Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > Implements and Attachments

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM

When you get these done, I will be very interested in one.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Well, I met with the fabricators today to go over some details.

First of all, I must say that I was very pleased with the attention to detail and the lengths they went to keep it true to the original design. They are even replicating the rear blade support brackets, which totally amazed me! I guess you would have to have actually seen the underside of a #40 up close to understand what I am referring to. Bottom line is that I was thoroughly impressed.

Now for the bad news...

To keep the cost of each box blade at an affordable price point, it does not look like I will be able to have them powder coated as I had hoped. The raw finished blade is already at that mark, and due to set-up costs, it would just be cost prohibitive to have it done.

The few of you guys that want one of these will have the option of receiving the box blade in raw steel form, or with a coat of primer that I can apply myself.

The one thing that I am not completely sold on is the gauge of plate steel that is currently spec'd. The original IH #40 box was constructed of 13 ga. steel. The unit that I am having made is 11 ga., which is a 25% improvement in thickness. When compared side be side on thickness, the 11 ga. is quite obviously much heavier. However, I am still wondering if it will be heavy enough to accomplish what I wanted to with this reproduction.

I requested a quote on some heavier gauge plate. However, much to my disappointment, I do know that 1/4" plate is probably out of the question due to cost. Not saying that it cannot be done if you want one like that. I just think it is too expensive.

Anyway, we are down to brass tacks at this point. There is still time to make adjustments, but I intend to have the box blades into production at the end of next week. Several of the box blades that will be produced have been spoken for. There will be four or five extras available. Should anyone be seriously interested in having one, please PM me, or email me at nashcub1@yahoo.com

I'm open to any questions, comments, and/or suggestions.

Thanks!
Steven

Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 PM

Steven,

I'm with Wild Bill - you've improved on an established design, no worries on whether you should have gone heavier - If I was going to use my 104 for moving dirt, I'd buy one from you in a heartbeat!

We're still going to get to see pics of the final product right?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM

Thanks, Guys!

That's the type of feedback that I need. I just want to do this right for myself, and the other guys that want one. I'm really looking forward to seeing the first completed box blade. Also hoping to be able to take pics of the process! Might be another week before they make the production run, but I will post them as quickly as possible.

The facility where these are being made is quite impressive. I can assure you that I am not their 'typical' customer by a long shot. I'm very fortunate that the owners of the fabrication company took the time to listen to me. The resources and technical support that they have provided to me has been incredible, and there is no doubt in my mind that they will produce a high quality product.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:26 PM

Default #40 Reproduction

Steve,I WILL take a drool bucket and mop with me when we go to their fabrication shop...and about the loaded 73 you emailed me that WAS on CL...I know who bought it!!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Quick update; Still waiting an a firm date to begin production. There are a few more important items that will need to completed before it can be put into the rotation. Shooting for sometime next week.

Only other improvement that I could think of would be adding a piece of 1/4 plate steel to the inside lower and leading edges of the side panels. I would like to think that this would firm up that area and further prevent the leading edge from being bent or tweeked.

Current plan is to crank out a couple of them to make sure everything fits together properly. Any adjustments can be made at that time. I still plan to take some pics of the whole process. If possible, I will also try to make a vid to post. The guys at the fab company thought I'd be impressed with watching the nitrogen cutter at work.

Words cannot describe how anxious I am about seeing the completed product. It's almost like waiting for Christmas as a kid... I think I will name the box blade "Lever Action Red Rider BB Gun with a Compass in the Stock."

Old 03-05-2011, 11:03 PM
nickvanorman

any updates on this project? im anxious to see what you came up with.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Nick,

Hope to go into production very soon. Like next week. My fault that things are moving slower than expected. However, I'm back on point with this project!

I actually dropped off a lower bracket at the fabricators today so that they can make sure the lower mounting arms will clear when raised. The reason for this is that the cross bar and mounting arms are 1/2" taller than the original #40. We went from the original 1 1/2" square tube stock, to 2" and the clevis pins holes need to line up properly with the lower bracket hole. Might also need to radius the end of the mounting arm.

I'm as anxious as anyone to get this done. It should be really cool, but the proof will be in the pudding!

I also have another neat Cub implement in the works. Stay tuned...

Thanks!
Steven
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Grand Member

Looking forward to hearing about the next implement, Steve!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned

Looking forward to your progress and your next project details!