Only Cub Cadets

PLEASE PATRONIZE OUR SPONSORS!

CC Speciaalties R. F. Houtz and Sons

Patton Acres IH Cub Cadet Parts

Cub Cadet Parts & Service

If you would like to help maintain this site & enhance it, feel free to donate whatever amount you would like to!

Attention Folks we have a new owner!
Greg Rozar AKA- CubDieselFan

Go Back   Only Cub Cadets > Cub Cadets > IH Cub Cadet Tractors (GT)

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Grand Member

Quote:
by RPalmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merk
Sad to say some call a rebuild by honing the cylinder wall and replacing the rings.

That is not a rebuild in my book.

Sections 10 thru 12 in a Kohler Service Manual has the needed infomation to rebuild a motor the right way. I would ask some questions on how the motor was rebuilt.

Nor anyone else Merk. That doesn't even qualify as an overhaul. The biggest shame is talking to or selling something to a person that would call that a rebuild and you actually do rebuilds and overhauls. They don't even know what you are talking about and can't appreciate what is involved.
You be surprise how many think that is a rebuild or overhaul.

Quote:
by Matt G.
I think rebuild and overhaul are the same term. In the aviation engine world, 'overhaul' usually entails new pistons, cylinders, machining, etc. at least to some extent. Sometimes just the top end is done (I think this is referred to as a "top overhaul" ... any A&P in the audience please correct me) and a more major overhaul will bring the engine back like-new condition.

Where I'm from, 'rebuild' and 'overhaul' mean basically the same thing....in my mind, re-ringing an engine and doing not much else would be considered 'freshening up' in my mind.
I was thinking the same thing. It depends on where you live as to the term you use

Quote:
by Roblynn
Merk...I just spent some time reading the suggested sections in the Kohler Service Manual. I would tend to bet that there are a lot of engines claiming to be "rebuilt" that have just been disassembled, broken parts replaced and put back together. I may be an "old fart" but am pretty new to small engine repair. This site ALWAYS is a valuable learning tool for me.
My Son and I rebuild Kohler motors if anyone is interrested.

The following parts are replaced when I build a motor:
gaskets
piston
rings
connecting rod
governor gear (plastic gears only)
points push rod (aluminum version)
head bolts
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Grand Member

I have to agree with the guys... But would like to add, to a "motivated seller" dumping a can of "Tune Up" in the crankcase could constitute an overhaul/rebuild.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:50 PM

If the motor has had some work done it is possible that it was bored and a new piston fitted.In that case it could possibly be excess cam end clearance causing some noise which is a rather easy fix.If you buy them the first thing I would do is pull the head and see if there is a new piston in the bore.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 PM

I would like to just add my opinion. I do 100% agree with the previous post on rebuild throwing in a set of rings, honing the cylinder calling it a rebuild, that is like a used car salesman blowing smoke up a hole, or a snake in the grass. However if one were to pull a engine down to begin with, to me the trouble is to pull everything down, clean, and check tolerances. Now if a block was in good shape, on the medium even to high side of bore tolerance I had rather keep the original piston size than to have the block bored out the next size. This is just my own opinion/downfall I just don't like a bored block on anything pretty much, I would rather have a sleeved block if it had to be bored. Other than that known parts with issues such as the governor gear (from reading) etc would be something I would replace as part of a rebuild.

Another thing that gets me is the statements "bored 30 over" given in a way meaning it has more horsepower. In my opinion boring a block causes more trouble than any minuscule amount of horsepower gain (or loss) than it's worth.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
I have to agree with the guys... But would like to add, to a "motivated seller" dumping a can of "Tune Up" in the crankcase could constitute an overhaul/rebuild.
I would love to see a kept list of "Motivated Sellers" and most kindly put "hinkey mechanics". I have something like that in my head. But a place where anyone could look would be great. Probably need pictures for someone who is in love with their lawyer.

clint, Another problem with a bored out Kohler engine is that most people think like you said and never consider how they just changed the way the engine breaths. Their volumetric efficiency just went into the crapper.