Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Off Topic > General Talk

Notices

Old 08-13-2016, 11:25 AM

The boxes were only 900.00. If I get another 20 years, I probably won't be around to see it get destroyed like the Craftsman did. I also bought a bunch of new hand tools from Sears. Those with what I already have, should be enough to rebuild a car? I'm keeping the old Craftsman top box to put odd ball stuff in. Can never have enough tools!
Old 08-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Grand Member

For what you plan on using the Homak for it will be a good box for you. I make a living with my tools. I have used a Kennedy 42" x 20" roll a way tool box for 30 plus years in 3 different factories. It has stood the test of time. I thought about replacing this year but just cant bring myself to do it. I could purchase 2 or 3 quality Kennedy's for the price of a Snap On of equivalent size. Not down playing Snap On but their prices are over the top. Craftsman tool boxes you pretty much get what you pay for. Their lower end tool boxes are junk. Drawer slides are cheap. I also have 2 craftsman rollers at home with ball bearing drawer slides which are good quality boxes.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:24 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
I have an 2003 pro series 50'' chest its heavy duty. I agree the newer ones aren't the same. I bought a Mac cover for mine and keep it covered that helped alot. Setting in a hangar that staid open 60% of the time it seen alot of abuse from humidity and dust. And it still looks new.

I just couldn't justify a Snap-on box or Mac price wise. Yeah its a tax write off but still. I used a mix of craftsman, mac and snap-on hand tools. The Snapon/Mac fit sockit wise is way better. The craftsman I had to be careful or you could damage a bolt. And when the Jesus bolt holding a wing on gets damage its gets expensive quick, $1000-1500 for a single bolt was not uncommon lol.

Homark looks like a rebranded General from HF granted the drawers loo different. Homark is Chinese I believe. My Mac dealer said most all the American made boxes were all made a basically manufacture. Meaning one vendor builds each brand then delivers them to the company. Or so he said its been a few years though since I asked him about it. That was one selling point he use to tell use over Snap-on so it may have been BS to get us to buy his boxes. lol

EDIT: The General made by HF is a decent box for what it is too. I never seen Homark in person just based on the pictures so can't judge it but if its like the General ones they its a good box. Especially for a recreational use.
He was trying to sell you a box. The Snap on tool box factory is about two hours from me in Humbolt Ia. I've toured it. Says Snap on the building not anything else.
They don't"farm out" Snap on boxes. They do outsource Blue Point ones though

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 08-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry C View Post
He was trying to sell you a box. The Snap on tool box factory is about two hours from me in Humbolt Ia. I've toured it. Says Snap on the building not anything else.
They don't"farm out" Snap on boxes. They do outsource Blue Point ones though
It was my understanding that the Snap-on plant is in Algona, Iowa. I knew snap-ons were made in house by them as well as MAC making there own.

I should have been more clear, my point was namely the entry/mid level stuff like craftsman, waterloo, and some of the other brands. What I meant was Waterloo made most the entry level boxes the way I understand it at one time. Not sure they do now though as most of them have moved overseas. And it may not all be made in the US lots uses overseas parts and assemble them in the US.

Either way the conversion with my tool guy, and yeah sure it was as selling point, and was a while ago so I am sure alot had changed manufacture wise with who makes what. anyway
Old 08-13-2016, 02:39 PM

I had a budget set at 1k for a box. I think the Homak will be ok for home use. I like that it's powder coated and has pretty good drawers. I picked them up at the local Home Depot this morning. Got the heavy ba%&s home, and the top was damaged. Looked like someone dropped it on the top right corner. It was hardly noticeable, but I bought a new box for a reason. Took it back, ordered another one. They discounted it after I raised some heii, and gave me free shipping to my front door at my consistence. Now wait again.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 PM

when i went to get a box,i went to Lowes.I like the Kobalt line of tools.I went to pay for the box and was offered 25% off if i applied for a credit card.I said ok.I went to pick the box up and there was catches on the back side.Talked to another manager and was offered 25% off.He never checked about the first 25% off from the other manager.I brought it home and went in the following week to pay off the credit card and THATS when it hit the fan.They tried to tell me i had to make payments on it. I pay it off and am still happy with my box.I think there like cars,you can buy a Rolls or drive a Yugo. It is just a different way of getting where you want to go
Old 08-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Grand Member

New tool boxes are great. Paying for them is not. I just got a new box for work (cheapo westward from Grainger) and although it's got a lot of drawers it's really tinny and not built very well. The first one was sent dented, the one I got on claim was dented too, but not as bad. No complaints because I didn't pay for it was the one allocated, just annoyed about the quality.

(May 1970) 147 w/an IH spring assist, 48" deck, 42" blade, 1969 73, #2 trailer, 10" Brinly plow and (on loan) Dad's #2 tiller.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:14 PM

Yes I was told by the matco guy in 05 all or most all U S are Waterloo boxes
Old 08-13-2016, 10:52 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
It was my understanding that the Snap-on plant is in Algona, Iowa. I knew snap-ons were made in house by them as well as MAC making there own.

I should have been more clear, my point was namely the entry/mid level stuff like craftsman, waterloo, and some of the other brands. What I meant was Waterloo made most the entry level boxes the way I understand it at one time. Not sure they do now though as most of them have moved overseas. And it may not all be made in the US lots uses overseas parts and assemble them in the US.

Either way the conversion with my tool guy, and yeah sure it was as selling point, and was a while ago so I am sure alot had changed manufacture wise with who makes what. anyway
Sorry you are correct Algona. I stopped for a tour of a trailer mfg in Humbolt on the same trip. My mistake, carry on.

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 08-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Grand Member

Saying what a good toolbox is might as well be another Hy-tran argument.
That said, my 26 year old Craftsman roll around has been a great box. I don't go in it near as much as I used to and it rarely gets moved. It is just as good as a Kennedy in their machinist line. My top box is a 26 year old Waterloo from Grainger. Its identical to a Kennedy machinist box--even has 2 sets of holes for the emblem. The brown wrinkle paint is slightly different and the drawer liners are a little different. If you aren't familiar with machinist boxes then you have no clue what I am talking about. Currently I have seen some Waterloo boxes I wouldn't have if you gave to me, too cheap to even sit in the garage and collect dust.
In my garage I have a decent Kobalt from Lowes. All it has to do is hold what few tools I keep here at the house and not turn over or collapse when I roll it around to sweep the floor. It has some sort of roller drawers resembling what you would find in a kitchen cabinet--not bad, but not something you would make a living out of.
In the farm shop we have 80's model John Deere "top box" sitting on the workbench--pretty darn big. No roller drawers but well built slide system. As good as any Kennedy, Waterloo, Craftsman, and possibly some tool truck brands. Sitting beside that we have a International (IH) tote box from the 70's. Its bare bones but well built, did I mention it was IH

When looking at toolboxes and metal shelving, one thing I consider is how much it weighs. Since they are still made from steel, not titanium, that's a clue as to how much weight you can put into one. If you ever luck up on a Vidmar or similar type cabinet on CL or somewhere, you may want to get it. I have a couple off brands at work with no wheels--I think the weight rating is 400lbs per drawer. Lets see the tool trucks top that within the same price range.
124 w/hydraulic lift
782 w/mounted sprayer
2284 w/54" mowing deck