Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > CCC/MTD Cub Cadet built Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM

Default 2072 Transmission Output Shaft

I'm starting to plan a project for my 2072. I want to add an auxiliary hydraulic pump to run, well whatever I want to run with it I'm looking into the possibility of connecting it to the rear output on the transmission that would typically run the rear pto. Does anyone know what rpm it turns at? Is the output shaft driven directly off of the input shaft/drive shaft?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanschm2 View Post
I'm starting to plan a project for my 2072. I want to add an auxiliary hydraulic pump to run, well whatever I want to run with it I'm looking into the possibility of connecting it to the rear output on the transmission that would typically run the rear pto. Does anyone know what rpm it turns at? Is the output shaft driven directly off of the input shaft/drive shaft?
The output shaft IS the input shaft. It goes all the way through. It runs at engine speed. Why add a hydraulic pump? It already has one on it.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The output shaft IS the input shaft. It goes all the way through. It runs at engine speed.
Ditto.........

CC Models: 100, 105, 1450, 782, (2) 784, & 2072

Buy: Made in the USA
Old 04-19-2014, 07:51 AM

That's great news, thanks guys!

Basically I am looking at running all implements with hydraulics. The blower and mower deck for starters. Then tiller, loader, wood splitter, chipper, etc. No more belts!

I plan to re-power with a Diesel. Keep the current Hydro setup for driving and the front Auxiliary output which will be used for small things like a tilt blade and the snowblower chute rotation. The secondary pump will give me the the output to run the big motors and cylenders.

Right now I'm in the planning stage trying to figure out where to mount the pump and resivoir. If I cant find room to do so cleanly I might end up going with a new hydro drive with hydraulic wheel motors which would give me the capability of diff lock and maybe even 4wd... everything is up in the air at this point.

I am open to any suggestions!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't try to run 100% of the engine power through the hydro pump shaft, it's only 5/8" in diameter. Think you would be better running your auxiliary pump off the front PTO.
BX2670 with FEL
Old 04-21-2014, 09:25 PM

That's a good point, I feel like I'm going to end up going to plan B. Scrap the current drive and go with wheel motors...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Banned

Seeing as how the machines works so well as they were made..... your goal is???? Are you familiar with hydraulics at all? Because what you are talking about is pretty involved.

Remember, you asked for suggestions...

I'd suggest sticking with the belt drive for the implements that were made to run off a belt. If you want to run a log splitter with the cub, put a set of remote outlets on it and just use the hydraulics. Pretty simple thing to do and it doesn't involve re-inventing a machine. You can split the remotes to the front and the rear so you have hydraulic angle on your blade and a remote on the rear for a log splitter. Use an electric motor for the chute controls on the blower. Doing this will cost you about $3500-$5000 less than your idea, and it will save you the headache of finding out it's a lot harder than it looks to build a fully hydraulic machine.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanschm2 View Post
The rear hydro output is a hardened shaft will handle a hydraulic pump, after all it will run a large tiller digging in the ground and large mowers too. Your weakest link is the drive line and may need an upgrade. As far as the hydraulics off of the hydro, the pressure and volume are way too low for a splitter and many other accessories. Its fine for lifting/angling a blade, but not running hydraulic motors or large cylinders. A splitter cylinder would have to be a very large bore compensating for the lower pressure, and with a typical 24" stroke would take 5 minutes to cycle through. You would also have to deal with the fluid heating. The rear PTO pump is a good idea, just don't oversize it for the tractors capabilities. The shaft turns at engine rpm and small gear pumps such as those used on loaders will work fine. Do not use a vane pump for this rpm. I too am considering running my loader pump off the rear hydro shaft of my 2082 freeing up the front pto for running my mower. I have seen this set up on a JD using basically the same Sunstrand hydro and it worked well.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 PM

the hydro system on the cubs is very basic, low pressure and volume. its really only good for the implements that were made for it. im running a kwik-way loader and its pump is putting out 8GPM at up to 3000 psi. ive got it set at 1500 for the loader and backhoe. i have thought about using the rear output shaft for a possible rear hydraulic pump to run a rear PTO. shouldn't be to hard to do just have to make up a shaft to run the pump and some mounting and find a spot for a tank. maybe keep the tank on the implement. i say go for it and let us know how it works out
1772 turbo diesel- Iron rear + KW loader + backhoe + 3 point.
Case 580CK
Ford 850
International TD-8E
Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

This has been done a lot of times. I believe if the drive line can run a 50" tiller, then a pump should be no problem. You can drill and tap the rear case like a lot of guys have for an oil sump but I would be afraid of contaminating the tractors oil hooking and un-hooking implements. SMurphy did a sweet hydro set up on a gear drive super and mounted the pump between the frame rails and under the tunnel cover but I can't find any pics of it.

I see no advantage of putting hydro motors on the wheels. If you want to put that kind of money and engineering in a machine then you need to look at a Steiner or Ventrac. We all like projects so if you do these we like pictures.