Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Little help with the 982?

I did a little work on the 982 I got the Wed before Thanksgiving. Cleaned up the hydro pump, repaired the neutral safety switch that was bypassed and broken, and snugged up the bolts on the left side axle tube which was leaking. Everything on the top side is clean and dry and the leak seems to be coming from the left axle tube. After I snugged up the bolts everything was dry for a week or so, but when I fired her up to test the NSS, there was hydro fluid on the rear the next day. So, before I remove the rear end, does anyone have any suggestions? Do the bolt holes go thru the housing, or are they not exposed to the hyrdo fluid? Any help would be appreciated. I want to change the fluids, but am not going to replace the Hy(cost)tran if it's going to be on the floor. As always, thanks!

Original Member #54
Old 12-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Just got in from the shop. Just in case anyone else runs into this problem, I removed the 8 bolts that hold the hydro and rear end to the frame and carefully lowered the rear end to get access to remove the axle tube. Once I did, I found the bolt broken off flush with the CI housing. I tried drilling and using an EZ out, but it would have taken a trip to the store for a better bit or a few days of drilling. Anyway, the hole I started was off center, so I took a punch to see if I could get it to turn. Low and behold it did. Got a few revolutions and then used a cold chisel to turn it the rest of the way out. Not too bad. What was actually happening was that when the short bolt was tightened it was actually opening a gap between the axle tube and the rear end since it was pressing against the broken stud. Took a closer look at the other side, and have a similar problem with one of the frame bolts there also. So a trip to my local dealer is in order to see if he has a few gaskets for me. Not as bad as it could have been, and hopefully not only will it quit leaking, but be fixed right.

It looked pretty good inside, but there were some areas in the rear that had some thick coagulated hytran. I've read about cleaning out the rear with kerosene or brake kleen, any opinions on which is better? While I'm in there, I may as well clean it up.

Original Member #54
Old 12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Grand Member

glad to hear you're getting it taken care of. Where's the pics?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM

Thanks for the info Wild Bill! The 'sludge' in mine is kind of a clear/yellowish jelly substance and most of it was on the sides, not at the bottom. Not a lot mind you, I scraped about 2 tablespoons, but there. Maybe the PO didn't use Hytran? Anyway, I'll manually clean, then brake kleen, then dry. I'm hoping my local dealer has the gaskets so I can get it back together Monday nite.

Original Member #54
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Well, the easy broken bolt is out. The one on the other side was not too compliant. The rear end is out and getting ready to be put on the bench. The bolt is broke flush, much like the other side, but won't spin with the chisel/punch. Picking up a cobalt bit at lunch to see if it will drill the bolt, and as an extra bonus, there is also a small piece broken off in the axle tube The 'good' side also needs a new axle seal, so removing it was still necessary. Crazy, I had a nice, complete, running 982, two weeks ago, now I have hydro fluid all over my shop floor, and my 982 in pieces. Almost makes me want to just tear it down a bit further and get it ready to paint in the spring???? Oh, and my poor 70 that's been sitting in a million pieces since June. At least I got the steering column rebuilt and I did get a nice pressure pot sandblaster for Christmas, so I'll be able to get back at that soon!

Original Member #54
Old 12-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Default Success and an update!

Me and toygirl were in the shop the past few hours. She was chasing the axle tube bolts while I was drilling the broken bolt for an EZ out. I'm happy to say, it worked great. Got the stud out of the housing, chased all the threads, and cleaned up the rear end. Then I turned my attention to the broken bolt in the right side axle tube. Used the EZ out again without a problem, but the hole still wasn't clear the entire way thru. PO put a helicoil in the axle tube for some reason? (Just in the lower third of the hole) The hole is a little egged at the top, but other than waiting for my gaskets and axle oil seals, I'll be good for reassembly after I get the rear end cleaned out well and then the shop. The Dewalt Cobalt bit made ez work of the broken bolts. My other bits hardly made a dent. Here's a few pics:

The tough bolt

Rear end out

Good money spent

Success!

A little egged

What a mess!

Original Member #54
Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 PM

I will gladly bring my trailer and cart the messy looking red thing out for you...lol You're 1/2 way from total disassembly,might as well go the other 1/2.
1200 Cub cadet (Red)
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
1200 Cub Cadet
165 Hydro John Deere
1941 John Deere H
1950 David Bradley 5756
1952 David Bradley 57561 Super Power
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

OK gents, I wrestled the cast iron behemoth back into my 982. (no pics, sorry) I thought I lost a pinkie, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as I thought. The nice thing was it was numb, so I could finish what I was doing, but I dreaded getting in the house! Anyway, the rear end is back in and I got a box full of filters and gaskets. Need to install the axles, add a few washers and torque everything down. (And I still have all 10 digits, although one has some unusual coloring)

My question is, is there a 'bleeding' procedure once the hy-tran is installed?

Thanks, as always!

Original Member #54
Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Not particularly. It wouldn't be a bad idea to rotate the driveshaft by hand for a bit to prime the pump. Any air bubbles in there will work their way out eventually.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Matt, leave the dip stick in/unit sealed or not? And....good idea to fill the filter with hy-tran?

Original Member #54