Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Specialties R. F. Houtz and Sons Jeff in Pa.

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Welcome to OCC > Welcome to OnlyCubCadets

Notices

Old 11-30-2016, 11:37 PM

Default Project X: USMC Rescue

Hello new friends,
Pull up a chair, pop a cold one and let me lay it out for you.

My best buddy is a retired Marine who bought a used Cub Cadet 682 tractor for mowing his back acre. He paid too much for it, mainly because he's brave but not smart - about mechanical stuff anyways. However if you tell him to take a village he will kill everyone in it and deliver the village to you. So he is smart about some things... Anyways, almost immediately, the tractor stopped running and the mower stopped mowing. I showed up with some new plugs, clean fuel, and copious amounts of starting fluid and was able to get it running. But it still doesn't mow - I suspect the clutch assembly. But that's neither here nor there right now and certainly not our biggest concern. Read on...

Predictably, my friend's wife has been riding his butt for months and months about the broken tractor. She never misses an opportunity to point out his mistake in buying the tractor. And she is worse than any DI he ever had... She won't let him sell it and she won't let him buy another one. She has him right where she wants him...

So, I have organized a secret rescue mission for my friend which I call Project X. I plan to "steal" the tractor from behind his house, much like that TV show Overhaulin', restore it to showroom operational quality, and then give it with a hot, custom USMC paint job and then present it to him in a "reveal" at his annual BBQ next July 2017. I will be engaging some of his other friends former Corps buddies as co-conspirators to help with the caper (and hopefully to help pay for it).

I have joined this board to gain expert advice as I take on this project...I can turn a wrench but I have my limits. Like, I don't weld, I don't have any fancy clutch pullers, I probably am not going to rip an engine down to it's skivvies. I can do carburetors and electrical stuff and truly know enough to be dangerous. Very dangerous.

So finally, my ask to all/any of you: I need some bang-up, rock solid Cub Cadet guys/gals willing to put up with newbie questions and help coach me through this restoration... I am going to need lots of advice and probably lots of parts. I will supply pictures throughout the process and keep you all informed. This is for a good cause for a good guy and it will absolutely hopefully make him cry, which I will then capture digitally and mock him relentlessly. But I am getting ahead of myself...

I am based in Maryland. Sorry for writing you a novel. That's my introduction and hopefully I've come to the right place.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate your buddies commitment to our country and thank him for his service. I can also see that he is a good friend of yours too. I have a few of those kind of buddies too.

While I think it's honorable you wanting to restore his Cub and present it to him, I don't think it a solid idea. If you don't have the tools and lack the knowledge to do it outside of help from an internet forum, then this task is not for you. I am a professional mechanic. I have also done lots of carpentry work, plumbing, electrical work, and just about any "trade" you can think of. I have not however, spent much time as a machinist. I own a lathe, and I can use it. However, I wouldn't take on a machine project for anyone unless I was sure I could handle it on my own. If this was a project for yourself, that it didn't matter if you made some mistakes, or could live with a non-professional job... then that's one thing. But, since the machine is not yours, and admittedly don't know if you can handle fixing it on your own, I encourage you to just hire it done. It will cost you some cash yes. It will still make your friend happy, and someone will guarantee the work. (Use professional people, not "buddies".) This way, if it doesn't work as intended for a reasonable amount of time, then his wife won't hate him, and maybe you. Sorry I'm the party pooper, but I just don't think that trying to do something that you can't do on your own is a bad idea. Paying someone to do it would be better. Personally, I hate the whole notion of shows like Overhaulin'. If someone "stole" something of mine and rebuilt it without my input as to what I wanted.... I would be beyond pissed. Leave my sh!t to me, and if I want it fixed I'll get it fixed. But that's me. Others will be along shortly to say I'm a jerk and encourage you to do it I'm sure. This isn't what you want to hear I'm sure, but that doesn't bother me. Feel free to go get yourself a Cub and be a newbie here and we will help you along the way. Even if you decide to proceed, I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Good luck either way.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 AM
Grand Member

Love the idea. And am great full for your buddy for sure.

In a way I kind of have to agree with jmech on this. I would see if he would let you tinker with it for a little bit before you put your plan into motion. Then at least you have a good idea of what it needs to be fixed. The pto could be as simple as a broken wire (I've seen them get caught in the belt) or a airgap adjustment. Or it could be completely trashed and need replaced.

