Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 AM

Default Carl's 107 Cub Cadet

I posted in the Welcome section about overhauling the steering on my Dads (Carls) aging 107. Thanks again for all of the responses, and I promise I'll post pics ASAP. Y'all are some real picture likin' folks, I see.
All 4 of my computers have recently decided that they don't recognize my phone anymore. (Where the pictures are)

Anyway,
I installed the new (used) spindles with new joints on the tie rods along with freshening up the steering gear box. It steers almost like new!
There's some wear in the axle bores, but I can live with that. Carl is really impressed and just tickled pink. His 107 hasn't steered that nicely in 30 years.

I noticed that the starter/PTO pulley was loose on the shaft and flopping around...again! That's not good!
When the motor was rebuilt back in the late 80/early 90's, the crank was replaced because the keyway was badly damaged due to that pulley being loose. The "notch" was nearly 1/4"!! It got a new pulley then, of course.
Inspection now shows that the keyway is again notched due to the loose pulley, but it's only about 1/16" deep and the pulley bore is visibly egg shaped.
I'm going to fix that recurring issue once and for all. New pulley, new key, new screws and 3 good tacks on the front of the pulley to the crank with the MIG welder. It's a K241 with a "recent" overhaul that doesn't knock or burn any measurable oil. I'll deal with grinding the welds off and repairing the crankshaft in about 15 years.

For about 2 years, Carls 107 has had a loud "squeak" coming from the front end when accelerating, It would lessen once the engine got hot, but it never went away. It seemed to squeak on every power stroke of the engine when starting or throttling up, but I never heard it when under load, like when mowing.
I thought it might be related to the loose PTO pulley, but that wasn't it at all. I listened and puzzled over it for quite a while today.
Turns out that it has a blown head gasket!
I eventually shot some light oil into the carb while watching the front of the motor through the grille opening and revving the engine. I got a face full of smoke from between the head and block on the right side. <cough, choke, cough>. Exhaust gases were blowing out between the gasket laminations.
A new, genuine Kohler head gasket is on it's way. In the interim, I'll check the head for flatness and clean up parts that were uncovered by the head removal.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Grand Member

Pics buddy, or it didn't happen.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaturnV View Post
Pics buddy, or it didn't happen.

There's one in every crowd, isn't there?
I'm usually THAT one, though.
Thanks for taking the pressure off of me for a bit, TSV.

A Micro-SD card reader is on it's way as I speak. There's more than one way to skin Windows 7.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Head Prep & Bolts

LSRX101: Good story! It is highly recommended that you sand the head flat on a 1/4" piece of plate glass before re-assembling.

And although it seems you know what you're doing, I'll mention chasing the threads for the head bolts and oiling them to get valid torque readings --best practice and all that.

Depending on how persnickety you are, you could/should replace the head bolts too, but I think some of the head bolts on Cub Cadets are kind of special, and since they don't hold a lot of torque anyway, as long a the threads are good, I would re-use them.

Just some thoughts from an amateur.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM

Thanks JayJay,
I was just recently reading a thread that talked about sanding the head for flatness. I never thought of that, so I'll give it a try. Gotta find a nice rigid flat surface, I don't have any 1/4" glass. Maybe the deck of my table saw.

I'm pretty anal about head bolts, so I'll be replacing them and chasing the bolt holes for sure. Hmmm, I wonder if ARP makes a head stud kit for Kohler engines...

I'm still waiting for the pulley and head gasket, so I'm going to clean and repaint the parts that I have removed.
One mounting ear was broken off of the upper grille insert (headlamp delete panel?) so I had my buddy weld that up. I heated up the old decal and removed it along with about 5 coats of various kinds of paint. I'll just paint it semi-gloss black for now, along with the grille mesh. As much as I'd like to clean up and repaint the entire tractor, I'm just going to do the various parts as I remove/reinstall them for the moment.

I remembered some old wheel weights and a snow blade for the Craftsman mower that Dad had acquired over the years and never used. Found the tire chains for the 107 too, they haven't been installed in over 25 years.
The weights are supposed to be from the neighbors old Simplicity Landlord, but they sit in the Cub wheels nicely and the holes line up. I'm thinking some yellow paint and a few carriage bolts are in order.

I think I'll drag the C'man snow blade out of the shed and see if I can come up with a way to mount it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? It would be cool to see the old girl doing something other than mowing or pulling kids around the yard in the trailer**.

