Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Resources > Restoration Tips

Notices

Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 PM

Default Removing spray paint

I am by no stretch of the definition an "expert" in paint, but I can use some advice.

Several years ago, I purchased a 107 in basket case condition. Got it all put back together, rebuilt the engine, friend of mine went through the rear end with new seals and gaskets. Mechanically its in great shape.

Visually is a different story. At some point, the original paint was covered over by a similar color paint, which has turned very dark. Then someone else did a rattle can job on it with what appears to be lemon yellow. I know its spray paint from the overspray on the frame which they left alone. They did no surface prep and both layers are peeling off, revealing the original paint. I call it "camouflage".

A certain toddler takes all my time and energy, so I can't prep it and paint it properly as I'd like. Was curious about this graffiti remover in a spray can. Was curious if this this would take it down a layer or two and reveal the original paint, or does graffiti remover only work with paint that's so many hours old?

Until then, it'll stay in its work clothes until I get the time for a better paint job, and pick the loose chips off with my fingers.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
1971 Cub Cadet 107
1975 Cub Cadet 1650

2 Brinly Plows, Brinly Disk, Brinly Grader Blade, Brinly Box Blade, 3-42" decks, 1-50" deck, a Sears 3 pt hitch I bought for $20, a couple dual wheel adapters, CW36 & QA36 snow throwers, 1A tiller, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Nothing substitutes tear down and proper paint removal. Sandblasting is the only way to go. If you want to try "quick remedies" go ahead. Let us know how it works out.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Grand Member

From my experience many years ago, if the paint is solid then all you have to do is sand/prime/sand/paint. Unfortunately it sounds like your paint is cracked and chipping so the only way you will get decent results is to strip it to bare metal. Hiring a sandblaster is the fastest and best, just lots of taking things apart to get grit out of places it should not be. You can use sanders and wire brushes on angle grinders, but its very slow and hard work. I have used paint stripper on some stuff with good results, but some of that stuff is a little dangerous. Of course if it isn't working as well as it should at removing the paint, you have to be able to get the paint off with something. If it were mine, I'd live with the bad paint until I had time to take it apart to sandblast everything except the engine and rear end--I don't like getting grit around those types of items. If you hire a sandblaster just make sure the guy has a brain and doesn't warp the sheet metal.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck
Old 02-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Grand Member

"If" you're just trying to remove the rattle can paint to expose the original, I had some luck with lacquer thinner.
I bought one of my 125's that was poorly painted with some brand of rattle can paint, and I used the thinner on rags, and held them on a spot at a time and wiped the paint right off without harming the original paint.
It was time consuming, but it worked out fine...

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 02-15-2017, 11:52 PM
Grand Member

My O is multi colored and chipping like yours. When I rebuilt the deck, I was cleaning grease off it with mineral spirits and noticed I could take the top wrong color white paint off the deck and leave the original white. If I rubbed too hard the original white came off too which was no big deal since I already planned to strip it all down and repaint. I'm sure there is a happy medium and with practice you can do to take off just what you want. I haven't tried it on the brushed on yellow of my tractor, but it worked on the no-prep sprayed on white. I have no idea if it will look better when your done though, it may look all smeary and dull.

Bill
Old 02-16-2017, 10:56 AM
Grand Member

For small parts, easily removed, I use aircraft paint remover in a spray can. You can get it at Wal-Mart in the auto section.
Great for removing paint from nuts & bolts as well. Spray, let set a few minutes, and the old paint darn near falls off. Sand as needed , prime and repaint. if there is rust under the paint, toss 'em into a container of vinegar overnight, then wire brush on your bench grinder

Rustoleum transport yellow farm equipment spray is a really close match.
The can is easy to spot, it has a picture of a big yellow farm tractor on it.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator

This is only cub cadets. For the references to bringing up kids, they have been removed. Those topics are better suited for Dr Phil.

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 02-16-2017, 07:12 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm semi-content with leaving the paint alone for now until I have the time to do the job right. I do have some pieces like the mule drive that I could try some of the suggestions and see how it turns out. It'd be quick to repaint if it fails.

I've done the aircraft stripper on my front wheels before and boy does that stuff work fast! I'm a little concerned about using the sand blaster.and getting sand in places I might forget to clean, so I may just stick with paint stripper for that.

Thank you for the advice! I appreciate it very much.

R Bedell I didn't realize mentioning my son was breaking rules of the forum. I didn't mean to offend and I'll make sure not to do it in the future. Please feel free to lock/delete thread if you wish.
1971 Cub Cadet 107
1975 Cub Cadet 1650

2 Brinly Plows, Brinly Disk, Brinly Grader Blade, Brinly Box Blade, 3-42" decks, 1-50" deck, a Sears 3 pt hitch I bought for $20, a couple dual wheel adapters, CW36 & QA36 snow throwers, 1A tiller, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 PM

Not pertaining to paint removal. I was able to remove some surface rust from the battery moving around and battery acid with basic 3m rubbing compound

I refuse to re-paint my 1980 beauty.
Not perfect factory paint is what makes them original and adds charm
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 PM

Wow met to say battery tray under the seat.
I'm to old to post at night without proof reading my post.
Sorry gentleman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3620.jpg (16.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3624.jpg (21.4 KB, 172 views)