The kt17 engine that was originally on the 682 is defiantly not a favorite as it had oiling issues while running on hills.

I do love the idea for sure! And would be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck and any info you will need is right here on this websites. A lot of very smart folk here and a couple that have even built a business around cubs.
147 - leaf duty with bagger.
1811 - Ditch mower
800 - have it just cuz its a 800
Old 12-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Grand Member

Welcome to OCC!
I don't follow the crowd, I go my own way do things as I want, some unconventional.
I don't patronize people but in this case, John ,and cubby have laid it out pretty much as it is.
That Said,
If I were in your situation, first, I'd get him another woman, Ha,LOL!
Then go about repairing his Cub, not a chop cut butcher, or ken-dig-it or other
bull chit TV shows.
You/we need information as to what the problem/problems are.
pictures and a methodical problem by problem solving ,gets it done.

As you say the killing, of every insurgent so as to root out the problems one by one.
If it Doesn't run properly, then let's address that first.
Is it the original series 1 Engine or has it been replaced with series 2 or magnum which are all bolt ins?
As you go through the repair progress, and all is operational,and good to go, then you can dream about "custom foo-foo"
Again Welcome to OCC
Old 12-01-2016, 09:20 AM

Hey Ol' George,
A little more information: His wife is not as bad as I have said. She is friends with my wife and we all go out to dinner. She has a big heart and people mostly like her (just wherever she spits, the grass never grows again). :-)

Seriously, I actually let her in on the details of Project X and she loves the idea. I had to do this to prevent my friend from getting the cops involved when his tractor disappears. She is my insider. She has committed to ramping up the pressure and mockery throughout the process.
More to follow as the project unfolds...
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'George View Post
Welcome to OCC!
I don't follow the crowd, I go my own way do things as I want, some unconventional.
I don't patronize people but in this case, John ,and cubby have laid it out pretty much as it is.
That Said,
If I were in your situation, first, I'd get him another woman, Ha,LOL!
Then go about repairing his Cub, not a chop cut butcher, or ken-dig-it or other
bull chit TV shows.
You/we need information as to what the problem/problems are.
pictures and a methodical problem by problem solving ,gets it done.

As you say the killing, of every insurgent so as to root out the problems one by one.
If it Doesn't run properly, then let's address that first.
Is it the original series 1 Engine or has it been replaced with series 2 or magnum which are all bolt ins?
As you go through the repair progress, and all is operational,and good to go, then you can dream about "custom foo-foo"
Again Welcome to OCC
Old 12-01-2016, 09:14 AM

Hey Cubby 102,
Just to be clear, he's not going to know it was me who stole the tractor. So I won't need his permission. :-) And for the record, the day I showed up with my tools and got his tractor running was the best day of his summer. He would not care (if he knew) that me and all my new friends here at OCC are ripping apart his tractor....but touch his BBQ equipment and there will probably be trouble.
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubby102 View Post
Love the idea. And am great full for your buddy for sure.

In a way I kind of have to agree with jmech on this. I would see if he would let you tinker with it for a little bit before you put your plan into motion. Then at least you have a good idea of what it needs to be fixed. The pto could be as simple as a broken wire (I've seen them get caught in the belt) or a airgap adjustment. Or it could be completely trashed and need replaced.

The kt17 engine that was originally on the 682 is defiantly not a favorite as it had oiling issues while running on hills.

I do love the idea for sure! And would be happy to help in any way I can.

Good luck and any info you will need is right here on this websites. A lot of very smart folk here and a couple that have even built a business around cubs.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM

J-Mech, Thanks for the welcome and advice. To put some things in perspective, my friend is not mechanically inclined AT ALL. He will see the missing tractor as his Get Out of Jail card. He will pretend to be pissed, but over a beer he is going to toast the thieves who took it out of his yard.
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mech View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate your buddies commitment to our country and thank him for his service. I can also see that he is a good friend of yours too. I have a few of those kind of buddies too.