**Carls 107 has entertained at least 2 generations of kids while doing laps around the yard with them in an old home built trailer and some blankets for padding. Me, my siblings, their kids, my 3 kids, untold cousins, neices and nephews along with all manner of assorted friends, visitors and various pets. Until it's "retirement", whenever there were any young children around, eventually the tractor and trailer would come out of the shed for at least a couple of laps around the 1 acre yard. During family get-togethers it was as popular as any carnival attraction could ever be, with rides sometimes extending "up the road" and back. There were always a few bungee cords stashed under the seat for baby seats, strollers, and once, even a wheelchair. Good times!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:31 AM

send your pics from your phone to your email and then save them on the computer from email.
just type in your email address on the line for the number in a pic text. get mine that way all the time.
#1 tiller
1 Farmall regular
Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 AM

Well guys, I'm finally getting around to posting an update.
It's been a hectic month with work, buying a house, getting ready for winter, buying a house, and general life as Murphy's long lost twin brother. I'm also buying a house, for the past 5 months, in case I forgot to mention it earlier.
( A word of advice; stay away from "Short Sale" homes unless you have an open script for Valium or a very high tolerance for B.S.)

However..., it's been a good month for Carls 107.

I got the new PTO pulley installed, along with the head gasket. She's running and mowing sweeter than she has in years!
I painted the grille insert, then broke down and ordered a new decal. When I showed the repainted insert to Carl, he said "Oh, you painted over the IH logo?" and looked a bit disappointed. (The old logo had 5 coats of paint over it.) I just had to order the decal.

The unknown (Simplicity?) wheel weights fit the wheels like they were made for them. I installed the carriage bolts to the wheels with spacers and nuts so that they act like mounting studs for the weights. Just slip the weights over the studs and nut them down against the wheels. At about 55 lbs each, I don't think that traction will be an issue along with the chains. It's been too cold to paint, so they are still a nice natural brown color.

The Craftsman snow blade had very similar mounting to the 107 quick mount, it just needed a bit of modification. While puzzling that out, I mentioned to Carl that snow thrower attachments for older Cubs aren't hard to come by and for reasonable money. That really got his attention, so I found a 'thrower" instead of the chintzy C'man blade.
I scored a late production CW-36 thrower in fantastic shape on CL for $150. I'm currently getting it mounted up (no quick mount) and have to make an adjustment rod for the chute. I just received the accessory lift bracket for the lift lever (Ebay) and got it installed today.

I know i promised pictures and haven't delivered. Sorry guys.
Both Cubs are coming out of the garage tomorrow for a well needed power wash and cleaning. I'll take some pics out in the open once they look presentable.

Oh,...you heard right. I said "both" Cubs.
Carl had some work done on the roof last week and the contractor noticed the 107 in the garage. He mentioned that he had a "One Twenty Something" Cub Cadet left in his barn, but had recently given away a "One Forty Something". He said "You can have it for parts if you want it, I'll drag it out of the barn."
It's a 126 and it came home today.
I started a new thread here:
http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/s...811#post158811

1982 Cub Cadet 782D
Why do I do this to myself?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Grand Member

Thanks for the update!

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM

Ok, I'm having issues with the mini SD card in my phone and lost a bunch of pics. Here's 3 of Carls 107 When I rolled it into the garage to start work on it.
It's come quite a way since then.
I've run into a problem with the snow blower, though. The pulley didn't line up with the PTO and needed to be moved back on the shaft about 1". Of course, someone had already stripped out the set screw. I've drilled the screw but the pulley still won't budge. I've got it soaking with B'laster and will get back to it soon. I just closed on my new (to me) house and have been pretty busy.
Enjoy, and see my "What's the best Cub Cadet" thread for pics of that one.

Wow, resizing them to 480x480 made it look stumpy. I'll have to play around with resizing a bit. I posted some better 600x480 pics in an album. http://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/a...hp?albumid=575
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-10-01 20.02.43.jpg (36.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-01 20.03.07.jpg (29.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-10-01 20.03.55.jpg (24.9 KB, 90 views)

1982 Cub Cadet 782D
Why do I do this to myself?
Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 PM
Grand Member

Thanks for the pics! Good luck with the 107.

My Grandpa's Cart
Craftsman Lawn Sweeper
Craftsman Plug Aerator