Carbu...item2a09f58904

I just bought one for my 2284, talked to Valerie at 405-525-5400

Sam
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM

The first thing that came to mind was plugged gas cap vent.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Had a similar problem with a CH22 and it was that solenoid on the top of the motor under the air cleaner. Took it off cleaned it out, when I started the motor back up it spit and sputterd and I ever so gently tapped on that solenoid and it smoothed right out. Happened a couple more times after that and then there was no trouble. Tractor had been sitting for a couple of months so I am positive it got hung up and just needed to work some. Also read a lot about it and how some guys just eliminated it but I don't remember any more details other than grinding the tip off or something.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:57 PM

Sam good price! WOW!

I did a Courage today and it had a solenoid that wasn't working. I couldn't feel it clicking, or hear it, took it out and it was stuck open. Constant back fires.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM

My seleniod is not stuck and clicks out of the Carb. I pulled the Carb and dipped it again. I'm going to reassemble everything and double check. I saw those other carbs you mentioned so they are good? I may go ahead and order one also
Old 02-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Don

Will it idle at all?

If you keep the bowl full manualy it will run and idle, yes?

Then Im thinking you may have a needle problem. Some how its getting stuck and not opening to let the fuel in. Or maybe a float problem. The float dosnt have a crack in it dose it. I get hot water and let it soak in it as the crack will expand.

I would think that if it were a cap, it would take a little while for that problem to show, as it builds a vacume.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Administrator

I'll let you guys know if they are good as soon as I get it. Cub gets $55.00 for just the gasket rebuild kit. Just did all that and it's better but still not the way I want it. Been working on the one I have now for 2 days and I've had enough. If this doesn't do it this 2284 is going to have a new Vanguard in it. I'm not going to sell someone a tractor that has a problem.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 AM

Vince,
It just shut off like you had turned the key off. Initially I thought it was ignition related until I began checking and found it was fuel related. It will not idle. It will start right up idle 3-5 secs and die. You can choke it and get it to try to restart with the same results. I checked my fuel flow up to the carb and determined Im getting fuel to the carb but not through the carb. The float was replaced last spring and I dont think it has a crack. The float bowl will be full of fuel. I can not see fuel coming out of the main jet into the carb when it cranks. If you pour fuel in manually it will continue to run until you stop. Currently I have dissembled the carb dipped it and have it cleaned and ready to go back together. I think I am getting a lot of junk out of the tank as the fuel filter was pretty dirty. Possibly enough small drugs got through to plug the carb and even though I used compressed air to blow it out it did not unstop. I am hoping the dip clean will clean it out. I am considering pulling the tank cleaning it and replacing every fuel line that way everything will be new. Its not the cap as I checked it and it is not stopped up. I have had that happen before and this is different. Keep the suggestions coming 2 heads are better than one.