While I think it's honorable you wanting to restore his Cub and present it to him, I don't think it a solid idea. If you don't have the tools and lack the knowledge to do it outside of help from an internet forum, then this task is not for you. I am a professional mechanic. I have also done lots of carpentry work, plumbing, electrical work, and just about any "trade" you can think of. I have not however, spent much time as a machinist. I own a lathe, and I can use it. However, I wouldn't take on a machine project for anyone unless I was sure I could handle it on my own. If this was a project for yourself, that it didn't matter if you made some mistakes, or could live with a non-professional job... then that's one thing. But, since the machine is not yours, and admittedly don't know if you can handle fixing it on your own, I encourage you to just hire it done. It will cost you some cash yes. It will still make your friend happy, and someone will guarantee the work. (Use professional people, not "buddies".) This way, if it doesn't work as intended for a reasonable amount of time, then his wife won't hate him, and maybe you. Sorry I'm the party pooper, but I just don't think that trying to do something that you can't do on your own is a bad idea. Paying someone to do it would be better. Personally, I hate the whole notion of shows like Overhaulin'. If someone "stole" something of mine and rebuilt it without my input as to what I wanted.... I would be beyond pissed. Leave my sh!t to me, and if I want it fixed I'll get it fixed. But that's me. Others will be along shortly to say I'm a jerk and encourage you to do it I'm sure. This isn't what you want to hear I'm sure, but that doesn't bother me. Feel free to go get yourself a Cub and be a newbie here and we will help you along the way. Even if you decide to proceed, I'm sure you will get plenty of help. Good luck either way.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 AM

Default Project X: USMC Rescue - The Plan

All,
Knowing that this is the Welcome to OCC forum, what forum do you suggest I use for Project X updates?

Thanks,
-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by caproms1 View Post

Hello new friends,
Pull up a chair, pop a cold one and let me lay it out for you.

My best buddy is a retired Marine who bought a used Cub Cadet 682 tractor for mowing his back acre. He paid too much for it, mainly because he's brave but not smart - about mechanical stuff anyways. However if you tell him to take a village he will kill everyone in it and deliver the village to you. So he is smart about some things... Anyways, almost immediately, the tractor stopped running and the mower stopped mowing. I showed up with some new plugs, clean fuel, and copious amounts of starting fluid and was able to get it running. But it still doesn't mow - I suspect the clutch assembly. But that's neither here nor there right now and certainly not our biggest concern. Read on...

Predictably, my friend's wife has been riding his butt for months and months about the broken tractor. She never misses an opportunity to point out his mistake in buying the tractor. And she is worse than any DI he ever had... She won't let him sell it and she won't let him buy another one. She has him right where she wants him...

So, I have organized a secret rescue mission for my friend which I call Project X. I plan to "steal" the tractor from behind his house, much like that TV show Overhaulin', restore it to showroom operational quality, and then give it with a hot, custom USMC paint job and then present it to him in a "reveal" at his annual BBQ next July 2017. I will be engaging some of his other friends former Corps buddies as co-conspirators to help with the caper (and hopefully to help pay for it).

I have joined this board to gain expert advice as I take on this project...I can turn a wrench but I have my limits. Like, I don't weld, I don't have any fancy clutch pullers, I probably am not going to rip an engine down to it's skivvies. I can do carburetors and electrical stuff and truly know enough to be dangerous. Very dangerous.

So finally, my ask to all/any of you: I need some bang-up, rock solid Cub Cadet guys/gals willing to put up with newbie questions and help coach me through this restoration... I am going to need lots of advice and probably lots of parts. I will supply pictures throughout the process and keep you all informed. This is for a good cause for a good guy and it will absolutely hopefully make him cry, which I will then capture digitally and mock him relentlessly. But I am getting ahead of myself...

I am based in Maryland. Sorry for writing you a novel. That's my introduction and hopefully I've come to the right place.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Grand Member

Start by downloading the service and operators manuals for the machine you will be working on. Familiarize yourself with what things are called. This will save time and frustration on everybody's part.
Sounds like this project will not be able to go on all winter so whatever you can do to save time will help.
We have to have pics and lots of them.
We will all help. That's why we are here

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Grand Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caproms1 View Post
All,
Knowing that this is the Welcome to OCC forum, what forum do you suggest I use for Project X updates?

Thanks,
-Mike
IH tractors or CCC tractor would be the area you want to start a tread on this,depending on who made it. Both made 682s

O,100,72,102,123,104,124,105
(2)2182s w/60in Habans

Tags
682, project x, usmc