Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 10-05-2015, 07:11 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy1 View Post
It's a Canon Power Shot SX160IS.
There may be a problem, the wife thought it was a discontinued model Check evilpay, might be one out there
Just checked and they do have some, alot cheaper than what I paid
Edit, they are all used...
To OP: If that model is discontinued, check out the Canon PowerShot ELPH170IS. Just picked one up myself as Canon is my go to camera company. LOVE it. You can do it either fully auto and just point and click or you can change all the settings in it. Plus 12x optical (you want optical over digital) zoom. All for $139.00 + shipping. Did a good amount of research on cameras under $200 before buying and this one seemed to be the best choice.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 AM
Grand Member

Awesome info guys!!

Especially when I don't know anything... your input is very helpful and appreciated!

40 years of Using and playing with IH Cub Cadets!

Proud owner of the following:
Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 10-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Grand Member

I've had good luck with Sony. Ease of operation & good support.
It's got a stupid (auto) mode, then anyone becomes a pro.

Nik,
Old 10-08-2015, 09:32 AM

This is a good deal on a more advanced camera close to your price range:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca....mc_id=C126149
Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c11 View Post
This is a good deal on a more advanced camera close to your price range:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/ca....mc_id=C126149
Thank you!! I will check it out!

Cub Farmall, Super A Farmall, Original, (2)70's, 72, 100, 102, 123, 105, 125, 127, 108, 128, 1450, (3)782's, Yellow 982, 1782, "Sam's" 2182, M Farmall and a #7 trailer
Old 10-09-2015, 03:28 PM

I went out of my way a couple of years back to get a new old stock Canon SX160IS because, at least at that time, it was their only model that still used AA batteries and not a proprietary (expensive) battery and charger. Sometimes I'll go to a car show or something and run through several sets of batteries in a day so the extra money of the specialized equipment would have really added up. It is also able to use a "generic" ($3-$4?) AA-to-wall outlet cord (has a little hatch on the battery door for the adapter cord to run out of) so just around the house I don't even need to worry about having charged batteries ready to go.

So... If those features sound like something you want, you may have to include them in your buying criteria and they may be hard to find these days. Our Canon cameras at work were ALWAYS dead and I decided I didn't want that hassle at home too.

If you are interested in my exact model; it does everything else you want (HD video, point and shoot modes, 16x optical zoom, 16MP, SD card, etc) and start at around $50 used. Looks like nice ones with their original boxes are around $100. I think I paid like $150-$175 new.

For reference, here are some pictures I took with it in my dim-ish kitchen (cup holder project) and one outside from a few months ago (to illustrate rusty lifetime warranty lug nuts w/date). No flash and everything set to auto (and obviously re-sized for the forum... I currently have it set to take pictures 4x that size). I've used several "point and shoot" Canons and they all pretty much do well. I've liked the Olympus cameras I've used too. Hit and miss in Nikon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (29.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg sample2.jpg (21.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwelhse View Post
I went out of my way a couple of years back to get a new old stock Canon SX160IS because, at least at that time, it was their only model that still used AA batteries and not a proprietary (expensive) battery and charger. Sometimes I'll go to a car show or something and run through several sets of batteries in a day so the extra money of the specialized equipment would have really added up. It is also able to use a "generic" ($3-$4?) AA-to-wall outlet cord (has a little hatch on the battery door for the adapter cord to run out of) so just around the house I don't even need to worry about having charged batteries ready to go.

So... If those features sound like something you want, you may have to include them in your buying criteria and they may be hard to find these days. Our Canon cameras at work were ALWAYS dead and I decided I didn't want that hassle at home too.

If you are interested in my exact model; it does everything else you want (HD video, point and shoot modes, 16x optical zoom, 16MP, SD card, etc) and start at around $50 used. Looks like nice ones with their original boxes are around $100. I think I paid like $150-$175 new.

For reference, here are some pictures I took with it in my dim-ish kitchen (cup holder project) and one outside from a few months ago (to illustrate rusty lifetime warranty lug nuts w/date). No flash and everything set to auto (and obviously re-sized for the forum... I currently have it set to take pictures 4x that size). I've used several "point and shoot" Canons and they all pretty much do well. I've liked the Olympus cameras I've used too. Hit and miss in Nikon.
They are a great camera, and to use standard AA batteries is a plus. I bought a cheap charger and four sets of rechargeable batteries so it's always ready to go. It is a little slow on rebooting the flash, but to me that's not a big deal...

Original's Face Lift thread.http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34439
(O) Start to Finish video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAoUNNiLwKs
Wheel Around videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL-m6Bramk
They can't all be turn key!
Old 12-28-2015, 05:46 AM
Grand Member

Hey Jay, you ever get your camera? If so just wondering what you decided on and how it has been working out?

David
Old 12-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Grand Member

David,

I looked at all kind of options and got really confused really quickly. So what I have done for now is dig out an old Kodak that I forgot I had. My brother in law made some format changes to my picture viewing programs on the computer and now I can grab pictures off the old Kodak without using the outdated and quirky Kodak software.

The Kodak has a nice lens and takes good pictures so for now ill just use it..

But I'm still looking for something a little newer. Thanks for asking about it.. Im still open to suggestions and new ideas!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Grand Member

A couple of years ago my old camera shot craps, so I asked my Daughter to poke around on the net to see what she could find.

I just wanted a cheap one, so it could ride around in the door pocket in my truck or in my shirt pocket and if it got damaged it wouldn't be such a big deal.

She came back with one that she thought I'd like, it came from the Wal Mart and was right at $60.00

Turns out, (for the money) it's a pretty decent camera. 16.0 megapixel, 8X zoom, image stabilization, removable rechargeable battery that seems to last forever and can make short videos (don't remember just how long). It was "plug n play" with my laptops no BS to have to download. Plus, it takes pretty darn good pictures!

I did have to buy a memory card for it because the internal storage was very small. I got a 16 gig card and I think it was about $20.00

Not sure if they're still available but it's a GE E1680 and it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

It really is just what I wanted, cheap enough that I'm not afraid to carry it with me and takes a picture/video than can be viewed full screen on my laptop and still look good. What more could a guy ask for in a cheap camera.

Pretty sure I just got lucky, but it is really is a decent little camera.